AK trails and birds...

AussieAngel

DIS Veteran
So... *clears throat*... I have a bird phobia. It's a phobia of anything with big, flappy wings really - moths, bats, birds, etc. I'm okay to look at them, but if they can come anywhere near me, I panic!

I've always avoided the Pangani Trail and the Maharajah Jungle Trek at AK because of the bats and the birds, which is a shame because I'd love to see the tigers and gorillas... But now I'm wondering if I really have to.

Do you actually have to walk through the aviaries and the bats' cave (or wherever the icky things live!), or can you avoid them somehow?

Thanks DIS friends! :wave2:

You don't walk thru the bat habitat- you watch from behind windows. But you do walk thru the aviaries on the trails. So you'll probably prefer to avoid these attractions. AFAIK, there is no way to go around the aviaries. It's really too bad- I find the aviaries absolutely fascinating. Could you just close your eyes and have someone lead you quickly through them?

So... *clears throat*... I have a bird phobia. It's a phobia of anything with big, flappy wings really - moths, bats, birds, etc. I'm okay to look at them, but if they can come anywhere near me, I panic!

I've always avoided the Pangani Trail and the Maharajah Jungle Trek at AK because of the bats and the birds, which is a shame because I'd love to see the tigers and gorillas... But now I'm wondering if I really have to.

Do you actually have to walk through the aviaries and the bats' cave (or wherever the icky things live!), or can you avoid them somehow?

Thanks DIS friends! :wave2:

For the Maharajah Trail you don't have to walk thru the aviarym there's a little trail to the left that you can take to avoid that area and meet your family at the other side.
For Pangani if you want to avoid the Aviary you can walk thru the exit of the trail and see the Gorillas and the Meerkats.

In our experiences the birds keep to themselves and dont fly towards you. If your ok just looking at them then you should be ok. I think you would have more of a problem in an aviary where you could feed birds because their more conditioned to fly towards you in the chance you have food.

In our experiences the birds keep to themselves and dont fly towards you. If your ok just looking at them then you should be ok. I think you would have more of a problem in an aviary where you could feed birds because their more conditioned to fly towards you in the chance you have food.

there are 2 big birds (forgot their names) in each of the trails that build huge nests and they fly around all the time very close to you I might add. I visit AK once a month and I've always gone to the aviaries because I love watching birds and I've always seen birds fly very close to you. If it's a true phobia I wouldn't risk it.

I'm not aware of any way around the aviary at the Pangani Forest Trail. It's at the start of the trail, after the "laboratory" building.

At Maharajah Jungle Trek, as PP said, the bats don't enter the viewing area. But there is also a bypass trail that goes completely around the bat house. It's clearly marked with a sign, something like "Those who don't want to see bats, go this way."

At MJT, the aviary is at the very end of the trail, and there is also a bypass trail around it. After you cross the tiger bridge, there's another small tiger viewing area on the right, and the entrance to the aviary is from that viewing area. Just keep to the left around the aviary.

I love the bats and the birds at MJT, so I never noticed that you could avoid the aviary there. At the bat area, the "Those not wishing to see bats..." sign is very obvious.

And you definitely want to avoid the Flights of Wonder show. Depending on where you sit in the audience, you could have a bird of prey flying inches above your head.

And you definitely want to avoid the Flights of Wonder show. Depending on where you sit in the audience, you could have a bird of prey flying inches above your head.

(Raises hand) "Baby Elvis" came right over my head from behind. WHOOSH! I thought it was cool, but if you don't like birds, you'd definitely be freaking out.

(Raises hand) "Baby Elvis" came right over my head from behind. WHOOSH! I thought it was cool, but if you don't like birds, you'd definitely be freaking out.

We always get "Baby Webster", actually we sit just so that it flies close to us.

We always get "Baby Webster", actually we sit just so that it flies close to us.

And they have introduced a freaking "baby" condor now. That thing is huge. We see the show every time we are at Animal Kingdom and when that thing came out, we about fell over as it was impressive. Yes, OP, don't go to Flights of Wonder at all. And don't eat at Flame Tree BBQ either. Lots of native birds in that area. Lots.

I do not like birds either...ok to look at them but i do not want them to touch me...I have walked both trails and been ok...admittedly i do not spend a lot of time w/ the winged critters but they are ok w/ leaving me alone...we have an understanding...lol

While I can't give a specific answer to your question, please feel free to ask a CM at the beginning of the trail about the experience. While we were there last year at the beginning of our walk, a CM pulled my family aside and gave us a sneak peak to view the gorillas whereas normally you wouldn't see them till near the end. It doesn't hurt to let the CM know you phobia and maybe they can re-route you somehow or give you a tip.

I'm not aware of any way around the aviary at the Pangani Forest Trail. It's at the start of the trail, after the "laboratory" building.

At Maharajah Jungle Trek, as PP said, the bats don't enter the viewing area. But there is also a bypass trail that goes completely around the bat house. It's clearly marked with a sign, something like "Those who don't want to see bats, go this way."

At MJT, the aviary is at the very end of the trail, and there is also a bypass trail around it. After you cross the tiger bridge, there's another small tiger viewing area on the right, and the entrance to the aviary is from that viewing area. Just keep to the left around the aviary.

This is exactly right - MJT they can be skipped - Pangori I don't think they can, but you could also ask a CM about it, or just go down the trail backwards.

Obviously the OP hasn't seen Flights of Wonder or they would've clearly known that they are inflicted with FOB.

I wouldn't recommend the OP see Flights of Wonder.

We just came back last week and while on the MJT, this huge bird(someone said it was some kind of pigeon) swooped down and his wing actually brushed my son's head! This was not in the aviary. We thought it was funny but it would be terrifying for someone who doesn't like birds.

I also have "bird phobia". But no one else in my family does. I just go through the aviary at top speed and wait for them at the other side.

My least favorite part of the trip. What parents won't do for their children;)

Augh! No, I've definitely never contemplated going to see Flights of Wonder. Eek! I'll be avoiding that one this trip too.

I had a bad experience at SeaWorld too, feeding the dolphins. You pay for a bucket of fish and take your bucket over to the dolphins in the morning to feed them. Sounds harmless and fun, right? Nobody told me about the crazy birds that come and steal the fish right out of your hands! Eeeeek! Took me hours to recover from.

Anyway, thanks for all the tips everyone! :)

I too have a bird phobia, I mean a real phobia, can't get out of my car if there are more than 3 birds in the area. It's debilitating when I'm at Disney. I can't see the bird show, my daughter has never seen it because of my fear. The trails do freak me out. The MJT I avoid the aviary but in Pangani I walk directly through looking at the ground and repeat safety phrases the entire time I'm walking. I have been known to cry when the birds have come too close, but I can't stand not seeing the other animals on the trail.

We just came back last week and while on the MJT, this huge bird(someone said it was some kind of pigeon) swooped down and his wing actually brushed my son's head! This was not in the aviary. We thought it was funny but it would be terrifying for someone who doesn't like birds.

But, there are native birds all over Disney World, not just at Animal Kingdom and not just on the trails. There are cranes perched on top of the building in Frontierland at Magic Kingdom. Tons of ducks, ospreys, and even eagles flying around World Showcase at Epcot. Haven't seen too many at the Studios. And as mentioned, lots at the Flame Tree BBQ seating area. All these are natives and Disney doesn't make them magical fly away. The only time I've heard of Disney "controlling" them is when the seagulls come in from the coast and take up shop and really make havoc for the guests. Other than that, the native wildlife is left alone except for being a danger to the guests (phobias don't count as being dangerous).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter