• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Airlines Must Pay Refunds

Just got my American Airlines flight for this May refunded; they had cancelled my original Orlando flight and substituted a connecting flight 2 hours earlier for the non-stop. Qualified under their contract of carriage for full refund. (But the refund website initially offered me a voucher, and then when I declined it offered me a 20% bonus if I took the voucher.) I doubt that my May Fantasy cruise will go, but it does, then I guess that I'll be booking new flights or we will be driving from DC!

I have a basic economy flight booked, and it’s saying no refund - is that correct?

Basic economy qualifies for refund if within affected travel dates or flight was Canx. Today, I got basic economy refund for nonstop that changed to connecting on AA.
Also got ff miles redeposit into account for flight to Italy without fee.

I’m submitting refund requests online and might call. My sister booked my DD and I tickets to visit April 10, and I would rather give her money back!

I have a basic economy flight booked, and it’s saying no refund - is that correct?

Even if you have a basic economy flight booked, the airline's contract of carriage still applies. What qualifies for a refund varies by airline, but in general of the airline changes your flights so they depart and/or arrive more than a certain amount of time different from your original flight (amount of time varies by airline), adds stops to your itinerary, and/or changes your flights in such a way that you would miss a connection, you are due a refund.

The link below gives a nice summary of the rules by airline:
https://www.smartertravel.com/ultimate-guide-to-airline-contracts-of-carriage/

Just received an email from United that our Chicago to Vancouver flight on April 26 (for the now cancelled Wonder sailing to Hawaii originally scheduled to depart Vancouver on the 29th) has been cancelled. Called United customer service and was able to arrange a refund in about 5 minutes, including a short wait to talk to a real person. Had a short conversation while the customer service rep explained the electronic voucher option, which I quickly rejected. She said to expect refund back to my credit card in 7 to 10 days. So, we’re waiting for refunds from DCL and United. Had already cancelled our Vancouver hotel and were able to move a DVC points rental for a post-cruise Aulani stay to a Disney’s Hilton Head Island Resort stay in October. Hope to be able to make that trip. Otherwise, the points/money will be lost.

Called Delta today. I asked for a refund because my flights had changed by more than 90 minutes. The agent confirmed that the changes were more than 90 minutes and processed the refund. The phone call took less than 5 minutes. The agent said the refunds usually take up to 7 days but because of increased volume it may take up to 21 days.

I'm just repeating what 3 different American Agents stated to me over the phone. It was around 2pm that I noticed that the flight was cancelled, called the TA by 2:30pm and told them I wanted a refund, and by 4pm I got an e-email from American that they changed my flight and I spoke with 2 agents that night and another one on Thursday that all said, don't respond to the change request and just let your TA cancel the flight and request the refund. So that is what we did. Now if they told me correct or not, I can't say but that is what we ended up doing.

Psy

Anyone have any experience with Chase Travel? My AA flight now has a schedule change which has a connection that is impossible to make. Speaking with an agent from Chase Travel who insists that there is no option for me to request a refund. Am I able to speak directly to AA regarding this or am I stuck dealing with Chase?

I think there are some actions taken for Europe in general for something similar, just wait it out. In my country for now it is fine that the airline gives out vouchers to survive, but they are in discussion with the government that if after a year a voucher hasn't been (fully) used after 12 months the airline has to proactively re-imburse. I expect something similar for all EU airlines.

So I guess we have to wait a year for DD's flight with KLM? Her flight on June 3rd was canceled today.

Anyone have any experience with Chase Travel? My AA flight now has a schedule change which has a connection that is impossible to make. Speaking with an agent from Chase Travel who insists that there is no option for me to request a refund. Am I able to speak directly to AA regarding this or am I stuck dealing with Chase?

I'd love to know what you find out.

I just received an email from Chase that my Alaska flight was cancelled. I'd booked it on Ultimate Rewards. Chase offered me the option of a flight that leaves 10 hours earlier and has a connection, which is obviously not acceptable. Instead of offering me a refund as is required by the DOT, instead they put in this ridiculous clause: "Depending on the policy of the airline you may request for cancellation. If you choose this option, you will receive FUTURE TRAVEL CREDIT from Alaska Airlines." I'm furious by this language. I am not cancelling, Alaska cancelled my flight and I don't want a voucher, I want a refund as I'm owed. Anyway, I wrote them back and tried to call but the offices are closed and allegedly you can't talk to anyone until 72-hours, which for me is a Friday night at 8:30 pm.

Called Delta today. I asked for a refund because my flights had changed by more than 90 minutes. The agent confirmed that the changes were more than 90 minutes and processed the refund. The phone call took less than 5 minutes. The agent said the refunds usually take up to 7 days but because of increased volume it may take up to 21 days.
Just wanted to update that the refund appeared on my credit card today. It took only 2 days.

My friend just called the airline directly (she had also booked with Chase UR points) and they issued her a refund. Chase travel is closed on weekends and she didn't want to wait. They refunded all three legs of her multi city itinerary. This was United, though.

My friend just called the airline directly (she had also booked with Chase UR points) and they issued her a refund. Chase travel is closed on weekends and she didn't want to wait. They refunded all three legs of her multi city itinerary. This was United, though.

Thanks. I spoke with the airline customer service - very helpful. Walked me through the cancel and request for refund process. Let me know that once the refund request was approved, the funds would then go back to Chase who would then process on their end and restore the points and $$. Said it might take up to three weeks for everything to shake out. Fingers crossed and stay safe out there!

Thanks. I spoke with the airline customer service - very helpful. Walked me through the cancel and request for refund process. Let me know that once the refund request was approved, the funds would then go back to Chase who would then process on their end and restore the points and $$. Said it might take up to three weeks for everything to shake out. Fingers crossed and stay safe out there!

Glad it worked! My friend was quoted 10-20 days as well.

Soooo.....My June flight has changed, we are going to cancel anyway.
It went from a nonstop to a stop....arriving a lot later.
They never sent me a "your flight has changed" email like they usually do.
Does that qualify for a refund? American

Soooo.....My June flight has changed, we are going to cancel anyway.
It went from a nonstop to a stop....arriving a lot later.
They never sent me a "your flight has changed" email like they usually do.
Does that qualify for a refund? American
Yes. My understanding of American's rules are 60 minute change in time or a stop added. It sounds like you've got both.

These bloodsucking airlines and their anti consumer rules can blow me At this point. This is not about bailing out poorly run businesses and failed business models. If these idiots could not withstand three weeks of zero revenue it’s their fault not ours, that what bankruptcy protection is for.

These bloodsucking airlines and their anti consumer rules can blow me At this point. This is not about bailing out poorly run businesses and failed business models. If these idiots could not withstand three weeks of zero revenue it’s their fault not ours, that what bankruptcy protection is for.
I think it will be a lot more than 3 weeks of zero revenue probably months if not a year. It's not their fault that the government shut down the economy. There's a long list of businesses that are going to fail and tens of millions of people laid off because of the shutdown. Did you not read the terms and conditions when you bought your ticket?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter