Air Canada Cancellation Fees

sami66

Mouseketeer
Wondering if anyone knows what the fees are for cancelling a Standard Fare flight to the USA With Air Canada.
Searching on their website and there is no answer I can find.
Just deciding what fare to book for our vacation in November. Want to be able to cancel if needed. I understand the fare is non refundable. I’m assuming they reimburse with a voucher…?
Also trying to figure out if the Standard fare with cancelation fees works out to be less than their lowest refundable fare.

If I recall correctly, it's 100$ per leg to cancel your flight. I may be over simplifying it, but I'm pretty sure that was the cost to cancel the cheapest fare ticket.

here's a screenshot of the details of how they handle "refunds" but no cost is shown
Screenshot_20220819-223731_Chrome.jpg

MyPrince&Princess, thanks! I remember seeing that somewhere as well!

Donald - my hero, Exactly! I found the explanation, but no fees which is kinda shady imho

Normally, I just book with basic fare because when I’m going on vacation there isn’t much stopping me!
This time I need a way out

If you're booking a standard fare, you won't have any cancellation fees, but you'll get a flight credit and no money back (I think you may be able to exchange the voucher for Aeroplan points).

Thank you romanr27! Do you have a source for that? I just need to be 100%. If that’s the case I’d definitely book standard fare.

If you're booking a standard fare, you won't have any cancellation fees, but you'll get a flight credit and no money back (I think you may be able to exchange the voucher for Aeroplan points).
romanr27, you are right! 🙌🏻
I called Air Canada and requested a call back since it was a very long wait. Very painless and the rep was super nice.
Standard fares have no penalty when you cancel.
Refundable fares do.
Vouchers these days are taking about 10 weeks to be delivered.
So in this case I will be booking a standard fare!

romanr27, you are right! 🙌🏻
I called Air Canada and requested a call back since it was a very long wait. Very painless and the rep was super nice.
Standard fares have no penalty when you cancel.
Refundable fares do.
Vouchers these days are taking about 10 weeks to be delivered.
So in this case I will be booking a standard fare!
What do you mean by "Refundable fares do."?

Refundable fares have no cost to cancelling, and are fully refundable to the original payment method.

In May I had to cancel one of my tuckets because my mom had a stroke and they just gave me vouchers I wasn't charged anything. Ibalso had the basic fare.

What do you mean by "Refundable fares do."?

Refundable fares have no cost to cancelling, and are fully refundable to the original payment method.
Oh ffs! 😡
I will call AC again tomorrow! Honestly, you can’t get a straight answer! My DH heard the whole convo so I know I didn’t misunderstand what the agent was saying. I even repeated back what he said and he confirmed it to be correct.

Attachments

• 1661049274444.png
    1661049274444.png
    76.7 KB · Views: 1
In May I had to cancel one of my tuckets because my mom had a stroke and they just gave me vouchers I wasn't charged anything. Ibalso had the basic fare.
Sorry about your mom and having to cancel your trip!
My mom had a stroke in Feb, is still bedridden and has advanced dementia. She’s living at home where she is most comfortable, surrounded by family and getting lots of tlc.
I hope your mom is doing well.

Oh ffs! 😡
I will call AC again tomorrow! Honestly, you can’t get a straight answer! My DH heard the whole convo so I know I didn’t misunderstand what the agent was saying. I even repeated back what he said and he confirmed it to be correct.
Hmm. Bizarre. I recently cancelled a Premium Economy Flexible fare (to the U.S.) and there was no cancellation fee. I don't have personal experience cancelling any other fare classes, sorry.

EDIT: I just saw this on Air Canada's website:

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco...d-updates/2020/covid-19.html#/flexibleBooking

For changing or cancelling your booking:

All eligible fare tickets issued on or before July 5, 2022 for original travel between March 1, 2020 and July 5, 2023 can be cancelled and the full value can be transferred to an Air Canada Travel Voucher or converted into Aeroplan points with a 65% bonus.

Eligible fare tickets other than Basic issued on or after July 6, 2022 can be cancelled and the full value can be transferred to an Air Canada Travel Voucher or converted into Aeroplan points with a 65% bonus.

Basic fare tickets issued on or after July 6, 2022 are non-refundable and cannot be transferred to an Air Canada Travel Voucher or converted into Aeroplan points.

Existing bookings may only be changed or cancelled up to 2 hours prior to departure.

Refundable tickets will be refunded as per the applicable fare rules; a cancellation fee may still apply.

So if you combine the above with the screenshot posted earlier, it seems that there would be no fees to cancel a Standard fare to a travel voucher (or to Aeroplan points with a 65% bonus).

Last edited:
Sorry about your mom and having to cancel your trip!
My mom had a stroke in Feb, is still bedridden and has advanced dementia. She’s living at home where she is most comfortable, surrounded by family and getting lots of tlc.
I hope your mom is doing well.
Thank you so much. Yes she is doing much better. She is at home now and she is able to walk though she can't move her arm. Her right aide was effect.

Sorry to hear about your mom. But glad she is home getting that TLC. It makes such a difference to be home and get that love.

Thank you so much. Yes she is doing much better. She is at home now and she is able to walk though she can't move her arm. Her right aide was effect.

Sorry to hear about your mom. But glad she is home getting that TLC. It makes such a difference to be home and get that love.
Yes being at home has made the world of difference. She was deemed palliative and given a few weeks to a few months to live.

Hmm. Bizarre. I recently cancelled a Premium Economy Flexible fare (to the U.S.) and there was no cancellation fee. I don't have personal experience cancelling any other fare classes, sorry.

EDIT: I just saw this on Air Canada's website:

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco...d-updates/2020/covid-19.html#/flexibleBooking

So if you combine the above with the screenshot posted earlier, it seems that there would be no fees to cancel a Standard fare to a travel voucher (or to Aeroplan points with a 65% bonus).
“Basic fare tickets issued on or after July 6, 2022 are non-refundable and cannot be transferred to an Air Canada Travel Voucher or converted into Aeroplan points.”

My tickets would be issued after July 22, if today we are in August 2022.

“Basic fare tickets issued on or after July 6, 2022 are non-refundable and cannot be transferred to an Air Canada Travel Voucher or converted into Aeroplan points.”

My tickets would be issued after July 22, if today we are in August 2022.
Are you buying a Basic fare? Your OP says Standard fare.

Yes Standard.
I just want to confirm what are “eligible fare tickets“ as per the article.

Also need to clarify this, “Refundable tickets will be refunded as per the applicable fare rules; a cancellation fee may still apply.”

I will call AC again for my peace of mind

Ok so according to the AC agent I spoke to yesterday morning, there are no fees to cancel on any fares to and from the USA.

If cancelled:
-Refundable Fares go back on the original form of payment
-All other fares that don’t state “Refundable“ get either credit (valid for 24 months) or voucher depending on the fare chosen
-Basic fare is not refundable and no credit given if cancelled.

Standard fare is probably the best choice for us.

There is a refundable fare that you can cancel 45 minutes before departure.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter