Wonder IGT or $1k more for OGT

poohs4me

DIS Veteran
Hi all

Thank you in advance for an opinions. I have never stayed in an oceanview room and only once in an inside stateroom once. Would those of you who are more familiar with these categories please provide some opinions? It’s on the Wonder. I am just concerned that if I get a two porthole stateroom that I would be disappointed for $1k more. Any thoughts?

Is the inside room one that you picked and you are happy with location? I really like the sideways facing forward rooms on deck 6 if you can get one of those. I've booked a lot of OGT rates and never gotten the two portholes, but I guess it could happen. You could do a lot to enhance your cruise with 1k that might be better than a window in your room.

I would be sad to pay more for those tiny portholes on Deck 1. I stayed in one during a PC cruise - but it was what they had on sale after PIF date. They are effectively interiors. Sure, a little light.

I think the main difference between IGT and OGT in this case is is that with OGT you are guaranteed the split bathroom. If that’s a concern for you, paying more for OGT might make sense, even with the chance of the two little portholes,

We stayed in an inside on deck 1 on our last cruise and actually loved the location. So, being down there is not a disadvantage of the two porthole rooms.

There is also the thread on the top of the board where people report what rooms they got. If you go to the thread and at the top right go to the search function, you can do a search for just in that thread for Wonder OGT, you might see how often those rooms come up.

It’s hard to answer without knowing how many people in your room and see you talking standard inside stateroom or deluxe inside?

Same with ocean view?

Usually one has split bathroom and one does not. For our family of 4- the split bathroom is desired. Also how long is the sailing you are considering?

If 2 nights in my mind not worth it. 7 nights or longer hmmm might be worth it depending on what the differences are that I value.

Either way you will enjoy the cruise so happy sailing!

With any GT rate you are rolling the dice to save money, so at that point you may as well save the most money because who knows if your IGT room would have been better than your OGT one? In addition to the small porthole issue, you could get a really noisy room near the engines.

Echoing Clarkson U's questions, I think a bit more information would help because spending $1k more for a 3 night cruise for 2 people would be different than if that's for a 7 night cruise for a family.

In your scenario, my DH and I would definitely save the $1k and stick with the inside room. I've done all the basic categories, and a window would not be worth that much to me. If you are just traveling as a couple, the inside rooms are perfectly fine, as we just find that we are only in there to sleep. That "extra" $1k that you would save could go really far for onboard purchases and excursions. If it was only like $200 more that's when I would personally consider.

I was on Deck 1 with two little portholes on a TransAtlantic a few years back. I was initially disappointed but grew to love it! It was very quiet and an easy exit for the ports. Also elevators were empty when I got on. The portholes are just above the waterline and I remember seeing the water whoosh by - you got the impression of speed. Also birds! Flying just above the water, following the ship! I have never had an inside cabin. Have friends who love them. View wise, you just see water. But there IS natural light, if that’s important. This was on the Magic.

Here’s my cabin, and a blurry photo of the ocean waves, at night, illuminated by the running lights of the ship.

Attachments

• IMG_5776.jpeg
    IMG_5776.jpeg
    76.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6599.jpeg
    IMG_6599.jpeg
    15.3 KB · Views: 7
The problem in seeking this type of advice from these forums is that we all spend our money differently. Obviously some people have more discretionary income than others... some people foolishly spend their money... others devote their entire discretionary budget to Disney. The real question is, what does $1K mean to you?

We love to cruise and seek value more than anything else. The best values are nearly always on interior staterooms since obviously those are the least desired. Sometimes we get an ocean or balcony but if I can get a well positioned interior room I don't see the point.

That said, I'm surprised DCL sells the small portholes as ocean. Most other cruiselines sell them as interior, although in recent years they've been offering them for a nominal upgrade fee ($20-$100 total depending on the itinerary and time).

I was on Deck 1 with two little portholes on a TransAtlantic a few years back. I was initially disappointed but grew to love it! It was very quiet and an easy exit for the ports. Also elevators were empty when I got on. The portholes are just above the waterline and I remember seeing the water whoosh by - you got the impression of speed. Also birds! Flying just above the water, following the ship! I have never had an inside cabin. Have friends who love them. View wise, you just see water. But there IS natural light, if that’s important. This was on the Magic.
The Deck 1 row of cabins was a nice surprise. Most of our 14-person dinner table had booked discounted rates and gotten these assigned. (Dinner table was on- purpose; it was back when we had cruise threads here in the forum. We built rapport before we got onboard. Unlike FB, you could easily start reading from the first post, no matter when you joined, and get caught up.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter