AK is No Half Day Park

Greenfield1984

DIS Veteran
We are a family of 7. From toddlers, to teens, to adults. As such everything at AK will appeal to to somone.

Currently planning our daily tour. With shows, attractions, and animals to see, there does not appear to be enough time for everything.

We got 10 hours to do everything. And we want to do everything.
Including all the rides, the 3 shows, rafiki planet watch, all the animal trails (including discovery island), the boneyard and maybe a character greet.

Not possible right?

My family allocates an entire day to AK. We get there early (not rope drop) we utilize Genie+ and that helps our plans. We usually eat a QS for lunch and end the night with a table service in the park. I beleive it is doable in a day. Have fun!

The people who think that are the ones that are only interested in the rides. There is so much more to AK than the rides. I love walking the trails and there is a fun interactive experience on your Play Disney app for those trails. Obviously everyone is different, but I enjoy the more low key aspect of AK and being able to just wander and look at the animals and the design. It is a nice mental break and slowdown from the rest of the trip.

Im going to list my problem (of which im extemely greatful and lucky to have).

Navi
FOP
Gorilla trail
Mahataja trail
Lion king show
Rafiki planet watch
Bird show
Kali River
Everest
Boneyard
Nemo show
Dinosoar
Tri spi
Oasis animal trails
Bugs life show
Character meet and greets
Plus lunch and Dinner.

How can this be done in 10 hours?

Navi
FOP
Gorilla trail
Mahataja trail
Lion king show
Rafiki planet watch
Bird show
Kali River
Everest
Boneyard
Nemo show
Dinosoar
Tri spi
Oasis animal trails
Bugs life show
Plus lunch and Dinner.

Oh i missed the safari

Navi
FOP
Gorilla trail
Mahataja trail
Lion king show
Rafiki planet watch
Bird show
Kali River
Everest
Boneyard
Nemo show
Dinosoar
Tri spi
Oasis animal trails
Bugs life show
Plus lunch and Dinner.

The best strategy is to do the Avatar rides at rope drop. Then watch the wait times for the other stuff. They seems to be an ebb and flow to that park where a line can be super long for something like Everest, but than 2 hours later the line is half that. Plus a lot of people tend to leave the park in the afternoon and it gets easier to get on the rides. Use the mid day to go on the trails and shows.

The people who think that are the ones that are only interested in the rides. There is so much more to AK than the rides. I love walking the trails and there is a fun interactive experience on your Play Disney app for those trails. Obviously everyone is different, but I enjoy the more low key aspect of AK and being able to just wander and look at the animals and the design. It is a nice mental break and slowdown from the rest of the trip.
This is how we approach AK. Love the immersion. Besides FOP I couldn't care less what we get on.

Oh i missed this.
You are exactly right. But this is the problem. Ak is my fav park. I love the theming and want to leisurely take in the atmosphere and trails. But my fam wants rides.

I do not believe these two wants can be met. Even with genie+.

We have a 7 day park pass.

So im thinking we will be needing to spend 2 days at AK.

If you arrive at opening you can easily do literally everything in less than a full day. We've arrived at noon and done 80-90% of it.

Putting it another way, if you do everything in each park, AK will take the least amount of time.

The lines are shorter and unlike the other parks it starts clearing out mid-afternoon.

Reactions: itf
I agree with you- AK is a theme park/zoo/reserve. As such it requires more time to savor. you did not mention what time of year you will be visiting, but in the summer months AK gets extremely warm and humid. Travelling with a group of seven can slow your touring speed, add in the heat and that's another reason to consider two days for your favorite park :-)

If you have ETPE, make sure you are at the entrance a half hour before that time. Hit FOP and Navi right away. Depending on the time, hit Everest and then the safari. Or, if you can get to the safari right at open, do that first. Everything after that should be pretty easy. If you're doing G+ and ILL, that would probably change things, but it would be even easier. Hit the shows when it gets hot and the park starts to fill up. Get lunch at snack stands (snack around). Earlier is better. Hit the trails after/between shows. Finish any rides you didn't get after everyone else starts to leave. We usually hit Kali last, in case we get soaked-we leave. If you can make a push for rides early, you'll have more time for leisurely things later on. We always do two days at AK, but we never stay in a park all day. You could knock out all the rides by 10 without using G+, leaving quite a bit of time for everything else on your list. A second day would guarantee everything, with most things having a second go. Now, if you want to spend hours on each trail/Rafiki then I would say you should definitely get two days at AK.

Oh i missed this.
You are exactly right. But this is the problem. Ak is my fav park. I love the theming and want to leisurely take in the atmosphere and trails. But my fam wants rides.

We have a 7 day park pass.

That is why I go solo. LOL When our kids were younger and we all went together, my husband and I would take turns having an afternoon to ourselves.

Not exactly true. As a solo adult I only ride FOP, Safari, EE, and occasionally Dinosaur. I like to walk the trails, see the shows, but I don't do Navi ride every trip or rafiki's planet watch. I spend time having a beer and watching the street entertainment in Africa section. I don't bother with Play Disney things as a 60+ year old. I don't need a full day there if I start first thing in the morning, but I would not say I am only interested in rides.

We have a ride routine now, FoP, Safari, Everest, (multiple rides,) Dinosaur, and can knock those out very fast at rope drop. DH recently did Navi right after rope dropping FoP, and it didn't take too long. After Dinosaur, can double back, and start doing the shows/other rides, then trails. The trails do often close earlier than the park closing, as does the Safari, so keep that in mind. Plus, if there are thunderstorms, or threat of, in the area, that'll close the outdoor rides. Haven't done Rafiki in a while, but that will take time, to get there, and wander around. Kali may result in wet clothes for a while, so might want to do later. We don't spend much time on lunch/dinner, would do QS for both, 1 being Satuli. Haven't done character meets at AK in a while, not sure best strategy for those.
Also, by rope drop, I mean arriving at least 45 mins before the extra early morning hours, if staying on site, to be near the front for FoP. DH and DS were the first ones on one trip. If staying offsite, and not getting the advantage of the extra 30 mins, I don't know the best strategy. Can always save FoP until right at closing.
we LOVE AK, and I had a wonderful time exploring the trails on my last trip. We dont' do many shows though, so not sure how best to work those in. Unless the heat is just unbearable, which it often is when we go, I can stay all day. or do 2 days. Happy planning!

I agree with all that. My husband and I love AK for those reasons and more. It is our favorite park, yes, even over the MK. We can take our time and walk the trails, check out all the out of the way areas, see shows, do rides, eat at nice places, and spend time looking at the animals and going on the safari. Even the walk into the main park is interesting and filled with animals and plants. But I think we are in the minority on this.

Navi
FOP
Gorilla trail
Mahataja trail
Lion king show
Rafiki planet watch
Bird show
Kali River
Everest
Boneyard
Nemo show
Dinosoar
Tri spi
Oasis animal trails
Bugs life show
Plus lunch and Dinner.

If ya'll meander and take your time, you won't get it all done but if you skip some portions of attractions, you likely can. You just have to decide what's more important, getting your entire list done or actually having time to enjoy what you're doing.

If you eat QS and don't book any ADRs, plan to RD and stay until park close which is absurdly early right now, you can likely do it all, barring any things being closed/down.

Navi
FOP
Gorilla trail
Mahataja trail
Lion king show
Rafiki planet watch
Bird show
Kali River
Everest
Boneyard
Nemo show
Dinosoar
Tri spi
Oasis animal trails
Bugs life show
Plus lunch and Dinner.

And Winged Encounters (different from Bird Show - Feathered friends in flight). Love this quick show!

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/entertainment/animal-kingdom/winged-encounters/

We also always try to see Divine character meet - I think usually towards the front of the park. 86A281B6-BA15-4D39-AFA0-A024170DB24B.jpeg

If you are there only for the thrill rides, it is a half day park.
If you want to do everything including the walking trails, it is a full day park. At least it is for us.

I agree with you- AK is a theme park/zoo/reserve. As such it requires more time to savor. you did not mention what time of year you will be visiting, but in the summer months AK gets extremely warm and humid. Travelling with a group of seven can slow your touring speed, add in the heat and that's another reason to consider two days for your favorite park :-)
We are going mid august. Surface of the sun hot. Trying to minimize walking as much as possible.
I agree with all that. My husband and I love AK for those reasons and more. It is our favorite park, yes, even over the MK. We can take our time and walk the trails, check out all the out of the way areas, see shows, do rides, eat at nice places, and spend time looking at the animals and going on the safari. Even the walk into the main park is interesting and filled with animals and plants. But I think we are in the minority on this.
We may be few but we are strong and proud :). Love AK.
And Winged Encounters (different from Bird Show - Feathered friends in flight). Love this quick show!

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/entertainment/animal-kingdom/winged-encounters/

We also always try to see Divine character meet - I think usually towards the front of the park. View attachment 779462
Oh yes. Have to do winged encounters as well. Thats the show by the tree of life that has birds fly over everyones heads and terrifies my wife right?

Also why do you have a pic of a random person looking at foliage?.....oh i see now :). So glad she is still around after all these years.

Not exactly true. As a solo adult I only ride FOP, Safari, EE, and occasionally Dinosaur. I like to walk the trails, see the shows, but I don't do Navi ride every trip or rafiki's planet watch. I spend time having a beer and watching the street entertainment in Africa section. I don't bother with Play Disney things as a 60+ year old. I don't need a full day there if I start first thing in the morning, but I would not say I am only interested in rides.
I think that you just proved my point. Those that are not interested in doing everything that the park offers, like you just said, do not spend the whole day in the parks. If you did everything, all of the rides, the shows, the trails, the interactive experiences, etc, that absolutely can take the whole day to get done. And you are not "too old" to do the interactive stuff on Play Disney. It actually has quite a bit of information about the animals in it. It is definitely not just for children. I am 50 and I use it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter