• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

AK vs Epcot....if you have to choose.

I would drop second day at MK, so you can do all 4 parks. Otherwise, I would drop HS and go to Epcot. It is very hot at that park and very congested due to traffic flow /construction .

I would drop an MK day and do all four parks. Otherwise, if I had to choose between the two, if rides are the focus I would choose AK, but Epcot is my favorite park overall and DD9 also loves it. It is far from boring even for young kids.

Epcot. The countries will be educational and fun for the 17 year old. The younger kids can do the Epcot exclusive Meet and Greet like Anna, Elsa, Mulan and Alice. If you don't plan to eat at Cinderella's Royal Table, they can meet Snow White and Aurora at Epcot.

AK has now moved into my 'fav' park slot, due to FOP. Now this park gets priority when picking which park to put in what day or which park will get repeated most.

If you're able (you didn't say anything about if on site or not for use of EMH & didn't mention if your park days are consecutive, or anything about your touring styles like you're rope droppers & commando tourers or you like to sleep in & arrive at 10 & be out by 7 for dinner... all are factors when planning), I would recommend visiting 3 parks, then letting the group decide if they want to revisit MK or another park you've been too, or try the 4th park they haven't seen. The realty is a 4 day non- hop ticket is still a sampler ticket. You can sample four parks or you can dig a little deeper or do repeats in 1 park but have to forgo another park entirely. You will still have fun either way, just let the kids know your taking them for an introduction trip, that they will NOT see everything, & you're going to try & hit some highlights you think they'll enjoy.

Animal Kingdom is my favorite park, so I would definitely say AK
Everest and FoP are my favorite rides, Festival of the Lion King is broadway quality. Water ride for hot July weather
Best food, best character meets.
I don't get excited to go to Epcot at all. Test Track is the only "thrill" ride and it's just fast, no thrill

If adding a hopper or adding a day isn't an option I would go with AK because my kids would prefer it over Epcot. There's much more to do at AK and my kids aren't exactly huge fans of WS. We can finish FW at Epcot in half a day. IMO there's not much at Epcot if you don't factor in WS. Also AK is just gorgeous at night.

If it was an adult only trip I would splurge for the hopper and do both parks. Or add a day and do a half day at Epcot.

I personally wouldn't drop a second MK day. I always start and finish a trip with the MK.

Do you live somewhere where you have additional access to a good zoo? If not, I'd pick AK. If yes, then you have a real tough decision. I think it rests on how much you want to do FoP. For me, I would pick AK because I have not had a chance to do FoP yet.

I’d talk to your kids. They are old enough to have input. I was struggling a few months ago to decide on an extra day in one of the parks and we actually made a list of all the rides at each of the parks to see where our favorites were and I let them tell me where they wanted their extra day and all three of them decided on Hollywood Studios even though I feel like it has the least to offer these days. But every one of the rides there is on our must ride list, where other parks have some we just do if we have time. Their favorite rides are there. Of course, we are also staying long enough that they get to go to each park and won’t be missing one.

AK all the way. Epcot is our least favorite of the 4 parks (kids are 17 and 13) and the showcase is boring and we spend a few hours there about every 3rd trip. Educational is a stretch as it is not like the real countries and everything is made in China anyway. Our last trip, we were at AK lots more than Epcot but we had hoppers.

July will be very, very hot and humid, and aK always feels hotter than the other parks to me, so I would pick Epcot because it has more indoor stuff.

My personal take on it is that AK is better for rides and shows, while Epcot has always given us great family memories.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter