• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Airmiles Armchair Chatter

***** warning for any newbies or casual followers of this thread, you might want to just skip past this post, not related to the hunt AT all but I consider this group of DISers my family*****

I'm going to veer waaaaaay off topic here but I've been hinting over the last few days that I was at the point in my life that I'm able to share what's going on in our family that has affected how much I've been able to post and interact here since April. HUGE shout out to both @bababear_50 & @ottawamom who've been picking up the slack in this and the other AM threads to answer questions when I've been unable to concentrate, they've been a big support to me and I can't express enough gratitude.

I've created a "hidden spoiler" so if you're rather not read our family's COVID-19 disaster movie plotline don't click on it !

The day after the last shutdown in Ontario in April, our daughter's wife left her. Simply said while they were cooking supper that she didn't think they should be together, put her knife down and walked out of the house. No warning, from zero to I'm done out of the blue, everyone who hears is completely shocked. Any pushing for an explanation just led to more heartache and brutally cruel words that ranged from I wish we never met to if i spend one more minute with you I'll suffocate. SO there we were, in the middle of a global pandemic needing to pick up the pieces, find a lawyer, pack up & sell the house they bought less than a year ago (luckily they sold it for over 2K more than they paid even after the mortgage penalty pay out WOAH!), find an apartment (poor kid is in one so small you'd think it was a dorm!) for our daughter and the cat who was also left behind (that actually belongs to her still-wife because she doesn't want a divorce, costs more URGH!) all while everything in the province was locked down. I also hadn't even been cleared to start my treatments yet because I wasn't vaccinated so was in the depths of my own depression already!

SO there you go, why some of my grocery bills have been STUPID high, why I don't care how much things cost & if I even earn a single mile on anything I buy, why i celebrate tiny earnings and why I've been less than helpful in the hunt. If someone wants something for comfort we have the luxury of just buying it. You want frozen dinners that cost close to $6 and can only stomach 2 bites? On my way to the grocery store! You want ice cream at 2 am? Perfect Shell has an offer for 5 miles, off i go! You're worried that you'll be losing Disney+ because you're scared she'll cut that off too? FINE, I can do that thru the portal and earn 100 miles (they posted within 24 hours BTW and I've binged the entire Marvel Universe movies TWICE since then, we've watched a ton of old school movies, been a comfort for me!) This is also one of the reasons we're not considering going anywhere too far until 2023, we need to be close if we're needed. This has rocked our baby's world, 11 years of her life, simply gone. Yeah, she's 32 but still my baby!

SO -- if anyone out there is struggling in your relationships can I ask you to please speak to each other? Reach out for professional help if you need it, don't let things fester until one of you snaps. While our daughter is slowly realizing that they might not have been the best fit, discussing things at some point might have led to a mutual decision and perhaps not buying a house and getting a puppy (that ended up so ill she needed to be rehomed :( )to try and fix how *she-who-shall-not-be-named* was feeling!

I am so sorry to your daughter and you. The stress of the whole pandemic has made a lot of people just change . So so sorry. So happy for her she has you , having her back and mental health in mind . That is priceless Mama, good job . ( I wish my mom had been alive for my many dramas )

Will we have any big multipliers coming up anyone think ? I need a second iPad as I think I’m keeping the boys home another year. I feel absolutely sick about it , whether I’m doing the right thing but it’s worse right now than last year ..
and I feel sick about my new position . I took on more responsibility and bc of it , two others girls lost hours .( at least I think that’s why ) I have to go in tonight and I’m terrified .Certainly not what I wanted . I feel sick
Did manage to get to foodland get a 100 gift card and 10 granola boxes $147 spend and around same in ams. We may be eating granola for all meals of I stay home in January . Sigh

I haven’t posted here in a long time. Between Lowe’s no longer giving AM, and the fact that I bought a hybrid vehicle so never need gas, I’m barely getting any AM.

I did just get a GoPro, and lucked out with 7x multiplier from airmilesshops. 33 base plus 198 bonus miles just posted to my account!

And of course I have a conundrum. I bought a printer from Staples for work literally two days ago. There were no promos going on then. Now staples has 20x miles. Am I crazy for considering buying the printer again and then returning it under the old receipt? It was a pretty expensive printer at $439.99 before tax, so an extra 190 miles for something that I’m not even spending my own money on…

I haven’t posted here in a long time. Between Lowe’s no longer giving AM, and the fact that I bought a hybrid vehicle so never need gas, I’m barely getting any AM.

I did just get a GoPro, and lucked out with 7x multiplier from airmilesshops. 33 base plus 198 bonus miles just posted to my account!

And of course I have a conundrum. I bought a printer from Staples for work literally two days ago. There were no promos going on then. Now staples has 20x miles. Am I crazy for considering buying the printer again and then returning it under the old receipt? It was a pretty expensive printer at $439.99 before tax, so an extra 190 miles for something that I’m not even spending my own money on…

If it's easy to do, I would do it :)

Had a decent Sobeys shop tonight but forgot to check my balance preference before I went in... I wanted 100% Cash but it was set at 50/50. Does anyone know if the Air Miles post according to the date of purchase or the date of posting?
Hey ElCray
I just checked my account and I made a mistake changing balances too,,, now I just had to change it back to cash for a day to pick up a few more cash airmiles,,, dang.
I'll probably hit up Shell tomorrow .... at least they are posting quick.
Hugs
Mel

Go for it!

did the shell go+ bonus for Aug today and it posted instantly? I’ll take it lol I’ll do the other half tomorrow. (Reminder: It’s the spend $20 today in store (or 30L) get 50AM + then for rest of month when you do same spend you get 50AM one more time (you just have 9 days to do it vs 1)- opt in first on your shell go+ account online)

tomorrow’s purchase will also be the end of requalifying for shell go+ for next year. Which is funny because last year, I think it took me right up until end of December.

did the shell go+ bonus for Aug today and it posted instantly? I’ll take it lol I’ll do the other half tomorrow. (Reminder: It’s the spend $20 today in store (or 30L) get 50AM + then for rest of month when you do same spend you get 50AM one more time (you just have 9 days to do it vs 1)- opt in first on your shell go+ account online)

tomorrow’s purchase will also be the end of requalifying for shell go+ for next year. Which is funny because last year, I think it took me right up until end of December.
Had the same experience with the instant posting!

We're on a road trip to Atlantic Canada. Still 24 miles to go for Go+!

Has anybody ever redeemed miles for a cruise? Just wondering how it works? Do you need the whole cruise amount or can you put some towards it?
Not a cruise but I just used miles to reduce the cost of an all inclusive resort. You can only apply miles toward the base cost of a trip (taxes, etc. must be paid OOP). The miles will come out of your account instantly and you must pay the remaining balance at the time of booking. Also, with it being a third party booking you have no control over the reservations. I'm not thrilled about that aspect as I've booked business class flight and I have to deal with Redtag to book my seats....if I had booked direct with Air Canada I would have the reservation showing in the app and be able to book my seats. In this case though I wanted certain upgrades so that we wouldn't have to mingle with other people too much and using AM made it very affordable.

Last edited:
Had a decent AM day at Safeway. bought 2 x$150 gift cards to get 200 AM. Then bought $110 in groceries and got 155 AM.

AM related vent-
I am feeling very disheartened by AM, Disney and our covid cancelled 2020 trip. I still have not received our Air Canada flight refund from AM. They are now saying another up to 10 weeks from the July 12 deadline. All refunds were supposed to have been given by July 12 😔.
Then there’s our AM purchased 5-day Canadian resident parkhoppers that are set to expire Dec 16, 2021. We can’t travel there before that date. Originally I was least concerned about these because in the past you could always upgrade the value at guest services if they were expired. However now Disneyland has a reservation system where you have to reserve your park days from 120 days out and you must have a valid ticket to do so. Can’t go to the parks without a reservation and can’t upgrade our tickets to valid without going to the parks. A terrible catch-22 especially when you also need to fly to get there! AM says they won’t refund and to contact Disney. Disney says because we didn’t purchase through them, they can’t refund. Only way to upgrade is at guest services in the park.
Just so sad about all of this, between the flights and park tickets it’s over 28,000 hard earned AM plus taxes/fees on flights that are useless to me right now. 😔

Had a decent AM day at Safeway. bought 2 x$150 gift cards to get 200 AM. Then bought $110 in groceries and got 155 AM.

AM related vent-
I am feeling very disheartened by AM, Disney and our covid cancelled 2020 trip. I still have not received our Air Canada flight refund from AM. They are now saying another up to 10 weeks from the July 12 deadline. All refunds were supposed to have been given by July 12 😔.
Then there’s our AM purchased 5-day Canadian resident parkhoppers that are set to expire Dec 16, 2021. We can’t travel there before that date. Originally I was least concerned about these because in the past you could always upgrade the value at guest services if they were expired. However now Disneyland has a reservation system where you have to reserve your park days from 120 days out and you must have a valid ticket to do so. Can’t go to the parks without a reservation and can’t upgrade our tickets to valid without going to the parks. A terrible catch-22 especially when you also need to fly to get there! AM says they won’t refund and to contact Disney. Disney says because we didn’t purchase through them, they can’t refund. Only way to upgrade is at guest services in the park.
Just so sad about all of this, between the flights and park tickets it’s over 28,000 hard earned AM plus taxes/fees on flights that are useless to me right now. 😔

Cari
Maybe it’s diff for DL but I upgraded extended our WDW tickets over the phone and paid the difference . It will be interesting because no matter the situation now we aren’t going so who knows what “ value they will get now “ sigh
But it may be worth a call as we upgraded on the phone which allowed me to book park res

AM related vent-
Cari
Maybe it’s diff for DL but I upgraded extended our WDW tickets over the phone and paid the difference . It will be interesting because no matter the situation now we aren’t going so who knows what “ value they will get now “ sigh
But it may be worth a call as we upgraded on the phone which allowed me to book park res

Yes, I can't speak to DL but I just upgraded my WDW expired tickets for a (hopeful) vacay in January. Other than having to be on hold forever there was no issue changing them over. Just had to pay the difference during the phone call. :)

Yes, I can't speak to DL but I just upgraded my WDW expired tickets for a (hopeful) vacay in January. Other than having to be on hold forever there was no issue changing them over. Just had to pay the difference during the phone call. :)
Were they bought with AirMiles? That’s the issue. AirMiles won’t refund them and Disney won’t because I got them from AirMiles, not Disney directly.
Same with upgrading over the phone. They said I would have to do it in person at the parks. Which is unreasonable considering you need a reservation to go to the parks and can’t get one without a valid ticket.

???
What is
Accelerator Recovery?
176 Airmiles just posted and I have no idea where they came from.

Thanks
Hugs
Mel

• August 23, 2021
    ACCELERATOR - RECOVERY
    +176

Last edited:
Accelerator recovery? Just my thoughts, BMO had an email in late July that was trying to encourage us to get out and spend. Here is part of the email

View attachment 599241

View attachment 599242

Hmmmm looks interesting but
I didn't get this type email offer and I never use the card for anything other than Sobeys/Foodland airmile deals ,,none of those lately.
Hmmm I think it will go poof and disappear from my account as fast as it appeared.

Looks like Cari got one too! Hmmm interesting.

Thanks
Hon
Mel

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter