AK great tonight!

cheshiregoofy22

DIS Veteran
Although we weren’t part of the DAH event tonight, we headed back into AK after an early dinner at Sanaa. We arrived in a bit of a downpour around 7:45 p.m. and headed to the Kilimanjaro Safari with fastpasses...just starting to get dark...best safari we’ve ever had! Hippo walking around then jumped in the pool, huge tower of giraffes (probably waiting to go to their evening home), all sorts of animals right close to the vehicle! Cheetah up and walking about! Two lionesses! One standing (!) at the very top of the rock formation, the other just below her...the male right around the corner. Driver stopped so we could listen and ALL THREE STARTED ROARING! In all the safaris we’ve taken over all our Disney trips, never have we heard them roar nor have we seen a lioness standing atop the highest rock! It was AMAZING...and Loud!! So, imho never fear a rainy, late safari! What a treat!

I went once at around that time, and it was the worst Safari ever, and I have done the safari in almost every month of the year, many times. We saw almost zero animals, maybe a few deer types, and I vowed never again for a late safari! I will try though if it is raining! We have done daytime summer rides in the rain and it was also great but no roaring! I did get a great photo of the male lion yawning and once he licked his face with his tongue, got that photo too.

I went once at around that time, and it was the worst Safari ever, and I have done the safari in almost every month of the year, many times. We saw almost zero animals, maybe a few deer types, and I vowed never again for a late safari! I will try though if it is raining! We have done daytime summer rides in the rain and it was also great but no roaring! I did get a great photo of the male lion yawning and once he licked his face with his tongue, got that photo too.

This was our experience too. I gave up my ROL FP so we could do evening safari which we had never done. There was nothing to see. Then we had to run like the wind to standby ROL not great seats but that was one and done for us as well.

We usually do safari 2-3 times per trip. We love it but going to keep it to daylight. LOL.

We were on a late safari one year and the only animal we saw was a rabbit. We joked around with our guide through the whole thing. Once our excited pointing made the driver brake hard, and then we were chastised because it was just a bunny - LOL. However, at the very end, a herd of antelope went NUTS and were fighting, leaping, racing around the vehicle. The driver had to stop suddenly several times because they were running in front of us. It was our most memorable and funnest ride, even with only two species to see.

In all the safaris we’ve taken over all our Disney trips, never have we heard them roar nor have we seen a lioness standing atop the highest rock! It was AMAZING...and Loud!! So, imho never fear a rainy, late safari! What a treat!

Glad you had a great experience. We go on the safari at all times of day and many different times of year. We have mostly had good experiences. The evening ones (before dark) for us have always been good for the lions, cheetahs, and hyenas. They tend to be more active in the evening. We love the safari and always go at park open and then later in the day with a fast pass. I could ride it all day if my daughter would let me.

We were very fortunate when went in May. Did the safari first thing and had a giraffe stand in middle of road so our truck had to stop. While waiting for the giraffe to move, her baby came over and started to nurse. We also go to experience the rhinos up close as they walked right next to our truck and in front. We did the safari again at dusk and got to see giraffes running full force. It was amazing. We also got to see lions out and about. We were very lucky

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter