Airport Security w/ Walking Boot

emily94

Mouseketeer
I broke my foot just a few days ago and am in a walking boot for the foreseeable future :( I am taking a flight home on Friday morning (I'm good to fly) and was wondering how security works with a walking boot? I am flying out of my small, college town airport and there is no full body scanners there. The boot has metal so will I just take off the boot and limp thru the metal detector? Not sure if it will help, but I do I have TSA Pre-Check.

Thanks in advance! :)

Not sure if this is the right board so feel free to move if necessary!

No, don't take off the boot. You might hurt yourself. I have an implant that sets of the metal detector every time. So iI just warn the agent ahead of time. Then they do a full body scan or they do a hand wand/pat down. It only takes a couple of minutes.

I went through airport security with a walking boot a couple weeks ago. Mine doesn't have any metal in it but I have metal in my ankle after surgery. I also need help of crutches which are metal as well. Do not take the boot off - you have it for a reason. I had a doctors note with me mainly because of the metal. I received a pat down and they used the hand wand after going through the detector but I was never asked to take off the boot or go without crutches. If they ask you, politely decline and say you are ok with a pat down and the hand wand.

If they insist you take it off, my doctor has advised me to tell th that I can only take it off when I sit down and I must remain seated when it's off. They are welcome to put the boot through scanner by itself but I must remain seated at any time when the boot is off. Luckily I didn't need to go this route but if push comes to shove, that's something you could offer. But decline first.

I went through airport security with a walking boot a couple weeks ago. Mine doesn't have any metal in it but I have metal in my ankle after surgery. I also need help of crutches which are metal as well. Do not take the boot off - you have it for a reason. I had a doctors note with me mainly because of the metal. I received a pat down and they used the hand wand after going through the detector but I was never asked to take off the boot or go without crutches. If they ask you, politely decline and say you are ok with a pat down and the hand wand.

If they insist you take it off, my doctor has advised me to tell th that I can only take it off when I sit down and I must remain seated when it's off. They are welcome to put the boot through scanner by itself but I must remain seated at any time when the boot is off. Luckily I didn't need to go this route but if push comes to shove, that's something you could offer. But decline first.

Thanks! Hope it does not come to that, but good advice :)

I had to fly with a walking boot this past June. Fortunately, it is visible so they know it is coming :-)

I wore the boot through the metal detector. It and my MedicAlert bracelet triggered the alarm. I stood for a pat-down. I was asked if I was able to take the boot off and I explained I could, but only if I was sitting down. They led me to a chair and I took the boot off (they watched as I did and it was clear there was nothing on underneath the boot except the smelly tube sock!). I remained seated while they sent the boot through the xray machine your carryons go through. Then I got the boot back, put it on, and was good to go to where they were inspecting my medical liquids :-)

A few things to think about:
- consider if you will need or could use wheelchair assistance. Airports can be huge and walking those long distances with a boot is a pain in the butt (and knees, and...). At one airport I regretted not having arranged for it -- the walk was quite tiring and uncomfotable.

- if your walking boot has air bladders -- you will need to deflate them as or before the plane gains altitude. As with other things, they expand as the plane goes up. This can burst them if it is enough pressure. But, more importantly, IT HURTS. I forgot this on the first flight but was rudely reminded as they expanded and the boot suddenly became painful; then there was my mad scramble while still seatbelted in to hit the pressure release valves. For the other flights, once I was seated and seatbelted and not going anywhere I let the air out pr-emptively. Even then, the residual air expanded and had to be let out at altitude. Then, once we were on the ground I was able to reinflate.

- I pre-boarded each flight and waited to be the last or nearly last off. Much easier navigating the plane and jetway with no or few other humans instead of the streaming masses.

- think carefully about what shoe you will be wearing and how comfy it is. I had no choice as only one pair of shoes was tall enough for the boot, but those shoes were not as comfy as my normal shoes and that took some adjusting.

- planes don't give you much room between you and the seat in front of you. this lack of space is magnified when you are wearing the boot (plus, finding a comfy position for it is challenging -- tho it does make a good foot rest for your other foot :-) ). My flights did not offer it, but if they did I would definitely pay to upgrade at checkin to a "plus" (more legroom) type seat if available.

SW

I had to fly with a walking boot this past June. Fortunately, it is visible so they know it is coming :-)

I wore the boot through the metal detector. It and my MedicAlert bracelet triggered the alarm. I stood for a pat-down. I was asked if I was able to take the boot off and I explained I could, but only if I was sitting down. They led me to a chair and I took the boot off (they watched as I did and it was clear there was nothing on underneath the boot except the smelly tube sock!). I remained seated while they sent the boot through the xray machine your carryons go through. Then I got the boot back, put it on, and was good to go to where they were inspecting my medical liquids :-)

A few things to think about:
- consider if you will need or could use wheelchair assistance. Airports can be huge and walking those long distances with a boot is a pain in the butt (and knees, and...). At one airport I regretted not having arranged for it -- the walk was quite tiring and uncomfotable.

- if your walking boot has air bladders -- you will need to deflate them as or before the plane gains altitude. As with other things, they expand as the plane goes up. This can burst them if it is enough pressure. But, more importantly, IT HURTS. I forgot this on the first flight but was rudely reminded as they expanded and the boot suddenly became painful; then there was my mad scramble while still seatbelted in to hit the pressure release valves. For the other flights, once I was seated and seatbelted and not going anywhere I let the air out pr-emptively. Even then, the residual air expanded and had to be let out at altitude. Then, once we were on the ground I was able to reinflate.

- I pre-boarded each flight and waited to be the last or nearly last off. Much easier navigating the plane and jetway with no or few other humans instead of the streaming masses.

- think carefully about what shoe you will be wearing and how comfy it is. I had no choice as only one pair of shoes was tall enough for the boot, but those shoes were not as comfy as my normal shoes and that took some adjusting.

- planes don't give you much room between you and the seat in front of you. this lack of space is magnified when you are wearing the boot (plus, finding a comfy position for it is challenging -- tho it does make a good foot rest for your other foot :-) ). My flights did not offer it, but if they did I would definitely pay to upgrade at checkin to a "plus" (more legroom) type seat if available.

SW

Thank you so much Starwind, this is very helpful! I did not even think about the air inflation but it makes a lot of sense. My college town airport is tiny with only 5 gates but my hometown airport is huge! And I plan on utilizing the wheel chair there. Is that service something I coordinate thru the airline?

Thanks again!

Thank you so much Starwind, this is very helpful! I did not even think about the air inflation but it makes a lot of sense. My college town airport is tiny with only 5 gates but my hometown airport is huge! And I plan on utilizing the wheel chair there. Is that service something I coordinate thru the airline?

Thanks again!

Glad to be of assistance. yeah, I did not think of the air inflation thing either, until I was suddenly in a bunch of pain :-) hopefully you will avoid a similar fate.

Yes, in the US and Canada the airlines are responsible for co-ordinating the wheelchair service (they may or may not actually have their employees delivering the service; but the airline is on the hook for making it available **and ensuring it happens**).

As an example, here is American Airlines' page about special assistance: http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInformation/specialAssistance/main.jsp?anchorEvent=false&from=Nav

Most or all airlines will have info on their website on who to call to arrange for special assistance, though you may have to look a bit to find it. Reading a couple different carrier's websites can be useful for figuring out the range of services available, since some websites are shall we say more forthcoming with their info than others...

Basically, you will contact your airline (sometimes through normal reservations #, sometimes through a special #) and explain your needs and they will make it happen (or are supposed to).

Enjoy your trip !

SW

Thanks for the help everyone! I am back from a lovely trip. I had a pretty painless traveling days! The woman at the SWA counter at my small, college town airport was a little rude about WHY I needed the pre-board but after explaining I needed more time to get down the jet way, I was good.

I also learned on my way back that people who can walk down the jet way with no assistance (i.e. walking boots, canes, pregnant, cognitive disabilities, etc.) board before the wheelchair passengers! Hopefully that is helpful for people flying SWA in the future :)

Also, even though I have TSA Pre Check, I couldn't go thru the metal detector because my boot had metal. I went thru the full body scanner (a new addition!) and they had to swab my boot, which I totally understood. They had the option of a full body pat down instead but that would not be my cup of tea lol :rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter