AK / Pandora / FoP at EMH

LSUfan4444

DIS Veteran
So yesterday we did AK/Pandora at RD with no FP and wanted to share our experience for those interested. Feel free to let me know if you have any questions.

This was a last minute trip and got one of the new/updated rooms at Pop Century for $600 for 5 nights (AP discount).

Ordered an Uber at 6:40 am and was picked up from the 90s building and in the car for 6:45 am with a quoted cost of $9.00.

Was out of the car and walking to the bag check line at 6:58 am. At the time we arrived there were only two people in line for bagless entry.

20374264_1437334783021875_2046591128801315088_n.jpg

We chose 7 am arrival to be safe but by 7:15 this was the scene behind me. I think any arrival before 7:15 with no bags and you're good to go.

20431709_1437344003020953_2549280781197622907_n.jpg

At 7:25, the scene behind me

20374688_1437352089686811_7174475104234349667_n.jpg

Now, even though we had been standing directly in front of security since jus before 7 am at about 7:45 or so the crowds were let in and we were immediately pulled to go through the metal detectors and stand in line behind a few groups who had to go through the bag check line and were also pulled.

This process is ridiculous IMO. If you want to pull people from the front of the bagless line, then pull them before the masses are let through. There is no reason to punish people who made the effort to arrive there early. They let in those on the Africa Trek and other "events" so there is really no reason they couldn't have pulled a few families at say 7:35 to go through the metal detectors if they wanted to.

Anyway, at about 7:40 the crowds were let in and we went from first in the line to about 30 back at my tapstile. We had not intentions on running but figured being first at the bagless line we would be in the first 5 people or so at one of the tapstiles. Not so, but we roll on.

20431678_1437356526353034_2965144643921637290_n.jpg

27 minutes after scanning my magic band to enter animal kingdom, being held at the first bridge, being held at Tiffins then being held slightly while they split the river journey and FoP crowds I was being genetically matched to my banshee.

20294246_1437376163017737_2115651087683373575_n.jpg

this 27 minutes includes the 12 minutes and 39 seconds it took me to get from the entrance to the attraction to the pre show area. Posted wait time said 60 minutes when we went under the sign but it was less than 15.

20374307_1437376449684375_9183449214435448766_n.jpg

So, a 6:58 arrival for an EMH morning, being genetically matched at 8:10 am and back out front by 8:23 am with River Journey only at a 20 minute wait the made our way to Everest and rode twice (once with a 5 minute wait and once with a 10 minute wait).

Last edited:
This is exactly the kind of post that I've been hoping for. Did you order your uber ahead of time, or did you just do it in the morning that day?

Thank you for the good info. Will be there in Sept and was going to get to AK early to ride FOP. We will miss EMH but this gives me an idea of how to plan.

Very helpful, We will follow your plan for avatar on our first day at AK as did not manage to get a FP for FoP. we plan to to do FoP Twice in the morning straight away. It was rather bad that you had to be pushed back further even though you got there early.

Thank you so much for this! I am planning basically the same thing for our October trip and it is awesome to see that it works!

So with this plan do you think you could do FOP and Navi river????

Has anyone waited and done both of these at the night EMH? thoughts?

This is exactly the kind of post that I've been hoping for. Did you order your uber ahead of time, or did you just do it in the morning that day?

I ordered mine from my room the morning of. He was near the 90s building to pick me up in about 3 minutes.

So with this plan do you think you could do FOP and Navi river????

Has anyone waited and done both of these at the night EMH? thoughts?

Yes, without question. The key will making sure you're there early enough to not get hung up at FoP. Like I said, when we got off FoP the posted standby wait for River Journey was only 20 minutes.

I would suggest going bagless (or at least sending one person to the bagless line), arriving no later than 7:10 am (7 am is better, 6:55 is even better) and there will be no need to run.

If someone in your group has a bag send them to the bag line and have them meet you at the tapstile...you will be held there before being let into the park. Yes, you will be passed by some runners and yes at times people will cut you off. Yes, it gets hectic near Tiffins but dont worry you'll be in and out in no time.

Its the people who arrive at AK at 7:20 and make their way all the way to where you are at that will have the problem.

It was rather bad that you had to be pushed back further even though you got there early.

I don't mind being screened and chosen to go through the detector but I just don't see why they couldnt tell me before I entered the park. 60 seconds before the masses are let in, pull me and my family and let us get screened then. I'm completely deaf in one ear so as I was walking past the guy (obviously in mass hysteria of people running by me) he must have said something to me and I didn't hear so he literally grabbed me by the shoulder and pointed to the metal detector. I just think there are better ways of doing it but in the end it didn't hurt our plans by all that much. Maybe cost me 10 minutes overall....MAYBE

Did you go through the whole queue at FoP, or were you directed through the FP+ line since you got there so early?

Is it chaos after the welcome parrot release? Are the crowds ushered into Pandora? I've been studying the AK map to figure out the best path to FOP.

Is it chaos after the welcome parrot release? Are the crowds ushered into Pandora? I've been studying the AK map to figure out the best path to FOP.

There is only one path to Pandora at opening, so no need to study the map. Everyone goes the same way, and you won't miss it. The key to doing FOP at opening is being AT the park about an hour before opening time, whether regular or EMH. They are getting the crowds in early, so there may not even be a "welcome parrot release."

There is only one path to Pandora at opening, so no need to study the map. Everyone goes the same way, and you won't miss it. The key to doing FOP at opening is being AT the park about an hour before opening time, whether regular or EMH. They are getting the crowds in early, so there may not even be a "welcome parrot release."

We have every intention to be there very early!! And good thing about skipping the parrot release. Personally it is not a favorite of mine to get pooped on so early in the morning!!

An alternate strategy is to wait until later in the evening when the line gets short. We find this option to be a more efficient use of our time than trying to fight through the masses in the morning or waiting outside of a locked gate for an extended period of time.

Here's an example from FoP earlier this week:

At 9:30 am, the posted wait was 210 minutes with an actual wait of 240.

At 9:30 pm, the posted wait was 60 minutes with an actual wait of 30.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter