AK Kidani Village

katyjeka

DIS Veteran
We just reserved 2 bedroom savannah view at Kidani Village. I know better than to believe everything I see on trip advisor but I'm surprised by all the negatives. I'm worried I've made a mistake.... Is there anyone who has positive things to say about it?

I'm not sure what criticisms you're seeing. If it's relative to upkeep, be aware that the rooms are due for refurbishment in the next year or two, so if you visit before that happens, expect soft goods to look well-loved -- although this could be said of almost any Disney hotel that hasn't just been refurbed.

As far as the common areas of the resort itself, to be fair, we have not stayed at Kidani, but we did spend a solid week at Jambo and made multiple visits (sometimes on foot, sometimes via bus) to Kidani to dine, and tour the resort and its amenities. Other than Kidani's smaller footprint, quieter and more relaxing atmosphere, and lack of on-site counter-service restaurant, there was very little difference between the two, and we loved them both. In fact, we decided if that we were going to stay at AKL again, we'd want to stay at Kidani, because it has the edge when it comes to transportation (first drop off for buses coming back from the parks, and first pick-up for buses headed to the parks), and is where Sanaa -- one of our top-favorite-ever Disney restaurants -- is located. One of the lovely things about both AKL resorts is that they have all the vibrant outdoor life of a zoo (while our room wasn't savannah view, there were many lookouts and common areas facing the savannah for us to enjoy), fascinating indoor displays reminiscent of an art museum or cultural center, and all the amenities of a Disney deluxe hotel. There's really nothing else like them on property, although Wilderness Lodge follows a similar model, only American-style and sans exotic wildlife.

I'm sure you'll see people who complain that the AKL resorts in general are far-flung or a long drive from things, but I think this criticism is very overblown: it's of course a very short bus ride to/from AK, but only 5 minutes or so longer to/from the other parks, and we didn't feel like we spent more time on buses when we stayed at AKL than we did at any of the other deluxes where we've stayed.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm not sure why but it just seems as if the resort gets a ton of bad reviews.

Our family enjoys staying at Kidani especially when not doing park heavy trips.

For us the positives.
Since your in a 2 bedroom you will have 3 full bathrooms!!
It has Sanaa
It has the community hall.
It has underground parking (what a blessing in the summer!!!)
Its pool is smaller than Jambo.
Slightly less busy.

The negatives.
Bus service can be slow (We will drive everywhere when staying here except MK)
No Quick Service (but you have a full kitchen and the pool bar does have some offerings)

As @weather_lady mentioned they are in need of a refurb so hopefully that was the only bad thing that was mentioned.

I know you will enjoy your stay!!

I do not believe the majority of reviews posted. It seems many reviews are made by people who have not actually stayed at the resort but may have visited. I have never found the Bus rides long nor wait times but if the 4 minutes you may save vs another resort matters.... and this will be by far made up going to other parks.
With that Kidani has a better slide and a nicer pool although much smaller then Jambo with a great splash area.
I have seen better action from the animals as the Savannah is much larger and they can run as on the Jambo side you get a slow walk at best. The 2 br rooms are nicer especially the master bath.
There are things we like about Jambo over Kidani but as above those are the positives for us.

There’s a a thread just a few posts below this one discussing the same thing in case you want to read more discussion about it.

I’ve stayed relatively recently and the resort is fine. Rooms will look a bit dated because it’s been a while since the last refurbishment, but that doesn’t mean it’s in bad shape.

I believe a lot of people see the theming, which makes the rooms a lot darker than other resorts, as when a hotel looks run down.

The only thing I wish was a little better is the long hallways. Really love this resort. It is a destination in and of itself. You'll love it.

Bus service can be slow (We will drive everywhere when staying here except MK)
This piece is interesting to me. We've had great bus experience at Kidani. In fact 2 Christmases ago we had our car with us but didn't use our car since the bus service was so good.

This piece is interesting to me. We've had great bus experience at Kidani. In fact 2 Christmases ago we had our car with us but didn't use our car since the bus service was so good.
This was pre pandemic but bus just wouldn’t come. We ended up waiting for 45 minutes. TV screen was updating the times which is why we didn’t leave sooner. I know this not normal but was our experience and now SO refuses to bus. I have been able to persuade to at least bus to MK.

This was pre pandemic but bus just wouldn’t come. We ended up waiting for 45 minutes. TV screen was updating the times which is why we didn’t leave sooner. I know this not normal but was our experience and now SO refuses to bus. I have been able to persuade to at least bus to MK.
Believe me, I understand. I get very impatient with buses myself. I have a couple of resorts (non-DVC) that I refuse to stay at because of the bus service.

I always have in my mind that some people are more likely to go online to complain than to compliment, and some people have unrealistic expectations. If you researched before you booked, chatted it through with your fellow travellers and felt it was the right decision at the time, then try not to let negative reviews ruin your excitement in the run up to your trip.

We just reserved 2 bedroom savannah view at Kidani Village. I know better than to believe everything I see on trip advisor but I'm surprised by all the negatives. I'm worried I've made a mistake.... Is there anyone who has positive things to say about it?
I asked this same question a few days ago and feel reassured everything is going to be okay by the responses. :)

We loved the huge bathroom. You could fit 50 people in there. We like the room layout. We love the huge long balcony. We have had great views of the savanna and some not great and one downright awful at the very edge of savanna, next to the pool. This was a savanna view???

But we really really really don't like the distance to the end of the wings. We do not drive, so we must always walk toward the lobby to get the buses. As we got older, we liked it less. If fact , because of this , we have crossed AKL off the list.

PS, really really jealous of those who got rooms in the first segment next to lobby. In about 8-10 trips there, never got close.

Kidani is our resort of preference. We have hosted family in a 2-bedroom suite at Kidani, every year going back to 2011 or 2012. We have had a maximum of 6 people in the two bedrooms. This year, we had 5. (Newlyweds did not join us.) The savannah view is well worth it, if you can afford the cost or DVC points. Sometimes we have had a savannah view, and sometimes we haven't. We don't spend a long time on the balconies looking at the animals, but the ads that show people taking coffee onto the balconies to view the animals show one of the nicest features of staying there. We like the restaurant Sanaa that is located right at Kidani; actually we like it very much. Dinners are excellent. I recommend the bread service and the salad assortment, as well as your choice of main course. Sanaa has a quick-service breakfast (order at the counter, and it is delivered to your table). One of the best features of this, and an advantage over Jambo, is that the windows at Sanaa look out on the savannah. We have seen many animals while we were having breakfast. Sanaa and Kidani in general is calm and lovely. If you bring a car, my spouse points out that the covered, ground-level parking at Kidani offers a significant advantage over open-air parking at Jambo House, during many parts of the year. That keeps the car cool, sheltered from the rain when that matters, and it allows multiple trips to pick up luggage that it was convenient to leave in the car, or return to the car. From the parking area, the elevators reduce the distances you have to travel down the hallways. We have sometimes driven to dinners at other resorts, and the parking is convenient for departure and return. Transit to the parks does take a little longer from either Kidani or Jambo, versus the other resorts that are closer to multiple parks. We have not found that to be a problem, except that it is a bit tiring if you have to stand on the bus and you have spent a long day in a park. If you like Wilderness Lodge, I think you will also like Kidani/Jambo House very much.

We have generally picked Kidani over Jambo House, even though the decor at Jambo House is stepped up from Kidani, Jambo offers Jiko, Boma, Victoria Falls, and the Mara for restaurant/bar/quick service, and I have seen Chip and Dale in the lobby at Jambo, but not at Kidani. The pool at Kidani is nice, but the pool at Jambo is larger. The gift shop at Jambo is larger. The halls at Jambo are shorter than Kidani's, and there are quite a few hallways that have savannah view rooms on both sides, rather than just on one side.

So, why pick Kidani over Jambo? We have stayed at both, though with smaller groups at Jambo. For us, there is one main reason to prefer Kidani, and one subsidiary reason. The main reason: The 2-bedroom suites at Kidani have three bathrooms, and there are no 2-bedroom suites at Jambo with three bathrooms. You would have to have a Grand Villa to have that many bathrooms. Our family group has generally included two young women, so the three bathrooms are essential if we want to leave before noon! (Not really kidding!) As the subsidiary reason, at my age, I prefer the large showers in the master suites at Kidani, which have flat entries over the the bathtubs with shower that are in at least some of the master suites at Jambo. The Kidani showers are much more convenient. The jacuzzis are separate in the master suite at Kidani.

A shuttle runs between Kidani and Jambo, but depending on the weather, you can also use a lovely walking trail between the two resorts, which is not too long. So if you want to go over to Jambo for a visit or activity there, it's easy.

Oh, one other difference between Kidani/Jambo and the other resort hotels: Balloons are not permitted at either one, to protect the animals. You can't bring one from the parks onto a bus to the resort.

I think you will have a wonderful time! We have always loved it there!

Kidani is our resort of preference. We have hosted family in a 2-bedroom suite at Kidani, every year going back to 2011 or 2012. We have had a maximum of 6 people in the two bedrooms. This year, we had 5. (Newlyweds did not join us.) The savannah view is well worth it, if you can afford the cost or DVC points. Sometimes we have had a savannah view, and sometimes we haven't. We don't spend a long time on the balconies looking at the animals, but the ads that show people taking coffee onto the balconies to view the animals show one of the nicest features of staying there. We like the restaurant Sanaa that is located right at Kidani; actually we like it very much. Dinners are excellent. I recommend the bread service and the salad assortment, as well as your choice of main course. Sanaa has a quick-service breakfast (order at the counter, and it is delivered to your table). One of the best features of this, and an advantage over Jambo, is that the windows at Sanaa look out on the savannah. We have seen many animals while we were having breakfast. Sanaa and Kidani in general is calm and lovely. If you bring a car, my spouse points out that the covered, ground-level parking at Kidani offers a significant advantage over open-air parking at Jambo House, during many parts of the year. That keeps the car cool, sheltered from the rain when that matters, and it allows multiple trips to pick up luggage that it was convenient to leave in the car, or return to the car. From the parking area, the elevators reduce the distances you have to travel down the hallways. We have sometimes driven to dinners at other resorts, and the parking is convenient for departure and return. Transit to the parks does take a little longer from either Kidani or Jambo, versus the other resorts that are closer to multiple parks. We have not found that to be a problem, except that it is a bit tiring if you have to stand on the bus and you have spent a long day in a park. If you like Wilderness Lodge, I think you will also like Kidani/Jambo House very much.

We have generally picked Kidani over Jambo House, even though the decor at Jambo House is stepped up from Kidani, Jambo offers Jiko, Boma, Victoria Falls, and the Mara for restaurant/bar/quick service, and I have seen Chip and Dale in the lobby at Jambo, but not at Kidani. The pool at Kidani is nice, but the pool at Jambo is larger. The gift shop at Jambo is larger. The halls at Jambo are shorter than Kidani's, and there are quite a few hallways that have savannah view rooms on both sides, rather than just on one side.

So, why pick Kidani over Jambo? We have stayed at both, though with smaller groups at Jambo. For us, there is one main reason to prefer Kidani, and one subsidiary reason. The main reason: The 2-bedroom suites at Kidani have three bathrooms, and there are no 2-bedroom suites at Jambo with three bathrooms. You would have to have a Grand Villa to have that many bathrooms. Our family group has generally included two young women, so the three bathrooms are essential if we want to leave before noon! (Not really kidding!) As the subsidiary reason, at my age, I prefer the large showers in the master suites at Kidani, which have flat entries over the the bathtubs with shower that are in at least some of the master suites at Jambo. The Kidani showers are much more convenient. The jacuzzis are separate in the master suite at Kidani.

A shuttle runs between Kidani and Jambo, but depending on the weather, you can also use a lovely walking trail between the two resorts, which is not too long. So if you want to go over to Jambo for a visit or activity there, it's easy.

Oh, one other difference between Kidani/Jambo and the other resort hotels: Balloons are not permitted at either one, to protect the animals. You can't bring one from the parks onto a bus to the resort.

I think you will have a wonderful time! We have always loved it there!
Very informative. Thanks so much.

We absolutely love Kidani. We were there last September in a 2 bedroom Savanna view. Having 3 full bathrooms for the 4 adults and 2 children was perfect. The pool area and slide were just right for our two 4 year olds.
One of the main complaints I read about AKV is that it is ‘too far from MK” or the other parks. That is another thing I love about AKV. After a day in the parks, I relish the relative quiet of being slightly away from ‘The Disney Bubble’.

All this talk (this thread and the other similar one) about Kidani made me remember really how much we love it. Just changed our June trip from an 8 night BLT Lake View Studio to a 3/5 night Savanna View Studio/1BR split at Kidani.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter