• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

AirTran/Allegient/ME for first timers review

diswedwish

DIS Veteran
My mom and I make an annual trip to WDW every year in January. We originally booked our flights with Allegient, then later in the summer our return time was changed. We'd booked 1/1-1/15, and our new option was to return either 1/14 or 1/17. Not what we wanted. Since we'd paid the insurance fee for Allegient, we cancelled and rebooked with AirTran.

Onward to 1/1. We were leaving from Allentown, PA, so I was driving in from NJ a bit earlier than my mom in PA, and get a call from my mom 4 hours before the flight was to leave. She received an email from AirTran that they'd cancelled the flight. Next AirTran flight was for 1/3... We'd never had that happen before, and since it wasn't due to weather (they said they didn't have the staff - we figured that was because it was New Year's, maybe they were drunk?), and we'd done the online check-in, we hadn't worried about it. So we both called around and both managed to book a flight (or doublebook) on Allegient leaving 1/1 (the original flight we had scheduled - irony at its best) that left about an hour before our AirTran flight was supposed to leave. We were lucky enough that when we checked in, Allegient refunded my $, and they sat us together (which we didn't pay for). And our AirTran $ was refunded as well.

I called ME to make sure they knew our new flight, etc, and it wasn't a problem. We'd always gone to Sanford before, and this was the first time we were able to use ME. It was great! Plus we were just so happy to actually get to FL that day.

Return was fine also. We stuck with AirTran with no problems. Checking in for the flight at FQ was great!

So it was definitely a learning experience for us. ME is good; and it is possible to find another flight if your first is cancelled.

We have been looking at Alligent also out of Allentown. Airtran flies out of there also - will need to keep an eye on that one. Alligent is moving over to Sanford as of I think the end of the month. That would mean renting a car also instead of ME. I am also waiting for Southwest to open up on 2/8 for our dates.

Be aware that as of the beginning of February, Allegiant is moving all flights back to Sanford.

My mom and I make an annual trip to WDW every year in January. We originally booked our flights with Allegient, then later in the summer our return time was changed. We'd booked 1/1-1/15, and our new option was to return either 1/14 or 1/17. Not what we wanted. Since we'd paid the insurance fee for Allegient, we cancelled and rebooked with AirTran.

Onward to 1/1. We were leaving from Allentown, PA, so I was driving in from NJ a bit earlier than my mom in PA, and get a call from my mom 4 hours before the flight was to leave. She received an email from AirTran that they'd cancelled the flight. Next AirTran flight was for 1/3... We'd never had that happen before, and since it wasn't due to weather (they said they didn't have the staff - we figured that was because it was New Year's, maybe they were drunk?), and we'd done the online check-in, we hadn't worried about it. So we both called around and both managed to book a flight (or doublebook) on Allegient leaving 1/1 (the original flight we had scheduled - irony at its best) that left about an hour before our AirTran flight was supposed to leave. We were lucky enough that when we checked in, Allegient refunded my $, and they sat us together (which we didn't pay for). And our AirTran $ was refunded as well.

I called ME to make sure they knew our new flight, etc, and it wasn't a problem. We'd always gone to Sanford before, and this was the first time we were able to use ME. It was great! Plus we were just so happy to actually get to FL that day.

Return was fine also. We stuck with AirTran with no problems. Checking in for the flight at FQ was great!

So it was definitely a learning experience for us. ME is good; and it is possible to find another flight if your first is cancelled.
They cancelled your flight 4 hours before you were to leave? :scared1:

Now I am getting a little worried about choosing to fly with AirTran in May. I would be going through the roof with the last minute booking fees and high charges. Did they help you pay for the extra price on the new tickets?

Yes, 4 hours before. It was New Year's Day, so I'm assuming the flight crew had too much to drink the night before or were sick or something? I doubt something like that happens very often.

My mom and I both called Air Tran separately and were told similar things. I think they may have helped with another flight - however if we wanted to leave from Allentown the next flight would not have been for another 2-3 days. From Philadelphia the next flight out on AirTran was at 5am Sunday. Also not ideal. Allegiant's counter was next to AirTran and from what we overheard they were getting people to Philadelphia by bus and then out on whatever flight/airline they could. We just got our $ back and rebooked on Allegiant. It was a bit more, but at that point we didn't care. Mickey was calling us. lol

I'm glad you were able to turn this into a positive experience instead of a negative one. So many others would have been bashing anyone & anything in their path. It's unfortunate that it happened, but you were able to put Plan B into action. I ALWAYS travel with a Plan B. DH flies almost weekly for work & things like this happen ALL THE TIME. ALL. THE. TIME! Even on major carriers like USAir and Delta, flights get changed, moved & cancelled right up until departure. It sounds like both Airtran & Allegiant went above & beyond in helping get you to your destination, that is commendable (especially since they're not codeshare partners). So many times DH has called me to get on the internet or the phone to come up with an alternative because the airline only offers their next available flight, which is often on a different day. Technically the airline's Contract of Carriage just promises to get you from point A to point B - they don't have to do it at the time posted or even on the day you booked, and they are not at fault. And I've seen many instances where it was left at that, with no offers to help find a solution. So kudos to everyone here!

PS - Allentown is my home airport, I've flown both AT and AL to & from there many times. Since AL now only flies into Sanford, I won't be using them any longer, so hopefully AT stays put - there are no other non-stop flights to MCO from ABE!

I'm hoping for the best. I just don't deal well with last minute changes. I am actually more concerned with the luggage issue than the flight times. I may just have to get really creative with my packing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter