Airbnb vs Resort with infant

arlinar

Mouseketeer
We plan on going next year to Disney World with my almost 6 year old and a 4 month old baby.

We keep going back and forth deciding if we should stay at the Art of Animation hotel or if we should stay in a airbnb.

Here is the list we did with pros and cons.

Airbnb:

Pros:

1. More space
  2. Private pool
  3. Full kitchen
  4. Can relax in between park days
  5. Can do more local attractions
Cons:
  1. Would have to rent a car and have to find parking
  2. Not getting resort perks
  3. May cost more
Art of Animation:

Pros:
  1. Always at the resort
  2. Transportation Provided
  3. Can easily get back to resort if sensory overloads/crabby baby
  4. Resort Perks
Cons:
  1. Being in a cramped space
  2. Not having a full kitchen

We are a family that likes our space. My son is Autistic and gets sensory overload easily mixed with a baby who might get tired easily and cranky, we thought the convenience of the resort might be useful but then again, we want space. In an Airbnb, we can put the baby in the master bedroom and she can nap while my son can go in the backyard and go swimming and play. In the resort, we would have to be pretty quiet while the baby napped or hope the baby doesn't upset my sensory overloaded son. Then again I don't want my son to miss out on a lot of resort benefits.

Familes with small babies, did you guys opt to stay at the resort or did you guys stay in an airbnb?

The biggest factor to me would be the refund policy for the airbnb. We use vrbo and their cancelation/refund policy can be horrible at some properties.

The Disney cancellation policy is way better than some of the home rental places that basically don't have a cancellation policy, so I would easily pick Disney.

Under normal circumstances, it would be important to me, but I would weigh in the other factors more heavily. I think this will be a covid world for a long time, so for now, we will be only traveling to places with generous cancellation/rescheduling policies.

There are plenty of off site condo rentals that aren’t Airbnb’s that are significantly cheaper than on site.

You could book a 1 or 1 bedroom unit through Disney. Old Key West or Animal Kingdom (we like Kidani over Jambo for the extra bathroom) would probably be least expensive. They might not have discounts now, but they will most likely offer them at some point. if you book a “room only” you can cancel up to five days before arrival.

Staying on property will allow you to easily return to your resort for breaks.

Assuming there's less covid in April, my 4 year old and 8 month old would be staying at a resort, but they'll also be sharing a room at home.

How about an All Star Family Suite? You would get a bedroom with a door you can put the baby in to nap. And while it doesn't have a full kitchen, it does have a kitchenette. You can do easy to microwave food, and things like cereal and bagels easy enough.

If you really want to be off site, check out the Staybridge Suites. It is a hotel right near Disney Springs. We have stayed there in a 2 bedroom, 2 bath unit that has a full kitchen. The price is decent, and you would have none of the unknown stresses of an Air BnB

The biggest factor to me would be the refund policy for the airbnb. We use vrbo and their cancelation/refund policy can be horrible at some properties.

The Disney cancellation policy is way better than some of the home rental places that basically don't have a cancellation policy, so I would easily pick Disney.

Under normal circumstances, it would be important to me, but I would weigh in the other factors more heavily. I think this will be a covid world for a long time, so for now, we will be only traveling to places with generous cancellation/rescheduling policies.
Agree. I would not risk an AirBnB unless they change their cancellation policy. There are too many unknowns with Covid and I wouldn’t risk not being able to cancel. There are lots of other options on/near Disney if you want space. I personally like to stay on-property, so I would look into the family suites.

When we've traveled, including our last Disney trip, we almost exclusively stay in an Airbnb type place. Our kids don't sleep well with us in the room, and we love having a kitchen. We looked at Airbnb for Orlando and places were small. We ended up booking through my work and getting an appartment. It was a ton cheaper then staying on site. We did need to rent a car, and pay for parking, but it was still cheeper then the two bedroom places we had looked at. I would love to stay on site one time when the kids are older and we might be taking in room breaks in the middle of the day.

Will be making our first trip with a 1.5 year old Thanksgiving week of 2021 and i was recently going through all of these decisions myself. All things considered the cheaper option was Airbnb which gave us a full house, kitchen and outdoor space to use as we please.

The one we booked was inside of a rental community that also has direct bookings, I would give it a look before deciding. https://encorereunion.com/

We also highly considered going with a condo which i looked at for previous trips... This owned by some of the folks at the DIS and pricing was pretty good. https://www.dreamsvillas.com/

For me staying on property is always easier. Especially with transportation. I despise driving on vacation and with car seats and a hot car in Florida I find it to be a pain. Walking to the car, letting the car air out for a bit, if car seat is too hot you gotta be careful with that before putting the kids in, loading the kids in, driving to the park, unloading the kids and strollers, waiting for a tram, Loading stroller and kids on the tram, riding the tram, unloading the tram, setting up stroller, walking into park. I would much rather hop on Disney buses, monorails or stay at an Epcot resort and walk to two parks.

Luckily my kids have always been hard sleepers so all 4 of us in a hotel room doesn’t mess with their sleep. They’ve been used to noise since they were infants so they can sleep through anything.

The small rooms have been an issue especially with my sons hyperactivity but since we didn’t spend much time in the room it was fine. Our midday breaks consisted of pool time.

if I were you I would go with a suite at all stars or AOA.

Agree. I would not risk an AirBnB unless they change their cancellation policy. There are too many unknowns with Covid and I wouldn’t risk not being able to cancel. There are lots of other options on/near Disney if you want space. I personally like to stay on-property, so I would look into the family suites.

I want to mention we are having to cancel an Air BnB reservation for somewhere else. There is supposed to be a button you can hit to cancel. But it is gone. We have to call a specific number and it will take up to a month to get our deposit money back. They are backlogged. Wanted to let you know as things are just not the same now as they typically are.

I would not choose the Airbnb . I would worry about all those important childproof necessities in a strange house. Plus Florida weather and traffic adds to a not very stress free trip.
If you can book preferred pool at Art of Animation ,you will have many options if weather forces an unexpected day in room. You can visit CARS and Pixar Art all over the Resort. Hang out in the pool or lobby while nap time for younger child. Lifeguards at pool ... The resort is connected by bridge to POP Century with the SkyLiner in the middle . So you have 2 completely different dining areas within walking distance.
Sounds way more fun than a house in middle of OrLando ....
I say Grab that ArtoAnimation Resort Reservation while you ponder options . Just in case price could drop but it could increase or not be available. Just verify the cancel policy
The Disney resorts also have Outdoor Movie Nights So much fun!
I just checked out of POP , the Hourglass Lake would be fun for your child to look for the turtles and fish from that bridge also! And birds flying over, stars at night, etc, etc

Last edited:
I personally would stay onsite. Going back to the room in the middle of the day is awesome. We dont even have little kids and get out of the heat for a little while. We like the all star movies family suite because its more affordable that AoA suites. In not knowing when they will open All stars
Look in to staying at a vacation club. There is a threads about them in the DVC section.
That way you can have best of both :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter