Air Tran??

Jecca

DIS Veteran
I usually fly Philly to MCO via USAirways. However, for our upcoming Dec trip, the fares were just TOO high. Coupled with USAirways' current financial situation ;), we decided not to risk paying way high prices for a flight that might not exist next week. SO, we're flying Air Tran. I was hoping to get some input on this airline. If memory serves, some have had problems with them. Anybody have opinions?

I live in the poconos. I don't know what airport to fly out of. We usually fly out of newark, but they are not offering any reasonable non-stop flight. How are the fares from philly???

ATA flys alot of flights out of midway in chicago. The only thing I really know about them is that you really need to check your flight times before you go to the airport, ATA changes times frequently.

dansyr...I booked our November trip in May. I got two round-trip, non-stop tickets from Philly to Orlando for $353 total (taxes and all the extras they add on). US Airways was $759 for ONE ticket, almost the same times!:eek: This will be our first time flying Air Tran, but I know a couple people who has flown with them and they had no complaints.

Thanks Sharon,

I've been checking around and Us Airways and Airtran out of Philly seem to have the most reasonable airfare, about 186.50 pp. w nonstop flights

Trekker,

I don't think ATA and Air Tran are the same airline. I went to ATA's website and they are called American Trans Air and are based out of the midwest, while Air Tran is I think based out of Atlanta. Thanks for the info though! :D

from BWI to Tampa and I must say that the 8/30 flight was the best Ive ever been on. The entire crew couldnt have been any nicer, the pilot asked if we wanted to leave early since everyone had checked in - we of course said yes. The plane wasnt full so the flight attendants were moving people around to make sure everyone is comfy. The flight was great!! Cant say enough - I even wrote a letter to them commending them on their service.

The 9/7 flight was very good too - not as spectacular as the 8/30 one but still very good.

Ginny

I have flown air tran a few times from mich to fla and no problems. The fights were always on time. the only draw back for me was no non stop flights always had to change in Atlanta but never a long lay over.

flew from MCO to BWI the flight was good. The only problem it took me 1.25 hours to get through the check in line, they had 3-4 flights leaving in next 1-2 hours and only 3 people checking in. Others who have flewn them said this was not normal. But the price was great!!!

We flew AirTran for the first time last year. We have absolutely no complaints. Actually, they were one of the better airlines we've flown. I wouldn't hesitate to fly with them again. Presently, they're our airline of choice for both price and service.

Thank you everyone for your opinions. I'm glad to hear that so many of you are happy with AirTran. I hope we are so lucky... :D

To set the record straight, ATA is American Trans Airlines. Much of their business is done on charter if you've ever flown on one of those vacation companies that don't do their own. AirTran is none other than the old ValuJet, with an updated fleet of aircraft. I guess after ValuJet 595 they decided to change their name????

Originally posted by speedbird0001
AirTran is none other than the old ValuJet, with an updated fleet of aircraft. I guess after ValuJet 595 they decided to change their name????

That's partially true, actually Valujet was started in 1993, based out of Atlanta, while Air Tran (a totally seperate company) was started in Orlando in 1994. The two companies merged in Sept. 1997, which the larger Valujet taking on the Airtran name.

The old Airtran flew Boeing 737's which have all been retired, while the old Valujet flew DC-9's, which now make up 1/3 of the fleet.
Airtran is currently retiring all of these older planes and replacing them with the new Boeing 717's they are purchasing and plan to have 100% of their fleet by Dec. 2003.

Dh and I flew them once a couple of years ago. The airport they fly out of here in Mid Michigan is so convenient compared to Detroit!
I would fly them again, but they always stop at Atlanta. I don't like flying let alone changing planes and having to take off and land again.:(

oops! Thanks for setting me straight on that one everybody!

We normally fly ATA for two main reasons - low cost and no stops! It seems silly to me to pay more for a multi-leg journey when in two hours non-stop I'm in Orlando. That said - AirTran usually has similar if not lower rates than ATA and Southwest - but you ALWAYS have an added stop in Atlanta! So it's great if you're traveling to Atlanta, but it seems more reasonable to fly one of the other midsize carriers direct to Orlando. Also, I know ATA and Southwest are having on-line sales right now for travel through Dec. 11. If your trip is at the beginning of December I'd check their websites for a comparable deal - you have to book by Sept. 26th.:)

Just a note:

Airtran does not connect in Atlanta from every city. In some cities, they offer non-stop to Orlando.
Some of those are: Milwaukee, Bloomington, Flint, Dayton, Rochester, Newport News, Baltimore, & Philadelphia

Originally posted by travelcoupons
Just a note:

Airtran does not connect in Atlanta from every city. In some cities, they offer non-stop to Orlando.
Some of those are: Milwaukee, Bloomington, Flint, Dayton, Rochester, Newport News, Baltimore, & Philadelphia

That's right. I got two non stop tickets from Baltimore to Orlando for only $125 each in October! Great deal for a non stop.:D

I would love to get a deal like that for my trip in May. I'm patiently waiting for my dates to open up!!:bounce: :Pinkbounc

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter