AK vs Epcot, can't decide

Djsbride

Mouseketeer
I have an upcoming trip on February 2022. We will be at WDW for 7 full days but we will only go to parks 2 days. HS is a must do but now that I found out that EE will be closed during that time, I'm debating if we should stick to our original plan of going to AK on our 2nd park day or if we should switch it and go to Epcot instead. I went to AK in 2019 and was able to do everything, loved pandora area and FOP. I went to Epcot on the same trip but was only there for less than 3 hours because my youngest son and I got sick and we had to go back to the room. I liked Epcot but wasn't able to fully enjoy it. Hubby and older son stayed back and really liked it. We were contemplating park hopping from AK to EP but we're NOT morning people and I husband is not convinced, he rather spend the $$ for the park hoppers in DS or something else. What would you do if you're in my situation? Party of 4: me, DH and sons 9 and 11.

AK is going to be a half day park if that. In your situation, unless your kids really really love Avatar or the zoo, I'd go EPCOT.

Epcot is beat to hell right now, I'd avoid it.

You said you're not morning people, but for two park days on a 7 night trip, are you able to go to bed early one or two nights?

AK is going to be a half day park if that. In your situation, unless your kids really really love Avatar or the zoo, I'd go EPCOT.
My family spends two full days at Animal Kingdom on an 8 night trip, easily.

I think EPCOT has more to offer and your kids are old enough to enjoy the World Showcase. AK is a half day thing for us, but it is great if you like Avatar. That world is amazing visually.

I could see a case for either. Normally, AK would be our choice, but with EE closed, it's less desirable. I disagree with all who call AK a 1/2-day park, though. There is a lot to enjoy there, even without EE. We can always enjoy multiple days there.

What might draw me to EPCOT, though, is the World Showcase and their Festival of the Arts at that time of year. It is by far our favorite of the EPCOT festivals, with art and entertainment from all over the world, not to mention food/drink stands all around the park. It's an amazing way to enjoy the day, sampling things all around the park. You'd have no need for dining reservations! Just something to consider. Enjoy your trip!

My kids enjoyed pandora and avatar and we wouldn't mind to do it again but we already did it. That's why i'm debating. Thanks for your input :drinking:

To each their own but I can't imagine how? You guys must love animals!! I guess any park can be multiple days.

Don't get me wrong I love AK as do my girls but can barely squeak a full day out of it.
For us, it's not just about the animals. It's about the food, the entertainment, and the enjoyment we get even just walking through. We used to do the MK at 100 mph with kids. Now we are older and appreciate the more peaceful feel for a couple days at AK. But as you say, to each their own!

I could see a case for either. Normally, AK would be our choice, but with EE closed, it's less desirable. I disagree with all who call AK a 1/2-day park, though. There is a lot to enjoy there, even without EE. We can always enjoy multiple days there.

What might draw me to EPCOT, though, is the World Showcase and their Festival of the Arts at that time of year. It is by far our favorite of the EPCOT festivals, with art and entertainment from all over the world, not to mention food/drink stands all around the park. It's an amazing way to enjoy the day, sampling things all around the park. You'd have no need for dining reservations! Just something to consider. Enjoy your trip!
I didn't even get to see the World Showcase when I was there so that's a great point. Thank you.

Unsolicited Other answer: MK. Do MK.

Otherwise, AK is always the first cut we make when we have to, so we'd do Epcot. BUT we still haven't seen Pandora, and my kids are older now, so my opinion might be different in a month after our trip.

Yeah it's definitely the animals. I can park my fat butt on a stump and watch the gorillas for two hours, easy.
I love animals but my kids are super weird and don't care for animals. We don't even go to the zoo! I do plan to go to AKL to check out the animals there.

Unsolicited Other answer: MK. Do MK.

Otherwise, AK is always the first cut we make when we have to, so we'd do Epcot. BUT we still haven't seen Pandora, and my kids are older now, so my opinion might be different in a month after our trip.

Pandora is great, I'm sure you'll love it. MK is amazing and I agree with you, maybe that's what I'll do.

Animal Kingdom does seem hotter. I think the trees and location make it more humid or something, but you are going Feb, so that is a non-issue. If you go to Animal Kingdom, the Festival of the Lion King is almost worth the price of admission.

Animal Kingdom does seem hotter. I think the trees and location make it more humid or something, but you are going Feb, so that is a non-issue. If you go to Animal Kingdom, the Festival of the Lion King is almost worth the price of admission.
My kids were called to stage to dance around during the show. It was truly magical :drinking:

I'm going to vote for getting the hoppers. If you are there for 7 days and only two in the parks it's going to be hard to pick. Boys at that age are tough and it really depends on their interests.

My son loved Epcot from the moment he stepped into it at 3 and it is still his favorite park at almost 41. It does have a lot of construction walls up right now but frankly it's not as bad as you might be lead to believe. We took my son's SO there in Sept. so hot and rainy, she had never been to Epcot and had only been to MK, AK and HS for a portion of a day years ago. She fell in love with Epcot. Bonus, their baby girl loved figment and the Living Seas and even Living with the Land.

AK is beautiful and lots to do. No, it is not just a zoo. Yes, there are animals and yes there is Avatar and yes there are other rides. If you take your time and actually stop and look at things, there are all sorts of hidey holes to see. Your boys might enjoy doing the trail around the Tree of Life and finding all the animals. As far as weather, it's not going to be hot, it could be warm. We were there in Feb. 2020 and it was cold. I'm talking hats and gloves and coats and it rained as well. If you want to make it a half day, you could do that and split it with Epcot. Heck, if you have Hoppers you can split HS and MK, or HS and Epcot and AK and MK or any combination thereof.

Festival of the Arts is usually in the earlier half of February & it's probably our favorite festival Epcot does - it's beautiful, the weather is usually cooler but sunny, and the food & drinks are really fun! And the park opens later so you wouldn't have to feel like you're setting early alarms. You'll have all the festival booths, you can check out Space 220, Remy's new ride, the aquarium, Soarin, Test Track, etc. I think Epcot is an easy full day of fun, but I do usually go with adults who like to eat and drink :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter