AK park hours expanded: how will that affect crowds?

Discussion in 'Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies' started by TheSixOfUs, Jan 13, 2018.

1. TheSixOfUs

TheSixOfUs Mouseketeer

Heading to WDW in late March. I see that they have changed the park hours for AK only. They are 8am-10pm whereas they were previously scheduled 9am-9pm.

Just wondering how this will affect crowds and wait times for FoP in the first hour of the day and the last hour of the evening?

Also, how will affect FP availability? With the park now open 14 hours instead of the previously scheduled 12 hrs, will the availability of fastpasses also increase proportionately?

2. hakepb

hakepb DIS Veteran

Based on Christmas week reports, earlier opens still mean the exact same, drive or Uber to AKL 1 hour before (the now earlier) rope drop, unless you want an instant 60+ minute FOP standby wait.

More hours would mean more FP+ for those extra hours.

3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. MooseBucks

MooseBucks Living the Dream

If you only have one day at AK I’d go a minimum of an hour before rope drop and get on FOP then Navi.

5. Party.Of.4-NY>>>FL

Party.Of.4-NY>>>FL Idn't know I was supposed to be lookin for him sir

Yup, sure will.

In fact, the late February date I was interested in had FPs backfilled for the newly-added 8am-9am time slot as well as the 7pm-8pm time slot.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    GADisneyDad14 likes this.
  6. TeresaWen

TeresaWen DIS Veteran

Oh how I hope this happens to my dates. But only when I'm in my 30 day window :)

maryj11 likes this.
  7. lisa cameron

lisa cameron Mouseketeer

Same here! Presidents weekend! Was able to score a FOP fast pass this AM for Saturday of Presidents’ Day weekend.

Party.Of.4-NY>>>FL likes this.
  8. maryj11

maryj11 DIS Veteran

I wonder if this is going to be a change for all months in the future. Which would mean morning extra magic hours would start at 7:00am.

9. lisa cameron

lisa cameron Mouseketeer

Hope there is somewhere to get coffee at 7am within AK! Options look limited.

maryj11 likes this.
  10. VFL

VFL Mouseketeer

We are arriving 2/19. Wasn't able to book FOP for thT evening at 60 day mark. Got a 7:10 p.m. One tonight. Yay!

11. georgina

georgina DIS Veteran

There is a Joffrey’s cart near the entrance, it may even be just outside the entrance.

12. columbusdizfan

columbusdizfan Earning My Ears

There is a Jeffrey’s cart, I think, outside of the entrance BUT when I was there at 6:45 for an 8:00 am opening on 1/3, it wasn’t open by the time they let us through security around 7:20. Of course, it was around 40 degrees and raining and there weren’t too many of us there that early. (But plenty by the time they let us through the gates.)

lisa cameron likes this.