Airmiles Armchair Chatter

Has anyone booked a hotel using AM and cancelled? What about car rental? Do you get all your points back if you cancel before the deadline (for the ones that offer free cancellation). How long until your points are back in your account?
I feel awful that i never actually answered this question! I've had experience and knew i had read someone else did as well but i just never got around to posting the answer!

I had booked the Sheraton Gateway for the night before our flight waaay back in June, before the new hotel website was launched and never bothered adding the insurance because, dang it was $$$$$$, Fast forward to Oct 21st and we changed our flights to extend the trip meaning the hotel needed to be moved as well. I figured i had nothing to lose by asking so ended up calling into AM and they cancelled the reservation and refunded the miles to my account and the taxes & fees to the AMEX. The miles were back in my account before i hung up with the nicest agent EVER, she said it wasn't my fault i'd booked it before the change and she couldn't see any reason NOT to use the same cancellation policy they use now! I then turned around and re-booked the hotel for the correct night and bonus? It was even cheaper than the original booking!
Update on the AM hotel booking site.

1) I found Pop Century today, for my dates so they might be adding more availability for others too.
2) I learned it is, in fact, as simple as they said about cancelling. In fact, my 24,000 AM were back in my account after only 20 minutes. ***ETA - they are in my Airmiles.ca account, but not yet visible on the travel hub (so not yet available to re-book with). They did say within 24h, so we'll see.
*** ETA also - now approx. 1 hour after cancelling online, they are available to book again.
3) There is, however, a $10 NON-Refundable booking fee associated with every booking, so technically cancelling wasn't "free" for me, it was "free from the hotel side of things, but $10 from AM hotels website".

AND for your reference here's all the information from the website about cancellations for hotels.
Cancellations
How do I cancel my booking?
Sign in to AIR MILES® Hotels. Once you are signed in, click on your Profile, then select “View my bookings." There you will find an overview of all bookings made through your account. Confirmed bookings can easily be retrieved and cancelled from here. Be sure to review the cancellation policy prior to cancelling your booking, and keep in mind that non-refundable bookings will have no refund applied.
Where can I find the cancellation policies?
The cancellation policy is displayed above the “Book now” button on the check-out page before you confirm the reservation. You will also find the cancellation policy on the hotel details page. These policies vary by property and company; therefore, please read each one carefully. If you cancel before the deadline, you will generally not be charged any penalty by the hotel provider. Cancellation after the specified period results in the listed penalty. Some bookings cannot be refunded after booking (non-refundable).
How long will it take to process a refund?
If you paid using a credit card, your refund is processed immediately, but it may take up to 30 days to show up in your account due to bank processing timelines.
How will the refund be processed in the case that a cancellation fee applies?
The cancellation fees are generally defined as a portion of the total stay/price (i.e., cancellation fee = price of 1 night). In the case that a cancellation fee applies, the amount will be deducted from the Canadian dollars and/or Dream Miles amount paid at time of booking, and the rest will be refunded. Credit card refunds may take up to 30 days (depending on your bank’s conditions), whereas refunds of Dream Miles used will appear back to your Dream Account within 24 hours.

I don't have any information regarding car rentals but i don't think it's as easy as the hotel and i do know that the $$they charge to add cancellation insurance is NOT worth it IMHO

Thanks @Donald - my hero . I knew there was a new process and easy cancellation. Trying to decide how best to use the points for our next Disney trip. Have almost enough for 2 tickets and 4 nights hotel (have 2 of the non expiring ones still as well). Figured I'd book the hotel for now, then if I don't get enough points before Feb to order our tickets, I'll just cancel. Also thinking if I can't get the 60 day FP I want or the EMH times won't work with our plans, I'll cancel the 4 nights onsite and stay offsite the whole time.

Here is my First Grinch Who Village

zQ8XlAh.jpg

olJSdEH.jpg

S7O4aPW.jpg

8EBEjxZ.jpg

Hugs Mel

Adorable Whoville!

My husband was adamant that we not lose our Onyx status... (something about getting the personal shopper to find Park Hopper tickets) so off the family went into the snow, in search of more AM... :) Man on a mission in the meat department!

we earned a bit more, grand total today was 705 AM earned and only spent $0.97 per said AM!

Last edited:
Super cute village. Not sure we can do one. MIL gave s everything they owned but now we are on hold for the next 15 years or so because of the furbaby. Any designer pooch with the name doodle in it gets into trouble 24/7. We might be able to put a small one on the mantel if we redecorate the livingroom.
No real hurry here we don't have any snow we are still fall. No point in even gassing up the snowblower yet. Watch I just jinxed myself for 2 feet of snow tomorrow...
On a sad note, Staples doesn't pay much for AM. Got 2 tablets yesterday. I guess it's better than nothing.

Pinkgurlshubby, Read Donalds first post about shopping through airmileshops.ca. It's a good way to increase the earning potential of regular purchases. I don't know if it would have made a difference but it might have and it's something to be aware of if you do online shopping at all.

We only do light shopping on amazon unfortunately but for sure in this case would have been better. 1 mile fore every 40 dollars is archaic and cheap.

I was referring to the ability to be able to double dip with a multiplier on Airmilesshops and the actual store you're purchasing from. Sometimes you can get a great deal.

We only do light shopping on amazon unfortunately but for sure in this case would have been better. 1 mile fore every 40 dollars is archaic and cheap.
I was referring to the ability to be able to double dip with a multiplier on Airmilesshops and the actual store you're purchasing from. Sometimes you can get a great deal.
and staples is a smart choice to order from because you will get the 1/$40 from staples proper and then 1/$20 from the online portal and if there's also multiplier you'd get that as well! Even if you choose to pick it up in the store (we've been known to find something, head to a coffee shop, order it and then go pick it up after our treat!)

Murphy's Law...................................... I told the kids to not overload washer.......................
but who listens to mom............................
a piece of plastic on the agitator snapped off.........I can still use it but will have to be looking towards getting a new one. I used to buy from Sears.................dang double dang.
Is black friday using the airmiles shop a good option? (Nov 29th).
Any suggestions (top load) ,,,the less buttons and extras (bells and whistles) it has the better.

Hugs
Mel

Murphy's Law...................................... I told the kids to not overload washer.......................
but who listens to mom............................
a piece of plastic on the agitator snapped off.........I can still use it but will have to be looking towards getting a new one. I used to buy from Sears.................dang double dang.
Is black friday using the airmiles shop a good option? (Nov 29th).
Any suggestions,,,the less buttons and extras (bells and whistles) it has the better.

Hugs
Mel
yes! If you can wait a few weeks you'll be able to get a great deal. Both in price and miles. I think I made a post in the StB thread regarding last year's offers, but there's no question that they'll have a big promo and so will either Lowes or Rona

yes! If you can wait a few weeks you'll be able to get a great deal. Both in price and miles. I think I made a post in the StB thread regarding last year's offers, but there's no question that they'll have a big promo and so will either Lowes or Rona
Thanks Jacqueline
I found it
Black Friday Early Access 10 X mutliplier November 19th -22nd
Black Friday/Cyber Monday 15X Mulitplier November 23rd - 26th
One Day Flash Offer of 10X Dec 10th ONLY
Boxing Week 5X Dec 26th - 31st

Perfect!!
I know what I want ,,,,GE ,,,,4.4 top load,,,stainless steel basket
so far I have
under $600.00

Rona=$599.00 includes a 2 year warranty
Lowes=$598.00--includes free haul away. includes a 2 year warranty
Bay=$599.00 includes a 2 year warranty
what happened to the good old days when a washer lasted 15 years or more?

Hugs
Mel

Thanks Jacqueline
I found it

Perfect!!
so far I have
under $600.00

Hugs
Mel
I just did a search on Smart Canucks and last year for pre:Black Friday Lowes had 10X the miles on all appliances, actual black friday 5X the miles. Rona had 3X the miles.

You should be able to get a great deal!

Yes when mine was acting up the guy said to just keep fixing it as new washers are pretty much disposable now and old ones last forever with little fixes here and there
Said if may not be pretty but It’s worth it

QUOTE="bababear_50, post: 61251288, member: 138340"]
Thanks Jacqueline
I found it

Perfect!!
so far I have
under $600.00

Hugs
Mel
[/QUOTE]

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter