Airmiles Armchair Chatter

I wish the Universal airmiles tickets were the old ones with no expiry,,,
9 months from the time of purchase for Canadians is a bit short in my opinion.
Hugs Mel

P.S. O/T (off topic)
anyone else like the new resort they announced for Universal (Endless Summer)
https://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs...nnounces-details-on-new-resort-endless-summer

The resort will be a combination of two hotels, Surfside Inn & Suites and Dockside Inn & Suites. These two hotels will be Universal's first lower price-point properties, with one-bedrooms starting at $73 a night, and two-bedroom suites starting at $111.

Yes I know what you are thinking
"Mel has gone over to the "Dark Side". Yes I do actually love Universal!
cc9848fd41ba6c8f9c5f3e30eecadc74.jpg

Last edited:
Just back from Sobeys (Barrhaven for those in Ottawa). Not a great selection of cold treats with Airmiles as they get their frozen shipment and get it out on the shelf Thursday night/(overnight?). I went today hoping for good selection. May have to go back tomorrow.

Just adding on a reminder that if you have cash miles you can cash in 95 for an extra 25.

Rexall flyer is live -- time to pick it apart :P Won't take long because it's not overly exciting!

Western Flyer
Ontario Flyer

• Friday - Sunday spend $30 get a $10 gift card
  • Sunday ONLY spend $50 on Beauty & Skin product get 100 AM
  • several of the products that would fall into the above category also have bonus miles
  • buy a $200 Air Canada gift card get a $20 Indigo e-gift card

Last edited:
I just did the big ice cream shop at Sobeys Kanata. One odd thing - they would not honour the egg bake deal - they had no sign and when I asked about it (pointing out in the flyer) they said that the system prints out the tags and that nothing was in their system.....

But to stock up the cottage with ice cream treats for all of the munchkins, I got 3x3 $3.99 ice creams various sorts $36 spend for 225AM. I had a threshold preload of spend $35 get 15AM. I also used megamiles coupon for another 20AM on vitamins which are on a good deal at this store, 10AM for $3 scrub pads on a deal, 2 base points on Sobeys and another 5 on the MasterCard for a grand total of $50 spent 277AM so 5.5AM to the $1 good deal Sobeys! (and I would have tried your weird egg things too if you had got it together)

I just did the big ice cream shop at Sobeys Kanata. One odd thing - they would not honour the egg bake deal - they had no sign and when I asked about it (pointing out in the flyer) they said that the system prints out the tags and that nothing was in their system.....

But to stock up the cottage with ice cream treats for all of the munchkins, I got 3x3 $3.99 ice creams various sorts $36 spend for 225AM. I had a threshold preload of spend $35 get 15AM. I also used megamiles coupon for another 20AM on vitamins which are on a good deal at this store, 10AM for $3 scrub pads on a deal, 2 base points on Sobeys and another 5 on the MasterCard for a grand total of $50 spent 277AM so 5.5AM to the $1 good deal Sobeys! (and I would have tried your weird egg things too if you had got it together)

OK this concerns me. Kanata store seems really difficult. We are moving from Barrhaven to Kanata this year... dang!

For what it's worth - the Maple Leaf buy 5 get 50AM items didn't have special AM tags but I still got the points. And the egg bakes did not have specal AM tags either but I did get the points. Bizarre that the Kanata store seems to mess around with the flyer.

So just to clarify - there is a Sobeys in south Kanata and one way up in north Kanata, and then one in Stittsville. I've given up on Stittsville as they are clueless about Air Miles - you can see some of my past rants on Mega Miles and how they never got the brochures. That store is always empty of customers. The night staff in there consists of teenagers who seem to try to avoid at all costs dealing with customers

The one in south Kanata on Terry Fox is generally pretty decent during the day - there is one older lady there that is very good on Air Miles. The one in north Kanata is a big new store empty of customers (like all Sobeys around here) but they are ok. They have a huge Rexall right next to them also empty of customers and thus always flush with items on clearance.

The flyer this week is odd. The one that is posted at smartflyer (hopefully that's right) is different that the one that is in our store. The one in our store has a completely different last page and doesn't mention the ice cream deal or the egg bake deal at all. The tags are up in the store for the ice cream (we bought 6 boxes of treats) but there are no tags for the egg bakes so we didn't buy them. The flyer that was delivered to our house also has the different back page that is pharmacy stuff rather than the ice cream and egg bakes. We might try to buy the egg bakes and see what happens but it's weird because you would think that the ice cream deal would be in the flyer and not just on the shelf. We can't insist on getting the AM because it's not in the flyer. Frustrating to say the least.

I didn't look at the flyer in the store - but it sounds like the same issue I ran into last night. I don't get flyer delivery to my house so can't verify. The way Sobeys would work is that someone at Sobeys Ontario on Eglinton and Dixie area would load all of the deals, including the air miles into a system which pushed them to the store POS systems. The store people then log in and it prints out all of the shelf tags (sales, airmiles etc). So it should be consistent with all stores. Sounds like they had a goof on their flyer - one version to the printer and another to their digital. No wonder the confusion!

I just picked up some more ice cream at Sobeys, also got a flyer. They didn't have any yesterday (odd). The back of the flyer I got definitely has the Ice cream and egg bakes deal on it. I can't imagine they would have different flyers at different stores in the Ottawa area. Might be worth a trip back to the store if you have your mind set on those egg bakes buy 3 get 50AM If it's in the flyer at their store they have to honour it.

The flyer this week is odd. The one that is posted at smartflyer (hopefully that's right) is different that the one that is in our store. The one in our store has a completely different last page and doesn't mention the ice cream deal or the egg bake deal at all. The tags are up in the store for the ice cream (we bought 6 boxes of treats) but there are no tags for the egg bakes so we didn't buy them. The flyer that was delivered to our house also has the different back page that is pharmacy stuff rather than the ice cream and egg bakes. We might try to buy the egg bakes and see what happens but it's weird because you would think that the ice cream deal would be in the flyer and not just on the shelf. We can't insist on getting the AM because it's not in the flyer. Frustrating to say the least.

I didn't look at the flyer in the store - but it sounds like the same issue I ran into last night. I don't get flyer delivery to my house so can't verify. The way Sobeys would work is that someone at Sobeys Ontario on Eglinton and Dixie area would load all of the deals, including the air miles into a system which pushed them to the store POS systems. The store people then log in and it prints out all of the shelf tags (sales, airmiles etc). So it should be consistent with all stores. Sounds like they had a goof on their flyer - one version to the printer and another to their digital. No wonder the confusion!

I just picked up some more ice cream at Sobeys, also got a flyer. They didn't have any yesterday (odd). The back of the flyer I got definitely has the Ice cream and egg bakes deal on it. I can't imagine they would have different flyers at different stores in the Ottawa area. Might be worth a trip back to the store if you have your mind set on those egg bakes buy 3 get 50AM If it's in the flyer at their store they have to honour it.

Yup, there are different versions of flyers, even within different areas of the province .. if you look closely on the front of certain stores you will see "version __" I KNOW for a fact that the CDN Tire flyers are different from Toronto that here in Guelph. On the Sobeys flyer specifically there is the CYA phrase "some specials not available at all stores" But why on earth different stores within the same city are falling under different flyers is beyond my little brain.

ETA: did a little digging on the Sobeys site proper to try and figure this out and found there ARE different versions:
Stores on March Rd & Terry Fox Drive in Kanata & Stittsville have "run 103" in the corner
Barrhaven has "run 101"
Trim & Innes "run 102"

WOW -- sorry gang, i had NO idea there would be a discrepancy this large!

I have Sobey's Ontario flyer run103 and run104 and neither have ice cream or eggbakes! I didn't check for the eggbakes! but the ice cream was tagged with the 75am promo and went through fine.

Perhaps if someone noticed the tag expiry dates they might want to post it?? I usually look but forgot to check the ice cream, most in-store blue tags said May 2. Sobeys seems to mention a few of their monthly promos in the flyer each week, wondering if this is what happened.

Last edited:
I just stopped in to the Kanata Terry Fox to get more ice cream and they didn't have any flyers to look at but I reconfirmed that Egg Bakes are not giving any AMs at that location. Oh well....frankly they don't look so appetizing from the carton - has anybody tried them?

There's a new batch of non-targeted LnG offers for Rexall today, on one of our cards that is, none on the new card
  • Spend $50 get 80 AM valid April 11th & 12th
  • Neutrogena Skin Cleansers buy any of these get 10 AM
  • Gillette or Venus Blade 4's-5's Selected Types (no idea WHAT the selected types actually are!) 10 AM
  • Coke 2L 2 AM
  • Listerine Original, Cool Mint, Fresh Burst or Zero Mouthwash 1L 5 AM
  • Doritos Chips 225g-235g 5 AM

I really wish that there were some better AM offers here in Manitoba. I rarely see "Use 95 get 25 miles" here, and I've never seen a promotion for gift cards, but maybe I have been looking at the wrong times.

Anyhow, I spent $148.83 at Sobeys today and got 562 AirMiles. I don't know if that's a good deal or not, but I didn't buy anything I didn't need (Okay, that Smartie ice cream isn't really a "need" but my son will be very very happy...) and have enough granola bars to last us through the rest of the school year. I'm tempted to go back for 10 more boxes, $2 is about as low as I ever see them now that I refuse to enter Walmart.

Does anybody else cringe when they see someone going through with a $500 order and they say "No" to the cashier when asked if they have AirMiles? o_O

That shop will put me over the amount needed for another Universal pass, which means we'll have all 4 for our summer trip to California. Woo! We bought Disneyland passes when the Canadian passes were on sale, and I used AM for part of our hotel stay. I'm definitely glad I got back on the AM bandwagon. It takes some planning, and some patience, but it can be done without buying a whole cart full of things you don't need! :)

Happy Friday!

I just got back from Safeway Blue Friday in Alberta...i did get 507 miles for this shop!!! That was with what was offered today...plus a few extra targets I had on my load and go app. I did bring in the ice cream treats into work ( I'm the only woman who works with over a dozen men ) so they cleaned up the ice cream treats already. So I might have to go get a few more for home. I did donate 4 boxes of granola bars and 2 boxes of cereal to the food bank. I won't have enough to use the spend 100 get 100 coupon...but I might go get an extra AM dip. :flower1:

The store that we go to is in Aurora and the flyer - both delivered and in store doesn't have the ice cream and egg bakes on the back page. In the actual store the signage is up for the ice cream (which we bought) but nothing for the egg bakes at all. The flyer says run 104. In the fine print it says it's good at the Ancaster, Aurora, Burlington, Milton, and London stores.

We have to go to Richmond Hill tomorrow so may stop at the Sobey's there to check things out and see what flyer they have.

Oh well....frankly they don't look so appetizing from the carton - has anybody tried them?

I purchased them from Costco last week. It was a box of 8. I tried one and disliked it very much. My saving grace is that DH will eat anything I put in front of him. That's where the rest are going as well. ;)

ETA: did a little digging on the Sobeys site proper to try and figure this out and found there ARE different versions:
Stores on March Rd & Terry Fox Drive in Kanata & Stittsville have "run 103" in the corner
Barrhaven has "run 101"
Trim & Innes "run 102"

WOW -- sorry gang, i had NO idea there would be a discrepancy this large!

That is some investigative journalism you did there. I knew that sometimes the flyers website and actual in store varied. I had no idea that we had 3 different zones in our little city.

Does anybody else cringe when they see someone going through with a $500 order and they say "No" to the cashier when asked if they have AirMiles? o_O

Once someone ahead of me had a huge order and they didn't have an AM card. I asked if she wanted to use mine and she did. I can't remember if the AM posted or not. Nothing ventured nothing gained. (All is fair in the Airmiles hunt.)

Just back from my Blue Friday shop. I spent $227.44 and earned 781 air miles. :dancer:

Even better - our food bank is the recipient of 20 boxes of granola bars, 10 cans of Chunky Chicken Noodle Soup and 24 x 1L SunRype Apple Juice. It felt good to donate all that, last month's Blue Friday had a lot of perishable items, so I didn't donate as much.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter