• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Air Canada ending Aeroplan

Honestly I've never counted on Aeroplan because I fly more within the US than Canada. But my husband needs to use his rewards!

Good thing I am using up almost all my points taking DD8 to Ontario to visit her best friend. Now what to do with her and DH points as they don't have enough for a flight, maybe some gift cards?

Good thing I am using up almost all my points taking DD8 to Ontario to visit her best friend. Now what to do with her and DH points as they don't have enough for a flight, maybe some gift cards?
The program doesn't end until 2020

They've said they'll transfer points balance to their new program ..but it is 3 years away!
I'll kind of miss them ...been with them forever. My number starts with 109 ..long time
Oh well.....

They've said they'll transfer points balance to their new program ..but it is 3 years away!
I'll kind of miss them ...been with them forever. My number starts with 109 ..long time
Oh well.....

I read the opposite, that they WON'T transfer the points to the new program but that will honor the points even after 2020.

I read the opposite, that they WON'T transfer the points to the new program but that will honor the points even after 2020.
Right they won't transfer the points to the new plan. More accurately the points are Aeroplan's points not Air Canada's and Aeroplan will keep them when the Air Canada contract ends.

AC says it intends to let Aeroplan points be used for seats after June 2020. However, the operative word is intends and would require an agreement with Aimia and that isn't in place yet so not firm. And you can't earn Aeroplan points on AC flights after June 2029.

I thought I understood that any points earned through travel would become the new loyalty points and the rest would stay with Aeroplan. I suppose you'd have to initiate that transfer, however, as I would think there'd be a privacy issue with just 'taking' points away.

There's also the question of which bank cards (if any) will be affiliated with the new plan. Thinking ahead, I intend to ditch an Aeroplan affiliated card and get a new card that doesn't charge foreign exchange. One with no fees would be good, but I doubt there is one.

Ouch.... I have to giggle at this news because I have a family member who likes to "gloat" to us about how Aeroplan is so awesome and all we "have to do is like, use it, and we'll get sooooo many points...." Like all reward loyalty programs, you have to spend the money initially to GET the points, nothing is free... and we don't "pop across the pond to have a coffee with _____ in London and ________ in Brussels". That branch of the family tree might, but we don't!

Wonder how much scramble this has put on their travel plans... well, as long as I don't have them clamoring at me that I should really meet the "fam in Paris" because I'm not interested and I certainly do not have that kind of money! Maybe this news will halt these conversations... at least for a few months!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter