Air passengers behaving badly

On a long flight earlier this summer, the people behind me were asked by the flight attendant to switch seats with someone in the back. There had been a squabble over someone feeling like another passenger was coughing too much. She wanted the person to mask up and they refused, it escalated. At one point every flight attendant on the plane was back there trying to keep the calm. The nice people who switched were given all the drinks they wanted as thanks for keeping us from having to divert.

As a funny aside, on the flight back, my husband was offered a free drink by the flight attendant for helping two women shove their huge carryons in the overhead compartments. One's was so heavy she couldn't lift it. They had held up the line for several minutes.

Last edited:
Don't get me started on the whole carry-on situation and the mess the airlines have created with those rules. The new way makes boarding and de-planeing much more complicated and time consuming than before. One small roller bag should be checked for free on every single flight in my opinion.

Don't get me started on the whole carry-on situation and the mess the airlines have created with those rules. The new way makes boarding and de-planeing much more complicated and time consuming than before. One small roller bag should be checked for free on every single flight in my opinion.
With the increased reports I've been seeing of airlines losing people's checked bags, I'm not surprised more people are choosing to do carry on only. I do carry on only for MCO because baggage claim ALWAYS takes an eternity at that airport.

I agree that it makes the process take longer though.

The issue is people skirting the rules. If everyone just had a small carryon and a small personal item, per the policy......it would likely be fine. However, that's not what people actually do though. They have a large carry-on that likely is a good bit bigger than allowed and barely fits in the overhead, and a large second bag as there "personal item". By they time they cram all that in the overheads they fill up, because they were never designed for this purpose........and people end up having to check their stuff anyway......just free of charge now. Seems like just allowing everyone to check one small bag would be much easier. and speed up the process also. I have even heard a pilot say the weight distributions are all messed up from all the weight being in the overhead compartments and very little in the cargo hold underneath.

Last edited:
The issue is people skirting the rules. If everyone just had a small carryon and a small personal item, per the policy......it would likely be fine. That's not what people actually do though. They have a large carry-on that likely is a good bit bigger than allowed and barely fits in the overhead, and a large second bag as there "personal item". By they time they cram all that in the overheads they fill up, because they were never designed for this purpose........and people end up having to check their stuff anyway......just free of charge now. Seems like just allowing everyone to check one small bag would be much easier.
And despite FA's asking for people to put their smaller personal item under the seat in front of them, I see plenty of people who put their backpacks in the overhead bins, taking away space from the roller bags that can't go under the seat. (And when they get off the backpack is the only thing they're carrying, so it's not like they had something else that went under the seat and the backpack was the 'larger item' that then had to go up above).

Slightly related, but one time I was sitting in the bulkhead seat so I had to put my backpack up above. Later in boarding a guy took the middle seat and seemed unaware he had to stow all his stuff until the FA told him. By that point that bin was pretty full. He stated trying to move stuff around, then tried to jam his bag in the bin over/on top of mine. I had to tell him to stop it because I had a laptop in there and him slamming his stuff against mine could break it. His response was to take my backpack out of the bin (without asking my permission), so he could stuff his in. The FA saw what was happening and intervened, and was able to get both of our bags to fit without causing any damage to either bag or its contents.

The issue is people skirting the rules. If everyone just had a small carryon and a small personal item, per the policy......it would likely be fine. However, that's not what people actually do though. They have a large carry-on that likely is a good bit bigger than allowed and barely fits in the overhead, and a large second bag as there "personal item". By they time they cram all that in the overheads they fill up, because they were never designed for this purpose........and people end up having to check their stuff anyway......just free of charge now. Seems like just allowing everyone to check one small bag would be much easier. and speed up the process also. I have even heard a pilot say the weight distributions are all messed up from all the weight being in the overhead compartments and very little in the cargo hold underneath.
As mentioned, it's not just financial reasons to bring the carry on. No worry about lost luggage and not having to wait at baggage claim are HUGE benefits.

Also, the weight distribution comment doesn't make sense. They're worried about weight distribution forward to aft, definitely. Top to bottom wouldn't make a difference in flight characteristics that I can imagine.

It's only part of the issue. Our 1 1/2 hour wait for our luggage in Cancun in April...our luggage taking about an hour to come out in Chicago a couple weeks ago where my husband's came out in 30 mins mine took 30 mins more. And on that flight 80 luggage pieces didn't make it on (most likely due to tight connections). Then there's the fact that I traveled for years without a tracker but considered it a must to get one this year AND checked it constantly to see if it picked it up.

Yes you're correct people can overpack the carry ons but if you had so much more confidence in your luggage making it and in a more timely manner and in one piece you'd probably see less. Newer planes are better on overhead bin space, the 737 MAX planes for example SWA flies bigger. But planes by in large were designed from many decades ago when travel was completely differerent and unfortunately hasn't kept up when it really should have.

And despite FA's asking for people to put their smaller personal item under the seat in front of them, I see plenty of people who put their backpacks in the overhead bins, taking away space from the roller bags that can't go under the seat. (And when they get off the backpack is the only thing they're carrying, so it's not like they had something else that went under the seat and the backpack was the 'larger item' that then had to go up above).

Slightly related, but one time I was sitting in the bulkhead seat so I had to put my backpack up above. Later in boarding a guy took the middle seat and seemed unaware he had to stow all his stuff until the FA told him. By that point that bin was pretty full. He stated trying to move stuff around, then tried to jam his bag in the bin over/on top of mine. I had to tell him to stop it because I had a laptop in there and him slamming his stuff against mine could break it. His response was to take my backpack out of the bin (without asking my permission), so he could stuff his in. The FA saw what was happening and intervened, and was able to get both of our bags to fit without causing any damage to either bag or its contents.
That's sorta two different things

IF your backpack is your personal item it should be stored always under your seat until it's 100% boarded then you can look to see if there's room above.

IF your backpack is your carry on it can be stored in the overhead bin first however I have seen them request smaller items like backpacks, purses, jackets to be stored under the seat regardless of it being considered your carry on. You as the passenger aren't doing anything against the rules in this situation but may still be asked by FA to relocate your smaller item to under your seat.

But regardless no one should touch your belongings without your permission.

That's sorta two different things

IF your backpack is your personal item is should be stored always under your seat until it's 100% boarded then you can look to see if there's room above.

IF your backpack is your carry on it can be stored in the overhead bin first however I have seen them request smaller items like backpacks, purses, jackets to be stored under the seat regardless of it being considered your carry on. You as the passenger aren't doing anything against the rules in this situation but may still be asked by FA to relocate your smaller item to under your seat.

But regardless no one should touch your belongings without your permission.
Right, there's nothing against the rules about putting your backpack in the overhead bin. But the FA were asking people to put the smaller items under the seat to leave room for the larger roller bags, and some people didn't. So while not against the rules, it was against FA instructions (and really my bigger point was that it lacked common courtesy).

As mentioned, it's not just financial reasons to bring the carry on. No worry about lost luggage and not having to wait at baggage claim are HUGE benefits.

Also, the weight distribution comment doesn't make sense. They're worried about weight distribution forward to aft, definitely. Top to bottom wouldn't make a difference in flight characteristics that I can imagine.
Weight distribution matters in every single direction not just front to back. Every ounce of weight inside or outside of a plane matters, and is figured into how a plane flies / handles / lands. Weight above and below the wings is one of the major considerations when designing a new plane. Now the amount of weight we are talking is not a deal breaker for the pilots, but it is certainly a consideration.

Right, there's nothing against the rules about putting your backpack in the overhead bin. But the FA were asking people to put the smaller items under the seat to leave room for the larger roller bags, and some people didn't. So while not against the rules, it was against FA instructions (and really my bigger point was that it lacked common courtesy).
Unless people were boarding as the FA made that instruction they may have not been aware. FAs tend to make announcements multiple times to catch everyone so I'd give slack unless that particular person(s) who didn't oblige were making their way down the aisle when the announcement was made, even then some people are dealing with kids, or other issues and they just miss that announcement. I only would think something if the person's demeanor reflected (going back to the thread title) behaving badly. I hear what you're saying though for sure because some people can be like that and as you dealt with someone carelessly was messing with someone else's (yours) belongings in an effort to get theirs to fit in which is obviously poor behavior.

Just to be clear, I always carry-on. I also always pack pretty light and don't take bunch of needless stuff. I will continue to carry-on, but I prefer people to who bend the rules and carry too much stuff to start back checking their big giant oversized bags that don't fit well in the overhead bins.

Last edited:
Just to be clear, I always carry-on. I also always pack pretty light and don't take bunch of needless stuff. I will continue to carry-on, but I prefer people to who bend the rules and carry too much stuff to start back checking their big giant bags.

DH and I only take a small carry-on roller bag and a backpack each. We also pack light. When we go to Hawaii this fall for 2.5 weeks that's still all the luggage we'll take. Our hotel pre-cruise has laundry facilities and our condo post cruise does as well. We've also invested in lightweight quick-dry clothing so things can be rinsed in the sink and hung to dry and be completely dry by the next day.

Just to be clear, I always carry-on. I also always pack pretty light and don't take bunch of needless stuff. I will continue to carry-on, but I prefer people to who bend the rules and carry too much stuff to start back checking their big giant bags.
It probably doesn't help that the airlines differ on rules.

Air France has varying weights and number based on your ticket you purchase. If you fork over more money you get to have more weight, the size restriction is still the same "In the Economy or Premium Economy cabins, your hand baggage and personal items can weigh up to 12 kg (26.4 lb) in total. If you are traveling in the Business cabin or in La Première, your hand baggage and personal items can weigh up to 18 kg (40 lb) in total. Your cabin is shown on your ticket." This is just the airline sweetening the deal to paying $$$$ and a passenger with a giant bag may just simply have paid more.

BA was up to 51lbs

SWA is 50lbs

Delta is no weight restriction to majority of places

I won't go through all the airlines but they all vary and some are just based the class of ticket you purchased.

I'm not disagreeing with you, people should adhere to the rules but it's not always as cut and dried as "big giant bags". Only in very obvious size violations can that be as cut and dried.

Weight distribution matters in every single direction not just front to back. Every ounce of weight inside or outside of a plane matters, and is figured into how a plane flies / handles / lands. Weight above and below the wings is one of the major considerations when designing a new plane. Now the amount of weight we are talking is not a deal breaker for the pilots, but it is certainly a consideration.
Let's say you move every bag out of the overheads to the luggage compartment. How would that change the flight dynamics?

If you have too much weight in the front, you may not be able to pull the nose up. Too much in the back, and you risk not being able to push the nose down.

Student pilots are taught to measure the center of gravity forward to back and make sure the CG is in an acceptable window. There's no discussion of top to bottom.

DH and I only take a small carry-on roller bag and a backpack each. We also pack light. When we go to Hawaii this fall for 2.5 weeks that's still all the luggage we'll take. Our hotel pre-cruise has laundry facilities and our condo post cruise does as well. We've also invested in lightweight quick-dry clothing so things can be rinsed in the sink and hung to dry and be completely dry by the next day.
Same as I do. I hike and backpack camp a good bit, so I have invested in lightweight clothing that can be layered and laundered by hand very easily. Lightweight performance merino wool and other moisture wicking garments are complete game changers.

That's what I'd like to do for our spring Europe and fall Japan trip for next year. I'm heavily looking at pants that have the zippers that convert to shorts due to the weather as that will help cut down on what we need to pack and many of those are quick drying ones. I got laundry sheets for our cruise we just went on a few weeks ago and did laundry with them in the complimentary washers and they worked out well enough. If they work there they should work in a sink. I'm not saying I'd like to do laundry in a sink but I also don't want to lug more luggage around Europe and Japan than I have to. But length of time we'd be gone is part of the issue I think around 2 weeks give or take a day or two is the timeframe.

It probably doesn't help that the airlines differ on rules.

Air France has varying weights and number based on your ticket you purchase. If you fork over more money you get to have more weight, the size restriction is still the same "In the Economy or Premium Economy cabins, your hand baggage and personal items can weigh up to 12 kg (26.4 lb) in total. If you are traveling in the Business cabin or in La Première, your hand baggage and personal items can weigh up to 18 kg (40 lb) in total. Your cabin is shown on your ticket." This is just the airline sweetening the deal to paying $$$$ and a passenger with a giant bag may just simply have paid more.

BA was up to 51lbs

SWA is 50lbs

Delta is no weight restriction to majority of places

I won't go through all the airlines but they all vary and some are just based the class of ticket you purchased.

I'm not disagreeing with you, people should adhere to the rules but it's not always as cut and dried as "big giant bags". Only in very obvious size violations can that be as cut and dried.

Yep, I am not arguing either, I do apologize if it came across that way. If you are flying a domestic flight in the USA they all have rules on how big your carry-on can be, and people violate this rule every single day. The size limits don't vary much among the US carriers.

International flights are a whole different thing all together in my opinion. However, I will still carry on when I can.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter