Airport Proximity to DLR and Ground Transportation Information Superthread (READ FIRST POST FOR OVERVIEW!)

It all depends how much time you want to invest. I usually find I can do better than the price aggregators (like Kayak etc.) with coupon/discount codes or memberships. Try any airlines you are part of their frequent flyer program for, for example. Also the AAA specials/rates at Hertz can be pretty good if you are a member. I used to avoid Hertz but now I have to use them when I travel for work and have found their Gold Plus member program to be awesome (free to join) and have been pleasantly surprised that their rates for personal bookings have been amongst the cheapest for me several times recently (especially with AAA discount). MouseSavers usually has a good listing of various promo or discount codes to try for each company as well.

Autoslash basically does all that promo code testing for you but I've never actually used it personally as I didn't want to wait for them to email me back a quote. I do see they also have a listing of promo codes on their website that you can try on your own.

Whoever you end up booking with one of the most annoying things about rental cars is that prices fluctuate wildly. You can often save more $$ by continuing to check rates and rebooking. I think Autoslash will also monitor that for you or you can do it yourself. Also recommend signing up for the loyalty program with whatever company you rent with before you go. Vehicle pick up is SOOOO much faster for most companies when you are a member of their program (which is almost always free to join).
Re: Autoslash - you are trying too hard. Just book any reservation you want - make sure you can cancel - it doesn't even have to be a good deal. Put that reservation info into Autoslash and they e-mail you when they find a better deal. You do have to go back and cancel the reservation you have and re-book, then re-enter the new reservation in Autoslash, repeat. If it was a couple of bucks I wouldn't bother, but I USUALLY save AT LEAST $100 on a week-long rental.

Re: Autoslash - you are trying too hard. Just book any reservation you want - make sure you can cancel - it doesn't even have to be a good deal. Put that reservation info into Autoslash and they e-mail you when they find a better deal. You do have to go back and cancel the reservation you have and re-book, then re-enter the new reservation in Autoslash, repeat. If it was a couple of bucks I wouldn't bother, but I USUALLY save AT LEAST $100 on a week-long rental.

Yeah, I will probably try them in the future. I hadn't noticed the monitor your rate function before which seems more appealing to me, for whatever reason, than having them do the initial booking. I've also done the rate hunting and monitoring for myself enough that I have a bit of a system so its pretty easy. Autoslash or not, I also routinely end up with a booking that's dramatically cheaper than what I started with- I think it's partly just that prices fluctuate that much. But I agree it would be nice to have that monitored for me :)

FWIW - Autoslash used to be even better. You could book the reservation with them, then they would send you an e-mail if they found a better deal and all you would have to do is respond to the e-mail and they would re-book and send you the new confirmation. The G-D car rental places are mostly all under one behemoth company though so there is a ton of collusion but almost no real competition. They threatened to sue Autoslash so they had to change their policy and are really limited with who they can book with directly.

Sounds weird, but I always have the best luck booking a car through Southwest. You don't have to have a flight booked with them and you can just keep price checking and rebooking for no charge. Just got a car through them at LAX from Thrifty for $9 per day (plus taxes). Pick up and drop off was super easy.

Went back some pages but had a hard time finding this. I’m pretty sure the answer to my question is “yes” but my anxiety (haha!) needs extra confirmation.

Do the shuttles (like Karmel) pick up curbside at LAX still?

Toying back and forth between LAX or SNA for our arrival and it’ll save me $100 to do LAX. It’s been awhile since we’ve had an arrival flight there so just want to double check.

I love SNA but I timed it and we’d literally arrive at the same time at the hotel (varying flight times) so I’m trying to put my big girl pants on and use LAX. 😂

We were picked up from LAX last week by Midwilshuttle and they picked us up curb side. We were a group of 6 so it was a private van as opposed to a “shuttle”. Maybe there is something about a shared ride that doesn’t allow them to pick up curb side?

The only vehicles that don’t pickup curbside are taxis, Lyfts (shared and regular lyfts), Uber (pool and UberX) and the handful of other small rideshare app companies. To get picked up from one of these services, you take an LAXit shuttle bus to the LAXit lot and follow employee directions for which lane you are suppose to wait in. Unless it’s super late at night or you are using a shared/pool product Uber and Lyft will not pre assign your driver. Instead it will give you a pin code to give to the driver when you get to the front of the line.

Has anybody ubered from LAX to Disney lately? What kind of costs did you have? It would be 4 of us... just trying to decide on best options to get from the airport, and it sounds like a lot has been changing with the shuttle companies.

You might start by using the ride calculator on the lyft.com. I have used Lyft many times in sourthern California and have always found their estimate accurate.

I have used Lansky from SNA for my last 2 trips and am using them again in March. They meet you at baggage claim, help with luggage to the car. They are always on time and courteous. And they will do a grocery stop if you want though I haven't used that.

Has anyone used Uber or Lyft from John Wayne to Disneyland/Tropicana on Harbor lately? Trying to estimate the cost for 2 people.
I agree with the PP - check the rates around your arrival time, so traffic is factored into your price estimate.

Also note that if you get surge pricing when you arrive, waiting about 5-10 min can alter the price dramatically as it comes off of surge. I paid $17 less by waiting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter