Airline Advice Needed

Pan's Dad

Earning My Ears
We have 5 adults and 4 kids plainning a trip to WDW Pres Wk 2002 - Our Mom got the following times from Albany NY to Orlando from a travel agent (which is much better than anything on the internet).

Southwest Airlines - all direct flights
approx times below

Fri 2:30-Sun 11am $350/per
Sat 7:50 am-Sat 5:30 pm $300/per
Sat 2:30pm-Sun 11am

Our preference would have been to leave sat 7:50 am and come back Sun 11am but the agent said they cannot mix and match times -seems like they come "packaged as is".

which would you do and do you have any other advice?
is it true there would be no way to get an early Sat flight and later Sun flight home? that stinks!

of course being the DIS person I am, i want to be there as long as possible! but we need to consider the kids and the fact that two of our party work for schools.

thanks

Pan's Dad, I'd fnd another agent. First SWA hasn't opened reservations yet for President's week. Second, of course you can mix and match.

Go to their website and I think you'll find that what I am saying is true.

You might want to go to Expedia and sign up for fare watcher. That way if the prices come down you'll be notified.

I agree. Any travel agent who is quoting Southwest fares for 2/02 doesn't know his/her business very well. Southwest will not begin selling those dates until probably around October. Southwest and US Airways are the only airlines serving this route non-stop. I suspect that US Airways fares will be falsely inflated until Southwest begins selling the dates since they typically set the fares on the routes they serve. There are exceptions, however, so you may want to keep checking US Airways as well.

i am unfamiliar with travel agents as i have always booked the flights myself over the internet; however, i believe they buy bulk packaged group tickets to sell and maybe that is why they have Southwest tickets to sell already?

i just can't believe they can't mix and match the times -

and then today, an agent told my brother that Southwest is offering pres week tickets on May 18; this does not agree to a post today on Southwest ticket offerings.

I, too, use the internet to book our flights....but i think your travel agent ate a fermented lunch...only kidding.
Maybe travel agents do things differently or get different info.
If it were me i would wait just a little longer before purchasing tickets, but then, i do everything the last couple of weeks before a trip, generally speaking. You may want to try http://www.sidestep.com
I like to use it to get an idea of prices for hotel, air and rental car.
Maybe you can book the flight yourself and use Dreams Unlimited if you need help with the rest of your WDW trip?

Southwest is indeed selling tickets for President's week through a group fare. Friends of my family have purchased their tickets non-stop from Providence to Orlando. They leave Feb. 15 and return Feb 24. They are paying $333.00. I could have joined onto their group to purchase my tickets but the price had gone up to $356.00.. They have a written contract with Southwest and they had to purchase at least 10 tickets to qualify for this group fare. The flights that they are taking are now sold out with group bookings so when these flights are opened to the general public there will be no seats left. The Southwest agent told my friend that there is zero chance of these ticket prices coming down since the flight is sold out. I chose to fly into JAX instead for $212.00.

Pan's Dad, I live in COLONIE too! What a "small world"..........

I agree with these posts - not a good travel agent! That is not true about not being able to choose.

Why don't you just sit tight for a bit and wait it out? If you are used to buying on the internet, just keep checking as the time gets closer (like the fall). Or, what about trying BJ's or Sam's Club travel if you have a membership. I won't mention any agency names, but did you go to a bigger chain in the mall? If so, try the smaller agencies:

Wolf Rd. near Shoppers Park(try this one last) or the one in Latham that starts with "E" (they are good) , AAA, Boscov's is pretty competitive in their pricing too! You are used to shopping around on the net, do it here too. Just make sure they will give you a voucher so that when the rates drop, you will be able to get the difference back.

Hope this helps neighbor!:D

I just wanted to say that I'm from Colonie too! I live outside of Ithaca now but both of my parents and the rest of my family still live in Colonie. I have been watching fares out of Albany to MCO and they are running a little under $200 for the summer. You have time to play with so I would speak to another travel rep. Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter