Airport Proximity to DLR and Ground Transportation Information Superthread (READ FIRST POST FOR OVERVIEW!)

Last time we had a voucher from GCH for the taxi back to LGB. It had $50 to LGB via freeway and $40 via city streets. When we asked the driver to take city streets he claimed it would take more than 2 hours!!! (on a sunday afternoon)!! I know that is just a way to get more $$ but do you know on average what the timing is like?

I posted a marked map of the city street route, and the driver was clearly lying to you. From the GCH, the directions are head North up Disneyland Drive a few blocks and make a left on Ball Road. drive about 13 miles, and you enter the airport. That simple, really, Ball Road does change names when entering Los Angeles County to Wardlow, but that is just signs, and when you get to the end of the road (at Lakewood) just go straight through the light, the airport main road is right there. Yes, there are some traffic lights on the route,as you are driving basically through the "suburbs" and will see lots of strip malls and the like. But I would say the drive is about 30 minutes.

I would never opt for the Freeway option, as it is longer and has the higher chance of heavy traffic.

I posted a marked map of the city street route, and the driver was clearly lying to you. From the GCH, the directions are head North up Disneyland Drive a few blocks and make a left on Ball Road. drive about 13 miles, and you enter the airport. That simple, really, Ball Road does change names when entering Los Angeles County to Wardlow, but that is just signs, and when you get to the end of the road (at Lakewood) just go straight through the light, the airport main road is right there. Yes, there are some traffic lights on the route,as you are driving basically through the "suburbs" and will see lots of strip malls and the like. But I would say the drive is about 30 minutes.

I would never opt for the Freeway option, as it is longer and has the higher chance of heavy traffic.

Thanks! I figured as much. Several years ago my sister had a cab driver take us from LGB by the city streets (trying to surprise me that we were going to DL but making it look like we were going somewhere else)!!! They said we were going to downtown Long Beach and ended up on Katella. So that must go through as well.
Anyhow, thanks for the directions and now I'm armed with knowledge of the easy way!!

I always get a bit frustrated about LGB and what I see/read. As a native Southern California, and being involved in Disneyland and Theme Parks for decades, you see comments like John Wayne (aka Orange County/Santa Ana/SNA) is nice and small and so convenient, so close to Disneyland, etc.

Long Beach is the true small airport in the area, John Wayne is a medium sized airport that offers International Service, and then you have the very large LAX.

And as for distance, we can argue about which one is closer depending on how you measure, but I prefer to say the are equal, both 14 miles away, but the LGB drive is much easier, as it is basically leave the airport headed east to Disneyland (Ball/Wardlow). While John Wayne covers 3 freeways, heavy traffic, carpool lane options that can be confusing, etc.

I love the fact that both Long Beach and John Wayne have easy parking, and the fact the Rental Car Companies (well, at least the majority of them) have offices and pick up lots right next to the terminal.

And Long Beach just had a major remodel/improvement project. The new TSA security check in is awesome, a specific building built for TSA, and not add-on areas found in most airports. It makes the system work much smoother, as the set up was tailor made for them.

Some folks don't like the fact Long Beach doesn't have jet ways, and you board using outdoor stairs/ramps, but I actually like the old school method, and it isn't like there is much of a weather issue here.

So they are both great choices, and for many Long Beach isn't an option due to the limited flights and destinations, but for those lucky enough to have good connections from their home airport to Long Beach, it is my preferred airport in Southern California.

My list of all commercial airports in Southern California would be, with the most preferred at the top...

1. Carlsbad
2. Palm Springs
3. Long Beach.
4. Ontario
5. Bob Hope (Burbank)
6. Santa Barbara
6. John Wayne (Santa Ana)
7. San Diego Lindbergh Field
8. Tijuana (using the special crossover bridge from the USA in Otay Mesa with its special customs area)
9. LAX

That said, that is just the airport and has no bearing of where you are coming/going from.

But I would use the AMTRAK Pacific Surfliner to get from San Diego to the Southland (The Greater Los Angeles area including Anaheim), also for the trip to Santa Barbara.

To get to Palm Springs, while there are flights from LAX to PSP, they are few and expensive, so I would opt to drive.

Same issue with Carlsbad (Northern San Diego County), very few flights and expensive if taking just the one leg. so drive or the train to Oceanside and then a taxi.

But for those planning a large trip, sometimes picking Palm Springs, Santa Barbara or Carlsbad doesn't add much in price as compared to the big 5 airports in the Southland.

How about tolls between LAX and the DL resort area ........... I have never seen that talked about before, so I am assuming not ?
Just wondering if I need to add in something with the rental car like Plate Pass, if there are any , or unmanned tolls ?

Thanks !

Anyone take Uber from SNA to GCH? We're considering doing this on our next trip, 2 adults, 2 kids, bringing our own car seats and was wondering about how much it is and also where does Uber pick up?
Thanks!

How about tolls between LAX and the DL resort area ........... I have never seen that talked about before, so I am assuming not ?
Just wondering if I need to add in something with the rental car like Plate Pass, if there are any , or unmanned tolls ?

Thanks !

There are 4 Toll Freeways and 3 Express Lanes in the Southland (LA/Orange County), but nothing between the main airports and Disneyland. (Maybe if you use BUR or ONT).

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-...s:Ca.Toll.Roads.Bridges.And.Carpool.Info.html

That will change in the future, as the 405 will be getting them as part of new construction.

Even though there are toll roads, the nice thing is that you don't have to take them, and they are clearly marked before entering those lanes. For instance, going down to San Diego you take the 405 to the 5, but you can also take the 405 to the 73 (toll road) to the 5, and on really busy days that may save time, but you need to make the decision to use it. On the 91 east there is a toll road, and you can opt to take the toll (in the middle lanes of the freeway), or stay on the regular freeway and not pay to take the toll.

I'll be working on edits to the first post in this thread over the next few weeks. Edits will be made when my work and vacation schedule allow, so please be patient. I'll be combing through all the posts to gather any information people have already posted, but if there's a specific area you want updated or added, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

The thread is mostly updated. I do need to add in some information about trains, rental cars, and Uber/Lyft type pricing. I also need to find out whether LGB allows Uber and Lyft. The LGB website does not mention them and an old LA Times article indicates they are not allowed to do pick ups at LGB.

Last edited:
The thread is mostly updated. I do need to add in some information about Uber/Lyft type pricing. I also need to find out whether LGB allows Uber and Lyft. The LGB website does not mention them and an old LA Times article indicates they are not allowed to do pick ups at LGB.

Long Beach was close to a nine month trial period, but it fell through, so they are not allowed to pick up (But they can drop off).

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-travel-briefcase-long-beach-20161210-story.html

I am more than a little surprised that Karmel Shuttle are not listed on the first page of this thread. They have much cleaner vehicles - certainly compared to SuperShuttle. They also prioritize holidaymakers / tourists over locals, so all of the max 3 stops they make are at hotels.

Added

Below is a copy (in part) of my Uber receipt from SNA airport to Homewood Suites Anaheim Convention Center.

I had a promotion for a first time credit of $30 for Uber, so I chose the more expensive Uber XL. Without the credit, it would have been $34. Using the regular UBer, it would have been less. Pick up was SOOOO easy - just exit after you pick up your luggage and stand by a numbered pole before you summons the Uber, and they pull right up. No need to cross the street at all.

Tuesday, Nov. 29th, 2016

01:44pm | JWA Roadway, Santa Ana, CA
red-left.png
red-middle.png
red-right.png
02:12pm | 2010 S Harbor Blvd, Anaheim, CA
no_collapse.png

13.70 miles
00:28:29 Trip time
uberXL

Your Fare

no_collapse.png

Base Fare 1.00
Distance 21.23
Time 8.54
no_collapse.png

Subtotal $30.77
Booking Fee (?) 1.95
Airport Surcharge (?) 2.25
Promotion -30.00

Two quick notes, you have AMTRAK spelled wrong once (and correct the other time) The header needs to be fixed.

There are two diferent locations for Alamo near Disneyland, the DtD location, which is located outside the secure area on the west side of DtD, and the shared office with National on Katella.

I was really wanting to try Jet Blue into Long Beach because everyone keeps writing about the ease of the Long Beach airport. The prices aren't bad, but Southwest's into Orange County tend to be the same. Mostly the time options weren't very good from Sacramento. :rolleyes:

Thank you for maintaining this information, as we are planning our first trip to DLR (and are really missing the ease of ME at WDW) - we will be flying into ONT, and notice you have no information on Uber/Lyft for that airport in your update. In trying to find information on these services, it is hard to determine the current status, as the information seems mixed. Can one get Uber/Lyft from ONT without having to go through a lot of hoops (as in are they permitted by the airport?), and are they permitted for dropping off at the airport for departing passengers. Thanks in advance for your information.

Thank you for maintaining this information, as we are planning our first trip to DLR (and are really missing the ease of ME at WDW) - we will be flying into ONT, and notice you have no information on Uber/Lyft for that airport in your update. In trying to find information on these services, it is hard to determine the current status, as the information seems mixed. Can one get Uber/Lyft from ONT without having to go through a lot of hoops (as in are they permitted by the airport?), and are they permitted for dropping off at the airport for departing passengers. Thanks in advance for your information.

I believe Ontario only allows "permitted" drivers to do pick up. If you try to input Ontario airport into the Uber app for a pickup, you get a message saying, "Unfortunately, Uber is currently unavailable in your area." Drop offs back to the airport by Uber shouldn't be an issue.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter