Airline prices are too tempting....Should I take a chance and book for August?

I would say yes. If everything is still shut down in August we have much bigger problems than vacations at that point.

We are at this point now in my opinion. That said, watching the people and fun live streams last night for the last night of MK being open on youtube gave me hope so I went ahead and booked September airfare.

If closures go into the fall I'm guessing the financial cost of booking now won't mean anything then.

We booked an August trip last September. I bought Southwest airfare for the trip out back in December, and for the trip back last week. Those prices are not going down at all. Why does it always seem to work that way for me??

That said, in your situation, with most airlines waiving change fees on new reservations, I'd totally do it!

If you can get your money back, sure. If they're just going to give you a credit for future travel, I say no.

I'm thinking about booking for August too. We have a trip planned for April and I'd be shocked if we don't have to cancel it. This was going to be our first trip in 6 years and assuming society doesn't completely breakdown If like to go at some point. It also would soften the blow for my kids since they're going to be so disappointed.

We booked our airfare with SWA as well (end of August - beginning of Sept). Best prices we have seen in years. If we have to cancel, at least SWA lets you reuse the airfare for a different flight.

We are booked in the Beach Club on points (my parents are DVC members). I am so looking forward to this trip so really hoping everything returns to some kind of normal by then.

United is offering free change fees on flights booked by March 31 so if you have to change your flight you have that option

I don't think I'd book anything outside of maybe Southwest right now, because their cancellation/refund policies are so generous. They just give dollar credit toward other flights, but I could find a way to use it within 12 months, so that's not so bad. I know most other airlines are not so easy to cancel without penalty.

Except our SWA prices haven't dropped at all and they were/are high

They are now saying the restaurant rules closures and public gathering rules might be in place for months. With that info disney won’t be open by august , maybe by the end of the year. Schools are also being said to probably not open until 2021.

I booked Labor Day weekend flights and they are totally cancelable so I’ll see what happens. I need something to look forward to

Last edited:
We booked our early Aug trip months ago. Alaska Airlines will totally refund airfare or rebooking fees, but fares have not gone down instead they’re higher. In light of the refund/change policy I went ahead yesterday and booked airfare for our Nov/Dec trip.

In a time of economic uncertainty around a global pandemic, booking a luxury trip wouldn't be my first thought. But to each their own! Not my money.

This. I wouldn't do it. I would be holding onto that cash for right now.

Yes - we are going to move our trip to August and found round trip fare on Southwest for $196/person. And we have the companion pass, so it's only $400ish for 3 of us!

Air for Oct for us is $158 round trip on Southwest so I went ahead and booked it - fine getting a credit if we can't go

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter