Airfare???

LuvGoofy6

Mouseketeer
I have been watching airfare for our trip to WDW in December. We went one other time in December and I can't remember when we booked our flights. It seems we had them booked by July. However, the best price so far as been $677 per ticket and those tickets offer horrible fly times. The cost of the best times (leaving early and landing in Orlando by 2:00 pm) are around $840. We are flying from the midwest. Does anyone have any hints or opinions on the best time to purchase airfare for December?

I have been watching airfare for our trip to WDW in December. We went one other time in December and I can't remember when we booked our flights. It seems we had them booked by July. However, the best price so far as been $677 per ticket and those tickets offer horrible fly times. The cost of the best times (leaving early and landing in Orlando by 2:00 pm) are around $840. We are flying from the midwest. Does anyone have any hints or opinions on the best time to purchase airfare for December?
We will be flying in December and I purchased our airfare back in May. It has only fluctuated by a few dollars since then but I don't expect it to go down a lot between now and when we leave.

You can use kayak .com and its fare predictor to decide whether a price is acceptable for your tickets. The fare predictor isn't fool-proof but it's better than just taking a leap of faith.

Other ways to get the price lower:
  • Fly off-peak (late night, early morning, Tues, Wed. Thurs.).
  • When you search for seats, the airline's search engine won't display the fares for any cheaper seats if they don't have enough cheaper seats for all the people in your search. So, start by searching for 1, then 2 and so on. This may mean that you have to split up your party when you board the plane. And you will not be able to book a single ticket for a minor. But you might be able to find one or two seats at a bargain price instead of all of your seats at the higher price.
  • Research flying out of a nearby airport or fly into SFB (Sanford) instead of MCO.
  • Don't forget to look at the checked luggage fees. Some airlines charge much more than others. Others have strict limits on your carry ons.
  • Consider using an online booking agent like Orbitz or Travelocity to book your flights. If you're really adventurous, try naming your own price on Priceline.

We will be flying in December and I purchased our airfare back in May. It has only fluctuated by a few dollars since then but I don't expect it to go down a lot between now and when we leave.

You can use kayak .com and its fare predictor to decide whether a price is acceptable for your tickets. The fare predictor isn't fool-proof but it's better than just taking a leap of faith.

Other ways to get the price lower:
  • Fly off-peak (late night, early morning, Tues, Wed. Thurs.).
  • When you search for seats, the airline's search engine won't display the fares for any cheaper seats if they don't have enough cheaper seats for all the people in your search. So, start by searching for 1, then 2 and so on. This may mean that you have to split up your party when you board the plane. And you will not be able to book a single ticket for a minor. But you might be able to find one or two seats at a bargain price instead of all of your seats at the higher price.
  • Research flying out of a nearby airport or fly into SFB (Sanford) instead of MCO.
  • Don't forget to look at the checked luggage fees. Some airlines charge much more than others. Others have strict limits on your carry ons.
  • Consider using an online booking agent like Orbitz or Travelocity to book your flights. If you're really adventurous, try naming your own price on Priceline.

Thank you for the suggestions. We really aren't able to fly out other than a Saturday or Sunday~due to everyone's schedule. I have been using Kayak and matrix.itasoftware.com but didn't realize they had a fare predictor~I will look at that. Also, I didn't realize looking for single tickets would make a difference. I will definitely start doing that. Thank you for your ideas!

[*]Consider using an online booking agent like Orbitz or Travelocity to book your flights. If you're really adventurous, try naming your own price on Priceline.
[/LIST]

Why? I can't think of any benefits in buying airline tickets through Orbitz or Travelocity rather than booking directly from an airline (my family buys many airline tickets every year). I would never buy a name your own rice ticket through Priceline either.

OP, it would be helpful if you named the originating airport.

Why? I can't think of any benefits in buying airline tickets through Orbitz or Travelocity rather than booking directly from an airline (my family buys many airline tickets every year). I would never buy a name your own rice ticket through Priceline either.

OP, it would be helpful if you named the originating airport.
Online companies tend to participate in rewards programs (like ebates) plus some have rewards programs of their own. Their search engines work in a similar manner to the one on kayak. It's not a big rebate but it's still money back. Since most airfare is non-refundable anyway, it's not a big deal to work through one of the online booking agents instead of dealing directly with the airline itself.

I completely understand why you might not want to "name your own price" on Priceline. It can be a crap-shoot. However, it is still an option that the OP might consider even if you reject it.

I wouldn't wait too much longer. New fees just went into effect and with one thing and another they are saying prices for airfare will be going up. May not happen, but I would hate to hold out in hopes of a drop in price only to have them go up. I would decide on a price I could live with and as soon as you see it, do it.

Yes, knowing where you are flying from might help in in suggestions too. Have you looked at other airports (if there are any others near you)?

I don't understand why anyone would use name you own price on plane tickets. You could end up getting an airline with many fees or very long or way too short lay over :eek:.

I know January has been real high compared to what I have seen in years past. That changed some today as American dropped their price substantially. They are now about 50% cheaper than Delta and United so I expect them to drop soon also. Delta is about 150% higher right now than we paid 2 years ago.

I don't understand why anyone would use name you own price on plane tickets. You could end up getting an airline with many fees or very long or way too short lay over :eek:.
Like I said, it's not for everyone. For some people it is worth the added savings. Not everyone is traveling with children that need to be entertained during stopovers. Some people are less concerned about arriving quickly if they can arrive cheaply. Obviously, there is a market for the "name your price" service, otherwise websites like Priceline would just disappear.

Like I said, it's not for everyone. For some people it is worth the added savings. Not everyone is traveling with children that need to be entertained during stopovers. Some people are less concerned about arriving quickly if they can arrive cheaply. Obviously, there is a market for the "name your price" service, otherwise websites like Priceline would just disappear.

I am amazed how much cheaper flights are with stops, especially if the stop is at the airlines hub city.

We are flying out of Rapid City, SD. Southwest doesn't service this area. We could drive to Sioux Falls or Denver but one is 4-1/2 hours and the other 6 hours away. By time we pay for gas and lodging (the night before we leave and the day we fly back) almost doesn't make the small savings worth it. We usually pay around $2200 for four of us to fly to major cities so to pay $3200 hurts a bit. I think I will keep an eye on the prices from Denver because that would be my best bet as far as a substantial difference from Rapid. As of right now, I can do Southwest for $2200. I worry a bit about the weather because the weather from Rapid to Denver in December could be iffy. Thank you for all the suggestions.

I am amazed how much cheaper flights are with stops, especially if the stop is at the airlines hub city.

That used to be true for flying out of PDX as well, but lately every destination I have been playing with has been more expensive than a nonstop from here. I haven't seen it be cheaper for over a year - its really confusing... who would pay MORE for hassle? :sad2:

Not always! Sometimes nonstop flights are cheaper. You just have to look.

Flying out of Buffalo the nonstop flights are usually cheaper with Southwest,I always wonder why someone would pay more for a connecting flight???

I've started planning my trips around the cheapest airfare. If I went on vacation when I actually wanted too I would be paying an arm and a leg for airfare. Now I look for when it is cheaper to fly and see if that will work in our schedule, if it doesn't work with our schedule I'll wait until some more cheaper flights come out.

I eventually get to go on vacation using this system. :rotfl:

A recent study that tracked airfare prices over the span of several years determined that airfare was at its lowest 54 days before departure. If you are flying out of a small airport where there are a limited number of flights, you may not want to wait that long. Also consider nearby airports as prices can vary considerably among different airports. Also use search engines like yapta and orbitz to check airfare. When you find the lowest, go directly to that airlines website and check prices. Be aware that Southwest does not participate in those travel sites so always check them as well. Finally, check baggage fees as luggage fees for a family of four can add up (Southwest has no baggage fees). Good luck and safe travels! :)

Not always! Sometimes nonstop flights are cheaper. You just have to look.

Of course. But of course too, some of the routing is nuts. I booked a flight, Sacramento to Orange County 2 weeks ago, and the lowest fare (by 50%) on Southwest was through their hub in Phoenix. Of course it took 3 hours instead of 1!

Southwest flies out of Minneapolis, I thru in some random dated of Dec 6 thru the 14th you can fly less than 300 a person, that would be well worth the drive. Even with a night in a hotel if necessary, since its a little over 8 hours of driving would be worth it. You can pick a hotel with free airport parking and shuttle to the airport.
Good Luck

Of course. But of course too, some of the routing is nuts. I booked a flight, Sacramento to Orange County 2 weeks ago, and the lowest fare (by 50%) on Southwest was through their hub in Phoenix. Of course it took 3 hours instead of 1!

I used to take flights like that, but I've gotten to the point where I'd rather spend the extra money for the convenience of a direct flight. Still looking out for good deals though.

I used to take flights like that, but I've gotten to the point where I'd rather spend the extra money for the convenience of a direct flight. Still looking out for good deals though.

We are at this point as well. With our schedules (both work) and a high schooler and college student we juggle schedules all the time. We have flown out of Minneapolis and Sioux Falls and the drive home plus extra days of travel were not fun-especially coming home. When I asked my family about going through Denver or flying Allegiant out of Sioux Falls and into Sanford they were all opposed. My husband said the convenience with time and not worrying about weather is worth the extra expense. While, I agree I want to try for the best deals. Colonel W, I will follow your advice and watch up to 55 or so days out. Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter