AK, Polynesia or Grand Floridian?

LC30

DIS Veteran
Hello.

We are heading to Disney in December with our 9 year old DS and are considering these 3 resorts Animal Kingdom, Polynesia and Grand Floridian. Would love to get your opinion on which is your favorite and why?

Thank you in advance!

Hello.

We are heading to Disney in December with our 9 year old DS and are considering these 3 resorts Animal Kingdom, Polynesia and Grand Floridian. Would love to get your opinion on which is your favorite and why?

Thank you in advance!

We've stayed at all 3 and while the Poly is our favorite resort overall, we also love the GF and AKL. Out of the 3, the GF and AKL are the best decorated, IMO. All of the resorts are nicely decorated, but some don't have as much as others, which is the case with the Poly. If you want gorgeous decorations and a very festive atmosphere, I'd go with either the GF or AKL. The GF has a little more as far as decorations and is more festive with the gingerbread house in the lobby, but it's also a lot more chaotic/busy as everyone makes the trip there to see everything. With all of that said, you really can't go wrong with any of them as they are all great places to stay, it just depends on which theme/decor you like best and how important the decorations are to you. Having stayed at all 3, we love all of them for different reasons. Good luck.

Because of the age of your son I would go with the Animal Kingdom Lodge. Even if you decided not pick a Savanna View room there is still plenty of viewing areas inside and out of the lodge. They have s'more making, night view binoculars which I liked to do, and dining Boma is a very close second to Ohana at the Poly. My second choice would be the Poly, however we have not stayed there since the lobby makeover. We did walk through on our way to Ohana in a past visit, while I really liked the old look I would love to stay there again. And while we did enjoy our stay at the GF it isn't exactly my cup of tea when it comes to theme.

Wilderness Lodge has construction, with it expected to ramp up. I would take that off my list.

We just got back from the Poly and loved it. However, we have had many stays at AKL and love it there. Based on the child's age and gender, I would go straight for AKL. Totally worth it, and the decorations cannot be beat.

Go for AKL. You won't regret it.

We loved AKL, but smaller rooms. If you are planning to stay in the room a bit and need the room, the Poly is bigger, but for the theming, I don't think AKL can be beat. However, we are staying at the Poly in Dec because of the access on the monorail system and 'Ohana is my favorite restaurant!

Hello.

Thank you in advance!
I have stayed at all and the Poly is my favorite. GF is a little too stuffy/uptight for my taste and not really geared towards kids. AKL is great, but I didn't care for the dining options and didn't like taking the bus everywhere.

The Poly houses one of my favorite restaurants, Ohana. I also love the theme. It is also right next door to TTC meaning you can access both MK and Epcot direct via Monorail. Being that I have two small kids, this is worth the money for me-- the convenience factor.

Thank you everyone for help! We have stayed at AK a few times and we absolutely love it. I would love to stay at the Poly because I really love that resort. But Poly is $1500 more than GF and AK. :worried: So DH and I are discussing if we should save that $$$ and spend it on adventures and experiences at WDW.

Thank you everyone for help! We have stayed at AK a few times and we absolutely love it. I would love to stay at the Poly because I really love that resort. But Poly is $1500 more than GF and AK. :worried: So DH and I are discussing if we should save that $$$ and spend it on adventures and experiences at WDW.
Stay at GF- the best EVER!!! You won't be disappointed!

Hello.

Thank you in advance!

Grand Floridian. Especially in December. We stayed in December 2014, and it was perfect. The decorations, the huge gingerbread house, the Christmas tree, the band playing Christmas carols, being able to see Cinderella Castle lit up at night, the decorations outside, the decorations and music playing in each individual building. Our daughter loved it and asks to go back. The proximity to magic kingdom can't be beat, and there are so many kid friendly restaurants on property- 7 including the two restaurants by the pool, plus other activities.

We've never stayed there, but several posters have recently mentioned how long the bus rides are to the parks from AKL. But I don't have first hand experience.

We loved the Grand so much we are going back this October.

I have stayed at all and the Poly is my favorite. GF is a little too stuffy/uptight for my taste and not really geared towards kids.

No disrespect, but I find that this is such a huge misconception. Our 3.5 year old loved the GF and there were kids running around everywhere. It's a luxury resort, but it's very family friendly and we never encountered any snobbery or stuffiness.

My husband and I would pick the Poly but my DS9 picks AKL. We just stayed at the Poly for 4 nights and are now at AKL. I love being on water and taking the ferry and the Poly is more relaxing. My son likes all the details at AKL.

My 6 & 3 yo boys loved the GF. The pool is outstanding and in December the Gingerbread houses are amazing. We stayed at the Poly on our honeymoon and the atmosphere is great and laid back plus the new pool is lots of fun. I don't know much about the AKL. You're not going to be disappointed with any of them so I recommend thinking about where you will spend your time during your trip. GF & Poly are very convenient for MK & Epcot. Your son will not be disappointed with any of the choices.

I have stayed at all and the Poly is my favorite. GF is a little too stuffy/uptight for my taste and not really geared towards kids. AKL is great, but I didn't care for the dining options and didn't like taking the bus everywhere.

The Poly houses one of my favorite restaurants, Ohana. I also love the theme. It is also right next door to TTC meaning you can access both MK and Epcot direct via Monorail. Being that I have two small kids, this is worth the money for me-- the convenience factor.

How are prices at Ohana? Like super super expensive? Or more average by Disney standards?

I've never stayed at the Poly, but I want to. My only concern is it may feel old and worn down. Is that the case or not so much?

Stayed GF with 2 and 7 year old. They loved the decorations and the pool and splash pad. And a quick trip to MK. And I suggest a short boat trip back instead of the long monorail ride.

Because of the age of your son I would go with the Animal Kingdom Lodge. Even if you decided not pick a Savanna View room there is still plenty of viewing areas inside and out of the lodge. They have s'more making, night view binoculars which I liked to do, and dining Boma is a very close second to Ohana at the Poly. My second choice would be the Poly, however we have not stayed there since the lobby makeover. We did walk through on our way to Ohana in a past visit, while I really liked the old look I would love to stay there again. And while we did enjoy our stay at the GF it isn't exactly my cup of tea when it comes to theme.

AK and for very many reasons of changes being made. Plus, the age of your dc. Enjoy. AK is a ++++++++

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter