Airmiles Armchair Chatter

Sorry to hear about your food dilemma @Donald - my hero. This whole event is affecting us all very many ways. Can you special order in the tuna since it’s a specialty item?
What about Well.ca? Would they have the tuna? Hope the turn of this COVID-19 event won’t affect your diet plan!
@Donald - my hero check Well.ca and amazon (Whole Foods) for your tuna. You never know. And gave us the brand so maybe we can all send you cans if the worst happens.
Sending my love to you in words because the love emoji they have makes it look like you want to throw someone on the ground and have your way, if you know what I mean. Reminds me of the old cartoons where the persons eyes pop in and out of their heads. A simple heart would do it, lol.
Seriously, hope your day is full of cheer. Do what you can and don't worry about anything else.
Thanks for the support gang, I really appreciate it! I was talking to my mom earlier today and man alive, that woman needs an attitude adjustment, her response? "well maybe this is a sign from god that you should just give it up and eat properly. When you were little and had trouble eating things i didn't give you any choice" ***, seriously mom, I was having trouble with some of these foods when i was a young child and you never told me?!?!? Oh, and the god comment .. uhm yeah, NO!
I hadn't thought about ordering the tuna online so quickly looked and, sigh, not happening
Well.ca & Amazon

480645 480646

Then i had a brilliant thought -- our No Frills has the order online & pickup option!! I placed a dummy order to confirm they have the tuna and once hubby gets home with Fredrick (our sophisticated Fit :P ) I'll head out, buy a case and go thru the self check!!

11 Mar 20
SHELL CANADA
2525 THOMAS STSTANDARD OFFER+1
11 Mar 20
SHELL CANADA
2525 THOMAS STGO+ BONUS DAY - ALL GRADES+33
11 Mar 20
SHELL CANADA
2525 THOMAS STGET 10 MILES WITH 2 PEPSI+10
11 Mar 20
SHELL CANADA
2525 THOMAS STGO+ BONUS DAY - IN-STORE+9

Wednesday's Shell Bonus day miles posted today for me.

Hugs
Mel

My March airmiles so far.
11 Mar 20
SHELL CANADA
2 WESTNEY RD SSTANDARD OFFER+1
11 Mar 20
SHELL CANADA
2 WESTNEY RD SGO+ BONUS DAY - ALL GRADES+61
07 Mar 20
SOBEYS ONTARIO
AJAXSTANDARD OFFER+11
07 Mar 20
SOBEYS ONTARIO
AJAXBONUS REWARD MILES+25
07 Mar 20
SOBEYS ONTARIO
AJAXBONUS REWARD MILES+95
Plus I will be getting another 40 airmiles from my Sister buying gas at a different Shell on Wednesday.
So far this year I have earned 1890 regular/bonus air miles and the extra 1200 for Shop the Block for a total of 3090 air miles. Thanks to all you guys for the shopping tips. As you can see I am a big Sobey's shopper so that and Shell is where I earn the most miles.
I may or may not brave the shopping world today for some groceries. I did get some stuff yesterday but I do need eggs, rice and flour. It is so crazy out there. Jacqueline I hope you get your tuna today without too much stress.

I spent my morning in the craze of panic shopping. I don’t feel panicked, but I anticipate that we’re all going to be home by next week, and I would rather face the craze myself rather than having to drag my toddler.

Costco was absurd. I wasn’t going to get TP, but there were staff lined up throwing them into carts and they asked “1 or 2 packages” after throwing one in my cart, so I just said 1. We don’t need it, but maybe our neighbors or parents will. Otherwise, I doubled up on applesauce, grabbed a bag of frozen veggies, and got one extra case of beans. The line to check out wrapped around the entire store, and there were cars lined up to follow people leaving for their parking spot and cart. I wouldn’t wish the experience on anyone, but I’m glad to know I won’t have to face a mob with a 2 year old. I gassed up the car, stopped for toddler essentials at the drug store, and ordered extra cat food.

Now to make a big pot of turkey chili and start planning a couple weeks of fun home-with-a-toddler activities!

Thanks for the support gang, I really appreciate it! I was talking to my mom earlier today and man alive, that woman needs an attitude adjustment, her response?"well maybe this is a sign from god that you should just give it up and eat properly. When you were little and had trouble eating things i didn't give you any choice" ***, seriously mom, I was having trouble with some of these foods when i was a young child and you never told me?!?!? Oh, and the god comment .. uhm yeah, NO!
I hadn't thought about ordering the tuna online so quickly looked and, sigh, not happening
Well.ca & Amazon

View attachment 480645 View attachment 480646

Then i had a brilliant thought -- our No Frills has the order online & pickup option!! I placed a dummy order to confirm they have the tuna and once hubby gets home with Fredrick (our sophisticated Fit :P ) I'll head out, buy a case and go thru the self check!!

i’m angry on your behalf at the suggestion that your food struggles lately are caused by your diet rather than the diet managing it!

well meaning but misinformed advice, especially from our loved ones, is so frustrating.

i hope you can stock up on your tuna!

A couple of suggestions for shopping in the next few days.

Make a list.

Try to resist impulse buying.

Go when well rested.

Us the washroom before you go.

Some places didn't have shopping carts today,,take some reusable bags and just pop your stuff into them.

The atmosphere is a tad bit frenzied in some stores,,,,be calm and pretend it's like Christmas eve shopping.

Choose an early morning OR late at night shop.

Try to leave S/O and kids at home.

It's ok to be upset,fearful,out of sorts but try to be yourself and remember others are feeling out of sorts also. Remember to be respectful to service workers too,,they are feeling the same feelings as all of us.

Hugs
Mel

Oh my gosh! What a day I have had. I am on the Board of Directors for my son's daycare, and because two of the locations are in the schools, because Manitoba has cancelled school starting March 23 the daycare is closed too. So not only do I have to figure out childcare for myself during work hours I have to help figure out how/if the staff at the daycare are going to get paid during the closure.

I usually do my shopping at store opening on Saturday, I am hoping it won't be too bad. We actually bought two 12 packs of toilet paper last week, so just need some produce and meat. Not a big shop planned for us, I just hope at least 1/2 the stuff on our list is available.

I hope everyone else is doing okay, so much has changed in such a short time, I think we are all in shock. I feel so bad for everyone who had travel plans 😢
I just hope that all these measures help and the health system doesn't get overwhelmed.
And that we can start focusing on earning Air Miles again 😉

It's ok to be upset,fearful,out of sorts but try to be yourself and remember others are feeling out of sorts also. Remember to be respectful to service workers too,,they are feeling the same feelings as all of us.

Yes, yes yes! Thanks for saying this, Mel.

Not only are they feeling the same, but they’re still showing up to jobs where they’re dealing with high traffic, tons of possible exposure, and all kinds of rude/aggressive shoppers. They deserve all kinds of kindness for being there so the rest of us can feel a bit more secure.

Yes, yes yes! Thanks for saying this, Mel.

Not only are they feeling the same, but they’re still showing up to jobs where they’re dealing with high traffic, tons of possible exposure, and all kinds of rude/aggressive shoppers. They deserve all kinds of kindness for being there so the rest of us can feel a bit more secure.
I agree! I still don't understand why everyone is stockpiling, but I wish everyone would treat the front line people with respect. In any situation, the front line people always get the brunt of it from angry or scared customers 😕

Just treat grocery shopping like you would a really great Blue Friday shop. Make a list, go real early (at opening prefered) and get out before others are even awake.

Right now Mega Miles is all I have to look forward to. I will carefully plan and execute. Coronavirus is not going to keep my away from my AM.:P

Yes I did a little shop today. Needed rice, milk, eggs and flour and got everything except flour. My Sobey's in Ajax wasn't busy at all when I went around 3:30ish and they were continually topping up the fresh produce. People were buying cases of water and it looked like the entire frozen pizza and frozen fruit sections were almost empty. I actually forgot to buy bread - I know duh but I will go back another day for that. We have some at home. I actually never even went to that section so it may have been empty for all I know. At least with the bread flour I have at home I can make some. I didn't check my offers before I left so didn't realize that if I spent $125 I could earn a measly 20 air miles and I got to $119 before tax. I could have added a comic book to my total to get to the $125. Oh well que sera sera. It was funny because I bought a case of cokes for my nephew and some lady commented oh you have cokes but not water and I said yup have my priorities straight. Then I said and water comes from the tap.

Thanks for the support gang, I really appreciate it! I was talking to my mom earlier today and man alive, that woman needs an attitude adjustment, her response? "well maybe this is a sign from god that you should just give it up and eat properly. When you were little and had trouble eating things i didn't give you any choice" ***, seriously mom, I was having trouble with some of these foods when i was a young child and you never told me?!?!? Oh, and the god comment .. uhm yeah, NO!
Well.ca & Amazon

View attachment 480645 View attachment 480646

DId you check out Walmart?! I googled it (curious) and Walmart.ca shows they have this tuna $2.67 a can. Without salt or with sea salt. I hope this helps you.

Just back from Loblaws and no TP to be found. I did manage to get a rain check though, good for 30 days, including the 2000 bonus points. We'll have to wait and see if the panic buying is over by then.

Yes, I managed to get a rain check for 2 packages as well.

WOW, what a day! Sitting here watching the events unfold was like watching an epic 40 car pile-up in stop motion action, you want to look away but you keep getting drawn back in

We finally headed out to brave the stores around 4:30 in pursuit of the almighty cans of tuna - drove across the entire city, bouncing from one grocery store to another till we finally found some! Cleaned the shelf off and didn't feel the least bit guilty doing it either :P only got 8 cans which will do me till the next shipment arrives I'm sure. We were also looking for flour and yeast because i wasn't aware i was running low until i made hubby's cheese bread on Monday and i now predict a new trending hashtag new week #breadmakingepicfailure There was NO flour or yeast on any shelf in the entire city -- not even Costco! Hope everyone is prepared with decent recipes! BUT we did find something new in our Costco that is a total game changer for the way we shop there - we rarely buy more than 3 items at a time and the WORST part of the trip is paying. Standing in line with my bag of taters i spied some flashing lights .... TAA-DAA we have SELF CHECK!!!! I know a lot of people hate them but we prefer using them and in Costco it will make our trips much easier, we were in and out in less than 15 minutes and that's only because my hubby wandered off and got lost

I was NOT impressed with Metro and will be letting them know once I've cooled down enough for my complaints to be logical. I get that this is an unusual situation and stock is low so please give me a raincheck AND put on said raincheck that i also deserve my targeted airmiles. I wanted one for yeast but it's not in this week's flyer since it is a month long sale but the cashier refused to honour it unless she could see the flyer and didn't want to see the one on my phone. She wouldn't budge on the fact that I missed out on close to 50 miles from targeted offers because they were for items not in the flyer <sigh> yes i know .. but i still NEED them. Oh well, I'll chase them down later when there's staff i recognize in the store but dang, ticked me off!

Here's what our day looked like!

WOW, what a day! Sitting here watching the events unfold was like watching an epic 40 car pile-up in stop motion action, you want to look away but you keep getting drawn back in

We finally headed out to brave the stores around 4:30 in pursuit of the almighty cans of tuna - drove across the entire city, bouncing from one grocery store to another till we finally found some! Cleaned the shelf off and didn't feel the least bit guilty doing it either :P only got 8 cans which will do me till the next shipment arrives I'm sure. We were also looking for flour and yeast because i wasn't aware i was running low until i made hubby's cheese bread on Monday and i now predict a new trending hashtag new week #breadmakingepicfailure There was NO flour or yeast on any shelf in the entire city -- not even Costco! Hope everyone is prepared with decent recipes! BUT we did find something new in our Costco that is a total game changer for the way we shop there - we rarely buy more than 3 items at a time and the WORST part of the trip is paying. Standing in line with my bag of taters i spied some flashing lights .... TAA-DAA we have SELF CHECK!!!! I know a lot of people hate them but we prefer using them and in Costco it will make our trips much easier, we were in and out in less than 15 minutes and that's only because my hubby wandered off and got lost

I was NOT impressed with Metro and will be letting them know once I've cooled down enough for my complaints to be logical. I get that this is an unusual situation and stock is low so please give me a raincheck AND put on said raincheck that i also deserve my targeted airmiles. I wanted one for yeast but it's not in this week's flyer since it is a month long sale but the cashier refused to honour it unless she could see the flyer and didn't want to see the one on my phone. She wouldn't budge on the fact that I missed out on close to 50 miles from targeted offers because they were for items not in the flyer <sigh> yes i know .. but i still NEED them. Oh well, I'll chase them down later when there's staff i recognize in the store but dang, ticked me off!

Here's what our day looked like!
View attachment 480820
I would love a self check out at our Costco. I keep hearing they are building us a new one so maybe then. As for flour, I had DH go with me to Costco yesterday to get some non perishable supplies in. I'm not afraid to say we stocked up a bit. Not on TP though, I will never understand that. When it goes on sale I stock up but not for any other reason, no way I'm paying regular price or even a premium. I'll use my rain check and coupon when it comes back, no rush. Plus, I didn't have to ask them to put the points owed on the rain check, it was already there.

Anyways, I found flour and had DH put it in the cart. He didn't think we would need it but I'm of the thinking better safe than sorry. It will be used even if it's not used in the next few weeks. There were about 20 bags left but people were picking it up so I would bet there is none left for today.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter