Airmiles Armchair Chatter

I would never have considered a stick or cordless vacuum! Airmiles has 2 different ones and now I'm more confused (doesn't take much these days!)
@isabellea & @marchingstar - is that the ONLY vacuum you own or is it something you just use "in between" regular cleaning? We live in a split-level townhouse and have 3 full flights of stairs and a set of 6 steps into the basement as well and they are all carpeted. Currently have an upright and DANG, doing the stairs about kills me!!

Here's the 2 Airmiles has. First one is 4256 AM
https://rewards.airmiles.ca/merchan...motorhead-origin-cord-free-stick-vacuum/79721The second one comes in at MORE than either of the big ball-type ones - 8752 AM and i don't have that many!!
https://rewards.airmiles.ca/merchan...vacuum-with-bonus-qr-home-cleaning-kit/114285

I would never have considered a stick or cordless vacuum! Airmiles has 2 different ones and now I'm more confused (doesn't take much these days!)
@isabellea & @marchingstar - is that the ONLY vacuum you own or is it something you just use "in between" regular cleaning? We live in a split-level townhouse and have 3 full flights of stairs and a set of 6 steps into the basement as well and they are all carpeted. Currently have an upright and DANG, doing the stairs about kills me!!

https://rewards.airmiles.ca/merchan...motorhead-origin-cord-free-stick-vacuum/79721The second one comes in at MORE than either of the big ball-type ones - 8752 AM and i don't have that many!!
https://rewards.airmiles.ca/merchan...vacuum-with-bonus-qr-home-cleaning-kit/114285
I don’t have the stick vac , just the regular Dyson Pet with the ball. My parents and some of my siblings have the Dyson stick vacs though and they rave about them. I think we will end up with one eventually.
I do a lot of vacuuming with the two dogs and their constant shedding. A lighter unit would be awesome.

I've got the Dyson V11 cordless something (mine has the red stick) . I love it, we have all hardwood with the exception of the bedrooms which have carpet. You don't need to change attachments to go from one floor to the other. I bought mine from The Shopping Channel because it came with the docking station and many extra attachments.....it was around $400 in extras that I got for free. The one thing that Dyson has failed on is not offering an interchangeable battery. The charge lasts about 40 min on low power which is fine for hard floors. I can easily do the entire house on low BUT I much prefer to do the carpets/upholstery on max power. On max power the battery goes in about 15-20 minutes.

ETA: It only takes 3 hours to charge it fully so DH will do the whole house on low and then later I redo the carpets. I'm sure he rolls his eyes.

Last edited:
My parents have a Dyson stick vacuum. They love it. They have mostly wood floors but carpet in the bedrooms and basement (and stairs to the basement) plus they use large area rugs in the main living room. I inherited their old Dyson with the ball. Man that thing is heavy! It works really well though, and has so many attachments. I also have a very lightweight Bissel that I use on the stairs because it's easier to use. I had bought that one to replace an old vacuum and then my parents gave me their Dyson. I'd prefer one without a cord because cords are annoying!

I have a very old version of the cordless (stick) Dyson and I can do the whole house (2-storey house) with a charge. I do swipe with a broom when there's a lot of dirt on the main floor from the kids and hubby going in and out of the house without removing their dirty shoes! I only have hard wood except for the basement. Since I bought mine, my MIL, DH 's stepsister, my parents and my sister bought one to replace their vacuum. My sister bought the V10 and loves it since she has two cats that shed a lot!

So curious minds need to know....

I've been thinking about getting a new vacuum since middle son shocked himself on the cord of our current ancient upright which weighs a ton. It is bagless ,,but it has 4 filters which need to be washed all the time.

The cordless stick,,where does all the dirt go and how do you empty it out?

With the docking station ,,do I have to use this ,,I don't have a plug up on a wall that high,,could I just plug it into a lower wall and charge it?
OR
Is the docking station just a place where you store it?

How do you clean up high for things like cobwebs? Is there an attachment for this?

When you hold it you do not have to continually push on a lever or button to make it operate do you? I have a bit of arthritis in my hands .

Thanks
Hugs
Mel

Last edited:
The cordless stick,,where does all the dirt go and how do you empty it out? Is bagless and has a canister. If the house is really dirty, I might need to empty once before I finish but it's very rare (unless we are redoing the lawn and my youngest thinks it's a good idea to dig in the dirt for worms... :crazy2:)

With the docking station ,,do I have to use this ,,I don't have a plug up on a wall that high,,could I just plug it into a lower wall and charge it?
OR
Is the docking station just a place where you store it? The vacuum needs the docking system to charge. Mine is not on a wall because I don't have a plug high enough (will add when we renovate this year). Right now I charge it on my oven plug.

How do you clean up high for things like cobwebs? Is there an attachment for this? Depends on how high your ceilings are. I can reach them with one of the attachment.

The cordless stick,,where does all the dirt go and how do you empty it out? Is bagless and has a canister. If the house is really dirty, I might need to empty once before I finish but it's very rare (unless we are redoing the lawn and my youngest thinks it's a good idea to dig in the dirt for worms... :crazy2:)

OR
Is the docking station just a place where you store it? The vacuum needs the docking system to charge. Mine is not on a wall because I don't have a plug high enough (will add when we renovate this year). Right now I charge it on my oven plug.

How do you clean up high for things like cobwebs? Is there an attachment for this? Depends on how high your ceilings are. I can reach them with one of the attachment.

Thanks Hon
I appreciate the help.
I have carpeting in the bedrooms but everywhere else is tile.
Well it looks like wood but it's ceramic tile.

Mel

I can only be sort of helpful because we have a V11 (ours is just the base unit, no extra bells and whistles).

Same as @isabellea , our batter lasts between 15 and 45 minutes depending on power level and attachment. But that’s running time—you have to hold the trigger down when it’s running and the second you lift your finger it stops. So the running time doesn’t include any time you’re moving furniture/tidying/whatever as you go. I can get all my cleaning done on a single charge (around 1500 square feet)

We also have a roomba that runs in the main living area every night (because I love him, but toddlers are disgusting! haha). So I mostly use the dyson in the basement, the upstairs bedrooms, and bathrooms. It’s replacing an old upright vacuum though, and the stick has done fine as a replacement! Because you mehtioned stairs, it’s my favourite use of the stick! You can attach the beater bar right to the body of the vaccum, so it looks almost like a dust buster, and it’s so easy to get the stairs clean quickly and easily.

I don’t know a ton about the V7, but I would say it might be worth checking out some reviews.

Edit: since I added a picture to explain to Mel...you can get rid of the pink part, so the power head plugs in just under the clear section. That’s what I mean for the stairs!

Last edited:
The cordless stick,,where does all the dirt go and how do you empty it out?

OR
Is the docking station just a place where you store it?

How do you clean up high for things like cobwebs? Is there an attachment for this?

When you hold it you do not have to continually push on a lever or button to make it operate do you? I have a bit of arthritis in my hands .

Thanks
Hugs
Mel

just adding on...with a picture because I’m a visual person and why not...

- the dust bin is bag less. it’s up by the handle where you hold the vacuum. On my picture it’s the clear part above the pink stick. I have 3 cats and a toddler, so I find I do have to empty the bin a couple times as I’m going. It’s quick and easy though, just push a button.

- my vaccum came with a wall mount that charges the vacuum. I think it’s the standard setup. The cord is longer than it looks in my picture (I wrapped it up behind the wall mount), so it would definitely reach from a floor outlet. All my accessories plug in to the wall mount too, so everything is neat and contained.

- I think you’d be fine to vacuum cobwebs with it, depending on your ceiling height. You’d just point it up like a sword! haha

- there is a trigger button you have to hold to keep it running. With your arthritis, it might be worth visiting a store to see if it would be comfortable for you?

Attachments

• 87483426-338E-4FF3-9A84-CDDC0AE14F86.jpeg
    87483426-338E-4FF3-9A84-CDDC0AE14F86.jpeg
    39.1 KB · Views: 8
I've been trying to come up with how to earn the extra ~~650 miles to get the "better" stick vacuum (you've convinced me a stick type is the better choice for my needs!) because might as well go big or go home right? Looking on the Dyson site shows there is a significant difference between the 2 models that Airmiles offers and I'd rather wait to get the best one (same reason we prefer to wait to go on holidays until we can stay for as long as we want in the type of resort we like!!)

I only earned ~~1800 miles since March and that's only because i had a few really good Metro shops and several online purchases for $$ items related to hubby needing things related to setting his co-op student up to work from home.

Just opened up airmilesshop portal to see if i want to play that stupid game and stumbled onto this
I have no idea what i could possibly need to buy that would come anywhere close to $150 never mind $300!! Thought it might help someone else though :D

CHRISTMAS IN JULY

Terms & conditions (if for no other reason than my record keeping SUCKS lately and i can't find the terms for the last promo :( ) I've made the specific related to how much to spend & how and when & how the extra miles will post red and underlined (again mainly for myself!)

¹ LIMITED-TIME OFFER: Between 00:00:01 a.m. ET on July 7 and 23:59:59 p.m. on July 27, 2020, Collectors must make: (i) purchases at 2 different participating online stores that cumulatively total $150 CDN or more, excluding shipping, duty and taxes, to qualify for 50 AIR MILES® Bonus Miles; or (ii) purchases at 3 different participating online stores that cumulatively total $300 CDN or more, excluding shipping, duty and taxes, for 300 Bonus Miles. No minimum purchase required at any participating online store, but the minimum offer spend threshold must be made cumulatively across 2 or 3 participating stores, respectively, to qualify. Collectors must sign in at airmilesshops.ca before purchasing in order to get Miles and qualify for this offer. Offer can be combined with other Bonus Miles offers. This offer does not apply to purchases or signups made at the following stores: eHarmony, Disney+, Wealthsimple and Weightwatchers. Offer can be combined with other Bonus Miles offers. This offer is valid on the purchase of gift cards only at online retailers who regularly offer Reward Miles on gift card purchases. See airmilesshops.ca for details. All online stores are subject to change and may be withdrawn at any time. Once you meet the $150 spend threshold at 2 participating online stores, 50 Bonus Miles will be deposited into your Account. If you then meet the $300 spend threshold at 3 participating online stores, the remaining 250 Bonus Miles will be deposited into your Account as a separate posting. Please allow up to 70 days after the Bonus Offer end date for all Bonus Miles to be posted to Collector Account. For online travel stores (including travel bookings, car rentals and hotels), Bonus Miles will be issued once travel is validated. ®™ Trademarks of AM Royalties Limited Partnership used under license by LoyaltyOne, Co. Partner and Supplier trademarks are owned by the respective Partners and Suppliers or authorized for their use in Canada. *airmilesshops.ca Base Offer: Get 1 AIR MILES® Reward Mile for every $20 CDN that you spend per transaction per online store excluding shipping, handling, duties and taxes. Base offer may vary, click “Store Info” on online store logo on airmilesshops.ca for offer details. All online stores are subject to change and may be withdrawn without notice at any time. Collector must sign in at airmilesshops.ca before purchasing in order to get Reward Miles. Reward Miles will be posted to your Collector Account within 60 days. **airmilesshops.ca Multiplier Offers: LIMITED TIME OFFERS. AIR MILES® Reward Miles multiplier offers apply to the total base Reward Miles earned on qualifying purchase amount excluding shipping, handling, duties and taxes. Online store offers are subject to change without notice. See specific online store on airmilesshops.ca for offer details and any restrictions. Bonus Reward Miles will be posted to your Collector Account within 75 days. Prices are not always in Canadian Dollars. Please refer to each individual online store’s page on airmilesshops.ca to determine what currency is being displayed. While we make every effort to assure the accuracy of product information, we do not assume any liability for inaccuracies. Product information including price, availability, sales tax, and estimated shipping costs are provided by the affiliated online stores. LoyaltyOne, Co. assumes no responsibility for the accuracy or timeliness of information provided by the affiliated online stores. Please check the individual online store websites to confirm the accuracy of the information provided. ****Earn twice when you use your BMO AIR MILES Mastercard to make qualifying purchases online through airmilesshops.ca [and enter your AIR MILES Number]. The amount of Miles you get depends on the earn rate offered by the AIR MILES Partner and the earn rate offered on your BMO AIR MILES credit card. ®™ Trademarks of AM Royalties Limited Partnership used under license by LoyaltyOne, Co. Partner trademarks are owned by the respective Partner or authorized for their use in Canada.

So I just got off the phone with air miles about my flight from Orlando on Dec 5. The rep said not to cancel yet as Air Canada is allowing the vouchers/24-month credits for flights until May 2021.

So glad I don't have to waste my precious summer days on hold with Air Canada now!

well I need to be careful of my word choices here or my entire post will be full of stars because of the filters that the DISboards employ ...
I just tried to show the hubby the vacuum i want to get and it's no longer available!!!!
2 hours ago they had 8 different ones and now there's only 5

well I need to be careful of my word choices here or my entire post will be full of stars because of the filters that the DISboards employ ...
View attachment 507373View attachment 507374
I just tried to show the hubby the vacuum i want to get and it's no longer available!!!!
2 hours ago they had 8 different ones and now there's only 5
View attachment 507375
Wait a few hours and they could be back. You know how AM's is.
I don't vacuum, hubby does, and he has the one similar to Marchingstar. He loves it and brings it out almost everyday. We have a morkypoo and she has been shedding like crazy since the pet grooming places have been closed. He says it is the best purchase he has ever made so that should tell you a lot. A man who thinks the purchase of a vacuum is his best purchase, so you can't go wrong with it.
As a side note, since he retired a few years ago he has taken to doing laundry, vacuuming, dishes, and a few other house chores. He likes to keep busy and its not like I'm going to say no, lol. Keep up the good work dear!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter