Airmiles Armchair Chatter

25 cent discount didn’t work for me either! 😭. I don’t really “do” AirMiles anymore, but I needed gas and this was a great deal! Do I need to call AirMiles? 🤦‍♀️
Do you have another Shell you could go to, maybe one that has more AirMiles signage at the pumps, maybe newer pumps/station? I don’t think the AirMiles customer service department is open on weekends.

Last edited:
So far this is where I am going with ideas for Dollarama
7 shops maybe
1. Pet Smart Gc...cocoa needs Royal Canine dry food.
2. I need to top up my Starbucks Gc
3. Tim's Gc
4 Mc Donald's Gc
5. Wondering if they have Canadian Tire Gc,,,Cocoa eats Iams wet food and it's reasonable price for a case there.
6. Purex Laundry Soap,, cheaper here than at Grocery store
7. Disney Gc (Although I will have to drive to a Mall that has a Dollarama in it).

Please feel free to share your Dollarama ideas,,the Pet Smart one was new to me until someone mentioned it here last week. (Maybe Cari , Pumpkin or Tinkerone) ?.

Hugs Mel
I’m planning on doing only Disney GCs unless they no longer have them. Then I’ll just stock up on other types, maybe Indigo/restaurant/clothing stores for stocking stuffers/bday/Xmas gifts.

The Shell discount didn't work for my son either. We did 2 different fill-ups on two different cards - no issues.

The Dollarama near me has variable load Disney GC. I usually pick up one for $30 and then pick up a smaller item I need for the house (rubber gloves, chocolate bar) that way the bill doesn't come to $30 exactly. I'll vary what I pick up each day also.

I think it will be Disney, Petsmart GC for me this go round.

Yes, the Dollarama near us has the variable load Disney cards as well.

Sigh....I wasn't going to bother with the Max Pass but after reading some posts and figuring out it is actually a money maker I caved. :rotfl2:
I half expected them to be gone since they are limited to 1800. Went through fine though. Now, to remember to go to Dollarama on the correct days.

Sigh....I wasn't going to bother with the Max Pass but after reading some posts and figuring out it is actually a money maker I caved. :rotfl2:
I half expected them to be gone since they are limited to 1800. Went through fine though. Now, to remember to go to Dollarama on the correct days.
I too caved and got one and funny thing is that it shows 1800 are available but it never says how many are actually left.
I will only be able to earn 2000 miles as I will be at the cottage on the Sunday. I will have to pop in on Saturday morning before we go up and right now we don't have a Dollarama up there but from the locals soon we will have one. I can see the construction happening but I don't know the opening date.

ps I guess my fitbit will log in lots of miles as I walk to Dollarama every day this week.

Last edited:
I've always been leary about buying gift cards at Dollarama. Aren't you afraid they may have been tampered with? I wish all gift cards were completely sealed in a tamper proof package. Most are not. Has anyone had any trouble using cards purchased from there?

Last edited:

I've always been leary about buying gift cards at Dollarama. Aren't you afraid they may have been tampered with? I wish all gift cards were completely sealed in a tamper proof package. Most are not. Has anyone had any trouble using cards purchased from there?
Nope and I've bought a LOT since dollarama joined. Just be careful about which ones you decide to go with - Amazon is great since they're completely sealed, disney Ones are in a package type thing that you can tell if it's been tampered with. I don't think it's any bigger of a risk from buying them elsewhere.

All the ones I have purchased at Dollarama for Tims & McDonalds I have not had problems with.

One Disney one the seal over the numbers peeled wrong but Disney was able to direct me how to use it.

I am also leary of gift cards and have pretty much designed my own Gift cards for family Christmas this year.

xmas5.jpg

I have had bad experience with cards sold at Shell/ Petro Canada and Shoppers Drug Mart in the past.
(scammed and emptied out cards).

There are ways to mitigate this happening. Many people transfer Gift cards immediately to an account they have,,Tims card transferred to Tim account etc.

Check the back of gift cards for tampering,

Look for gift cards that are fully sealed in a pouch,, etc

Disney GC can be transferred and saved here so you know right away that the card is good ,,just keep all your receipts.
https://www.disneygiftcard.com/

How can I avoid getting scammed for a gift card?

From Google
If you get or give a gift card, here are some steps to follow:

1. Buy gift cards from sources you know and trust. ...
  2. Inspect a gift card before you buy it. ...
  3. Keep the receipt with the gift card. ...
  4. Read the terms and conditions of the gift card. ...
  5. Use the card as soon as you can. ...
  6. Treat gift cards like cash.
  • Register your gift card if you have the option.
  • Save the receipt until it is used.
  • Treat it like cash: If the card is lost or stolen, report it.
  • Try to use it as soon as possible.
  • Be wary of websites that promise to check your card's balance: you can't be sure they are trustworthy unless it is that actual merchant's site.
  • Empty card? It never hurts to call and ask the store if there's a way to get the money back.

Best wishes
Mel

Last edited:
Nope and I've bought a LOT since dollarama joined. Just be careful about which ones you decide to go with - Amazon is great since they're completely sealed, disney Ones are in a package type thing that you can tell if it's been tampered with. I don't think it's any bigger of a risk from buying them elsewhere.
Good to know thanks!
All the ones I have purchased at Dollarama for Tims & McDonalds I have not had problems with.

One Disney one the seal over the numbers peeled wrong but Disney was able to direct me how to use it.

I am also leary of gift cards and have pretty much designed my own Gift cards for family Christmas this year.

View attachment 798136

I have had bad experience with cards sold at Shell/ Petro Canada and Shoppers Drug Mart in the past.
(scammed and emptied out cards).

There are ways to mitigate this happening. Many people transfer Gift cards immediately to an account they have,,Tims card transferred to Tim account etc.

Check the back of gift cards for tampering,

Look for gift cards that are fully sealed in a pouch,, etc

Disney GC can be transferred and saved here so you know right away that the card is good ,,just keep all your receipts.
https://www.disneygiftcard.com/

How can I avoid getting scammed for a gift card?

From Google
If you get or give a gift card, here are some steps to follow:

1. Buy gift cards from sources you know and trust. ...
  2. Inspect a gift card before you buy it. ...
  3. Keep the receipt with the gift card. ...
  4. Read the terms and conditions of the gift card. ...
  5. Use the card as soon as you can. ...
  6. Treat gift cards like cash.
  • Register your gift card if you have the option.
  • Save the receipt until it is used.
  • Treat it like cash: If the card is lost or stolen, report it.
  • Try to use it as soon as possible.
  • Be wary of websites that promise to check your card's balance: you can't be sure they are trustworthy unless it is that actual merchant's site.
  • Empty card? It never hurts to call and ask the store if there's a way to get the money back.

Best wishes
Mel
Thanks for the info Mel. Much appreciated.

First post of the day October 3-9 should be "HAVE YOU SHOPPED AT DOLLARAMA TODAY!" as there seem to be a number of us here who have jumped on the Dollarama MaxPass Bus.

I've just toddled up the stairs and am hanging on to the bar close to the driver, waving to y'all.
One question though. The Max pass is associated with the AM number (and the linked card) NOT the credit card I used to buy it, correct? For some reason, I couldn't use my usual AM card to buy the Dollarama Max Pass. But I figure it is the AM number itself, and as long as I use my BMO AM cc, I'm good.

Few last minute-ish comments about the Max Pass
  • The miles will post to your account at whatever you have your account set to on the day the bonus posts, not related to the transaction dates
  • The bonus miles are on your base miles only and as @bababear_50 pointed out, for Dollarama you need to use your linked (any eligible Canadian issued) Mastercard for those $30 transactions
  • Yes, I neglected to notice that the promo takes place during Thanksgiving weekend and that means only SIX days for everything but Shell since Monday is a stat
Final note -- the Duck walks away from the group, with her head hung in shame, because she talked herself out of buying one for Metro "We won't spend enough over the course of the week to make it worth the effort of going shopping today and again after Tuesday" Pffft - we just spent $240-ish at Metro and that means I left almost 500 miles on the table. I had forgotten that we didn't shop last week and that a long weekend is coming up.
No reason for shame if the promotion doesn't start until Oct. 3rd, correct? No miles left behind until shopping days Oct 3-9 if I'm reading everything correctly?

Right!

And also make sure it is $30 BEFORE tax!
I think its $30 even after taxes. At least that's how I read it.

Multiplier offer applies to the Bonus Miles earned at a rate of 10 Miles for every $30 spent at Dollarama on your linked eligible Mastercard only, in a single transaction from October 3 – October 9, 2023, and includes taxes, duty, and eco fees as applicable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter