Airport Experiences in SoCal

I've travelled all around the world. LAX sucks. Don't be so presumptous about people on this board. You sound like you work in PR for LAX. 😂

In fact, many large international airports suck. Air travel can be a MASSIVE hassle for all sorts of reasons. So if I say LAX sucks, it doesn't mean other airports don't suck. Many of them do. But, yeah, LAX definitely sucks.

LAX doesn't suck. It's a massive airport complex -- in the pre-COVID era, it was the world's largest airport for originating and terminating traffic (that is, excluding connections) by a healthy margin. Not sure where things stand today but if it's not at the top it will be near it. Things have gotten a lot better in the past decade and will only get better given the active projects. I picked family up on Wednesday night during the heart of the evening and dropped them off midday Sunday and it took roughly 45 and 50 minutes from the time I got off the freeway until I got back on.

Saying LAX sucks because it's a big airport is absurd. Most days, LGB has less than 75 scheduled commercial departures. LAX has more than half that just to LAS. What makes LGB so convenient is its inconvenience (lack of flights). Yes, LGB and SNA are super convenient.... except when things go wrong. Earlier this year I dropped my parents off at LGB for their flight to PHX and then went to work. Two hours later they called me -- their flight to PHX was delayed and they would miss their connecting flight and have to spend 24 hours at PHX at their own expense. I ended up leaving work, picking them up and taking them to... LAX.

There's absolutely no reason to have any anxiety about flying into LAX. I fly frequently and most of my flights are from LAX. And I'm 15 minutes from SNA and have to drive past it and LGB to get to LAX.

LAX doesn't suck. It's a massive airport complex -- in the pre-COVID era, it was the world's largest airport for originating and terminating traffic (that is, excluding connections) by a healthy margin. Not sure where things stand today but if it's not at the top it will be near it. Things have gotten a lot better in the past decade and will only get better given the active projects. I picked family up on Wednesday night during the heart of the evening and dropped them off midday Sunday and it took roughly 45 and 50 minutes from the time I got off the freeway until I got back on.

Saying LAX sucks because it's a big airport is absurd. Most days, LGB has less than 75 scheduled commercial departures. LAX has more than half that just to LAS. What makes LGB so convenient is its inconvenience (lack of flights). Yes, LGB and SNA are super convenient.... except when things go wrong. Earlier this year I dropped my parents off at LGB for their flight to PHX and then went to work. Two hours later they called me -- their flight to PHX was delayed and they would miss their connecting flight and have to spend 24 hours at PHX at their own expense. I ended up leaving work, picking them up and taking them to... LAX.

There's absolutely no reason to have any anxiety about flying into LAX. I fly frequently and most of my flights are from LAX. And I'm 15 minutes from SNA and have to drive past it and LGB to get to LAX.

I truly don't know why there are people in here who feel the need to defend the honor of LAX as if it once rescued your entire family from a burning building. That said, it's an opinion of many that LAX sucks. Opinion of a couple others in here that it doesn't. Opinions are subjective and not facts.

My mom once accidentally made a wrong turn into LAX and it took us over an hour just to make a loop to get out of there and we weren't there for pick up or drop off, we were just there. So yeah, to me, it sucks. To you, it doesn't. Cool.

Air travel (especially in the post-COVID era) is exhausting and often very frustrating no matter where you're doing it from. I have yet to go to an airport and be like, "Wow, I could just live here. What a beautiful experience that was." It's just that some are slightly less painful than others. But, what a weird thing we're all arguing about here.

That's funny. We recently returned from a trip to DFW had a terrible time navigating the airport. The rental cars are farther off site than just about any other airport we have visited. I guess we are all accustomed to what we use on a regular basis.
That's true, since it's my home airport I don't have to deal with rental cars there. But TSA lines are typically manageable and skylink helps connect everything.

I truly don't know why there are people in here who feel the need to defend the honor of LAX as if it once rescued your entire family from a burning building. That said, it's an opinion of many that LAX sucks. Opinion of a couple others in here that it doesn't. Opinions are subjective and not facts.

My mom once accidentally made a wrong turn into LAX and it took us over an hour just to make a loop to get out of there and we weren't there for pick up or drop off, we were just there. So yeah, to me, it sucks. To you, it doesn't. Cool.

Air travel (especially in the post-COVID era) is exhausting and often very frustrating no matter where you're doing it from. I have yet to go to an airport and be like, "Wow, I could just live here. What a beautiful experience that was." It's just that some are slightly less painful than others. But, what a weird thing we're all arguing about here.

I'm not defending anything. I'm merely clearing up misconceptions that have been presented in this thread that lead to posters saying they are STESSED about their upcoming trip after reading the comments here. Unless you're driving into or out of the complex (and most people here aren't), there's nothing to be stressed about. It's a big airport, you need to be patient. Same concept applies everywhere in life (big vs. small environment).

My family is flying into LAX in a couple of weeks, and now I have anxiety lol. We are also renting a car which sounds like will add to the headache as well. I'm just thankful that DFW is my home airport and is generally a breeze.

If you think DFW is a breeze, LAX will be a piece of cake. 😆

I purposely fly out of Dallas Love Field to avoid the insanity that is DFW.

I have flown in and out of LAX and rented cars several times. It honestly was not that bad.

Getting an Uber/Lyft from LAX is really annoying since you have to take the bus to this lot which takes a lot of time. Many airports allow much more direct pickup. Even airports like SFO allow you to just go upstairs and get an Uber/Lyft.
Wait…what!?

I travel a lot for work and LAX is hands down my worst airport experience ever due to the rental car shuttles. And you’re telling me there’s a shuttle to the Uber/lyft lot too!? lol

Any advice on how to get my family of 5 to Disneyland from LAX without ever getting in a shuttle?

Wait…what!?

I travel a lot for work and LAX is hands down my worst airport experience ever due to the rental car shuttles. And you’re telling me there’s a shuttle to the Uber/lyft lot too!? lol

Any advice on how to get my family of 5 to Disneyland from LAX without ever getting in a shuttle?

If you're having problems with the rental car shuttles, it's because of the rental companies you're utilizing. "Premium" rental companies like Avis have a shuttle literally every 5-15 minutes. "Value" rentals like Fox often run every 30-60 minutes. This really isn't indifferent from most other airports. Heck, MCO rarely has congestion surrounding the rental car facilities but the "value" rental shuttles don't show up more frequently despite the short drive. LAX is building a consolidated car rental facility serviced via automated people mover which will correct this anyway.

And there's, there's a bus to the ride share lot. But it's a 5-15 minute walk depending on the terminal you arrive into. Anyone complaining about ride shares not being allowed to pick you up at the terminal has no idea how bad traffic congestion was when they were. Again, pre-COVID LAX was the world's largest airport in terms of traffic originating and terminating (and still may be, I didn't look up current #s).

LAX is the 10th circle of hell.

As an airport and macroeconomically, it’s important, low cost, and efficient at moving millions of travelers and goods across borders. There’s nothing sweeter than sitting at the In N Out watching the jumbos land.

But they say root canals and anesthesia-free colonoscopies are also good for your overall health.

I'm not defending anything. I'm merely clearing up misconceptions that have been presented in this thread that lead to posters saying they are STESSED about their upcoming trip after reading the comments here. Unless you're driving into or out of the complex (and most people here aren't), there's nothing to be stressed about. It's a big airport, you need to be patient. Same concept applies everywhere in life (big vs. small environment).

Okay serious reply to my 10th circle of hell comment above.

I only ever do Uber Black, sometimes car rental shuttle (only do premium brand) at LAX, and really the worst part about all of it is the merge point right at T1 arrivals level.

It’s not the airport’s fault, per se, it’s just that everyone runs that red light coming from the north and the traffic islands are undersized for the number of people and vehicles there. What ends up happening is it takes upwards of 20-25 minutes to get from the traffic light to the first traffic island.

It will be much better when they centralize the rental car center and finish the rail extension.

My LA needs are usually served by BUR anyway. Even then, I have low cost/direct options into LGB with rental cars parked mere steps from baggage claim (it makes SNA look like a hike). I consider myself lucky to have that option.

Hands down SNA is my 1st choice...that being said, all my friends fly into LAX so they can "STAR" search! Yeesh! SNA has great amenities, easy to navigate and it is just the right distance to Disneyland.
Does NetJets load from the regular terminal?

If you're having problems with the rental car shuttles, it's because of the rental companies you're utilizing. "Premium" rental companies like Avis have a shuttle literally every 5-15 minutes. "Value" rentals like Fox often run every 30-60 minutes. This really isn't indifferent from most other airports. Heck, MCO rarely has congestion surrounding the rental car facilities but the "value" rental shuttles don't show up more frequently despite the short drive. LAX is building a consolidated car rental facility serviced via automated people mover which will correct this anyway.

And there's, there's a bus to the ride share lot. But it's a 5-15 minute walk depending on the terminal you arrive into. Anyone complaining about ride shares not being allowed to pick you up at the terminal has no idea how bad traffic congestion was when they were. Again, pre-COVID LAX was the world's largest airport in terms of traffic originating and terminating (and still may be, I didn't look up current #s).
Lol, yep it was definitely mostly an issue of the off brand company my employer made me use, I sat there an hour watching the hertz and Avis shuttles drive by every 5 minutes…😂.
Still, I hate lugging my luggage and kids on a shuttle at all and would walk a long distance or pay a slight premium to avoid it so it’s good to know there are options! I never would have thought to check this ahead of time.
I know LAX is not unique in this regard but it is still the only airport I’ve personally been to where I’ve had to go off site to get a rental car. Maybe because if I’m renting a car it’s usually because there’s no public transit in that city. LA is just a uniquely car centric city for its size. (It’s also beautiful, this east coaster means that respectfully, I swear! 😊).

Wait…what!?

We used a car service (Executive Car Service) in July and they were able to pick us up curbside at our arrival terminal. Full size SUV was $155+tax one way. Plenty big enough for our 4 adults plus luggage and would absolutely fit your family of 5.

because there’s no public transit in that city. LA is just a uniquely car centric city for its size.
Remember, Disneyland is not in Los Angeles County.

Los Angeles has Metro which goes to Long Beach, DTLA, Universal City, Pasadena, Santa Monica, and more. To get from Los Angeles County to Orange County via public transportation is time consuming.

1701271871131.png

That's funny. We recently returned from a trip to DFW had a terrible time navigating the airport. The rental cars are farther off site than just about any other airport we have visited. I guess we are all accustomed to what we use on a regular basis.
Yep. We go to DFW 1-2 times per year and I’m still confused 😭 Our home is DIA, which I know is tricky, but we “know” it, so we get around there easily. Out of town guests always have trouble when we pick them up tho.

I wish we had an airport. Closest one to me is 1 1/2 hours away. We used to have one, but commercial flights were axed several years ago. We only got the small planes, generally United Express, which were notoriously unreliable in the last few years they were here, so it wasn't a surprise when they pulled the service. We did have some really nice years when it was a good option, but now I suppose there's too much air traffic for commercial flights from very small airports to survive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter