Airline Dress Code?

I feel like smaller + uncomfortable seats and the struggle to ensure your carry on luggage doesn't get gate checked makes people more irritable and more likely to behave badly than what clothes people are wearing. Oh and don't forget delays and cancellations.

I don't know about on airplanes (since comfort is relatively more of an issue), but people used to dress up more to go to theaters (live, not movie) and audience behavior was definitely better.

Maybe, there's something about the indication to the people in the clothes that it's a more formal environment and expectations are different.

So, beyond 'toddlerhood', I'd not be in favor of kids (or adults) in PJs on planes, just because some people do seem to forget that they're not at home and that they, therefore, DO have a responsibility to consider people other than themselves.
Honestly, if kids (or adults, for that matter) are in PJs on an overnight flight, I assume that means they're intending to sleep as much as possible, so behavior shouldn't be an issue.

I read somewhere awhile ago that people years ago dressed up more than we do today, not out of a sense of formality, but for a much simpler reason. They just didn't have nearly as much clothes as the regular person does today, so their "formal" clothes might be some of the only decent clothes they owned.

At the same time what's fashion?

To some the leggings I now wear, which are very comfortable to me for flying, are not fashionable. My go to for flying is leggings, a t-shirt, and my nautica zip up jacket. I'm certainly not thinking about what it looks like to other people. It's just what I have found is comfortable. Swap the leggings for loose (or fitted) sweatpants and does that really flip a switch and make me seem like I'm about to go to the laundromat?
I know what fashion is to me but it maybe something completely different to someone else.
Somewhat on target, older sister and I had this convo in the recent past.
I asked her opinion of a dress and this was her response, verbatim:

”No, no hell to the no. Are you trying to look like a burlap sack. Jeez Louise. “

I then sent her another IMO better pic of the dress.

“Having reassessed my opinion after watching this video I say no, no, no, no,no,No, NO. YOUR WAY BETTER LOOKING THAN THAT BAG OF ROCKS! ! Don’t make me say it again.“

Im awaiting delivery of the dress because despite respecting her opinion, I think she’s wrong. I call this knowing what fashion is 🤣

Honestly, if kids (or adults, for that matter) are in PJs on an overnight flight, I assume that means they're intending to sleep as much as possible, so behavior shouldn't be an issue.

I read somewhere awhile ago that people years ago dressed up more than we do today, not out of a sense of formality, but for a much simpler reason. They just didn't have nearly as much clothes as the regular person does today, so their "formal" clothes might be some of the only decent clothes they owned.
I'm sure that's true - wardrobes were much smaller - but I was referring to a consequence of that, which did seem to be an acknowledgement of a different environment.

As for the PJs, like I said, for some it can make them feel a bit too at home (said lightly!), but the ultimate decider is always going to be how they are parented. If anyone is very uncomfortable, that doesn't bring out the best in them either!

I dress for safety when flying, in case something happens. I wear all natural fibers (primarily cotton, but sometimes wool) and sturdy shoes. So you would likely see me in a pair of nice, but comfortable, jeans and a cotton polo shirt or a tee with a relaxed blazer.

I have received complimentary pajamas when flying international in business class, but I didn’t use them. I didn’t want to try to change in the minuscule (and not necessarily clean) bathroom on board.

I don’t believe that my personality is affected by what I am wearing, but I prefer to dress appropriately for the occasion and act appropriately for the occasion as well.

I usually try to travel light, and therefore, I generally will wear the heavier stuff that I don't want to pack, like pants, a jacket, sweatshirt, etc. (depending, obivously, on where I'm travelling).

In regards to the article talking about those in business class wearing suits, etc. That usually is for the same reason. When I travel for business, I usually need at least one suit or sports jacket (although standards for business travel have changed in recent years), so I would wear one on the flight.

The article the OP posted in someone's opinion. The author then quotes other who feel a certain way about this topic. That proves nothing. The fact A is related to B doesn't PROVE that A CAUSED B. You learn that in Statistics 101.

The article the OP posted in someone's opinion. The author then quotes other who feel a certain way about this topic. That proves nothing. The fact A is related to B doesn't PROVE that A CAUSED B. You learn that in Statistics 101.

Yes, correlation does not imply causation.

People used to dress more formally on airplanes than they used to and people behave worse on airplanes than they used to. This is correlation, the two factors (dressing less formally and behaviour) are associated.

People used to dress more formally on airplanes than they used to and this has caused them to behave worse on airplanes than they used to. This is causation. One factor (dressing less formally) is the cause of another factor (behaving poorly).

Air travel used to be more comfortable, I remember flying from Canada to South Africa in the 1980's and there being enough leg room for me to be able to lie down and nap when I was a kid. We also used to get full meal services including menus. Seats were larger, in the 80's none of the major airlines had seats that were less than 19 inches wide, today they are between 16 and 17 inches on average.

Pitch (distance between the seat back of one seat and the seat back of the one behind it) has also decreased. It used to be an average of 35 inches, now that has gone down to an average of 31 inches with some going as low as 28 inches.

For me, personally, I tend to dress for comfort on airplanes. Typically I wear leggings, t-shirt, and a hoodie. I have yet to have a meltdown on a plane and I believe that manners are important regardless of where you are and what you are wearing.

Edited to fix a word.

Last edited:
I watched an episode of I Love Lucy once, where they had to go on the subway. Ethel was wearing jeans and said she had to change into a dress because she wasn't going to wear jeans on a subway. Times really were different.
Yep. Jeans/ denims/dungarees were great for camping, playing outside and cleaning the house in an earlier time. The only people who would get on a plane in jeans would be a cowboy on his way to a rodeo, LOL

People used to dress more formally on airplanes than they used to and this has caused them to behave worse on airplanes than they used to. This is causation. One factor (dressing more formally) is the cause of another factor (behaving poorly).
I think you meant to say dressing less formally is the cause of another factor (behaving poorly), yes?

I don't recall airlines EVER having a dress code. I think people in general dress more casually in public then they did 30-40 years ago. That could be when at religious services, out shopping, at a restaurant or traveling by air. You CANNOT say that one CAUSED the other, that is an inaccurate application of how statistics work.

This is just odd. Misbehaviour is due to one’s personality not due to what they wear on the plane. I like to be comfy but am presentable as I am anywhere else in public. When my kids were younger I put them in pjs for red eye flights so they would sleep.

They also didn't have stretchy fabric and elastic.

On overnight flights I am 100% dressing for comfort. Lounge pants or joggers, t-shirts, sweatshirts (I'm always cold on planes), etc.

Although not guaranteed, one tip for possibly getting upgraded to 1st class is to dress like you belong there. Yes, you can buy a 1st class ticket and dress however you want. But for an airline to upgrade someone to 1st class, they typically shy away from people dressed too casually (think shorts, flip flops, and tank tops).

A co-worker and I had a business meeting at our corporate office. We were dressed in suits. To save expenses, our tickets were for economy, as the flight back home was less than 3 hours. When we got to the airport to head home, we were both upgraded to 1st class (my one and only experience there). Our time to get to the airport and make our flight was so short, neither of us had time to change or even take off our ties. I guess it paid off, though.

Although not guaranteed, one tip for possibly getting upgraded to 1st class is to dress like you belong there.
I think that's more or less like a travel hack that doesn't apply any longer as a more general thing, it's not as applicable today as you may think.

Airlines are more interested in selling upgrades. There's much more from various sources stating dressing a certain way isn't going to net you a free upgrade.

You might still be able to find a one off situation like you experienced but I wouldn't suggest someone dress up thinking that's a high shoo in. They would likely be wasting their time, effort and for some comfort.

I don't dress any differently when flying than I would have dressed that day if not flying.

I have never misbehaved when flying.

It has never occured to me to berate anyone, attack anyone, or any other inappropriate actions.

I am typically wearing shorts and a t-shirt.
Same here.

Although not guaranteed, one tip for possibly getting upgraded to 1st class is to dress like you belong there. Yes, you can buy a 1st class ticket and dress however you want. But for an airline to upgrade someone to 1st class, they typically shy away from people dressed too casually (think shorts, flip flops, and tank tops).

A co-worker and I had a business meeting at our corporate office. We were dressed in suits. To save expenses, our tickets were for economy, as the flight back home was less than 3 hours. When we got to the airport to head home, we were both upgraded to 1st class (my one and only experience there). Our time to get to the airport and make our flight was so short, neither of us had time to change or even take off our ties. I guess it paid off, though.
I know you mean well but that's completely not true. No one should go to the airport wearing a suit thinking they are very likely to get upgraded. What you're wearing doesn't matter. You got lucky which is awesome and even more surprising since there were 2 of you but what you were wearing didn't matter.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter