Ak101 (2/8)

natt

DIS Veteran
Loved this discussion... AK is now my second favorite park (after Epcot). I've done AK solo (first trip in '10).. and it was the best relaxation and "ME" time I could have expected. Then in '11, we went with DD16 and her BF17 and they wanted to spend serious time watching the animals on the trails (gorillas and blk/wht monkies?) while DH was rushing off to get to no where! So it was a reality check for me that it's time to recheck and how our touring needs to take place at this time in life. Thanks for showcasing this park, because I really to love it for it's beauty!

Animal Kingdom is my favorite park. We always plan for two days here.
I love taking pictures of the unusual animals and the buildings are so different.
Thanks for the podcast!!!

Great segment - keep up the good work, Teresa & Kathy!

I loved this segment. My first visit to AK was after the Dis party at Harry Potter this December. My daughter and I went thinking it was a "half day park". We spent the whole day there and loved it. The theming is amazing. I will probably never get to Nepal but I felt that Asia was the closest thing to it. Africa was spot on theme-wise. We loved the Maharaja and Panjani trails...the animals were so well taken care of. They were beautiful!! We had a leisurely lunch at Yaki and Yeti Restaurant and had a lovely meal. The queue for Expedition Evererst was just wonderful and we didn't mind standing in line. As we were there in December the heat was not a factor.

I agree with Pete and would rank AK higher than the Studios.

I enjoy Animal Kingdom. I like seeing walking the trails and seeing the animals.

I think it is the most beautiful park. However I do see why others don't like it. Members of my family don't like it. It's too hot. The plants do give it a effect that happens in greenhouses. And when it's crowded it can be oppressive.

The key is to go early and enjoy the environment of the park.

Haven't listened to that segment of the podcast yet, but I love just wandering around AK looking at all the little details. Last visit, I spent a few hours just taking pictures. Here's some of my favorites.

DSC_2703.jpg

DSC_2710.jpg

DSC_2739.jpg

For those who are a glutton for punishment, you can see all of them at my album on Google + (I don't think you have to be a member to see them, but let me know if this doesn't work.)

Since we got DVC and got a more relaxed style, we don't feel as rushed when going through AK like we used to. We still don't necessarily spend an entire day there, but we might visit it for a few more hours in the morning on another day. We typically won't do the jungle trek every time, for instance, but we'll take it more easy and look at various things. And if we are on an unusually short trip, AK might be the park we cut - but only because we know we're coming back.

But we've done all the shows now (and you know, those birds in Flights of Wonder don't always catch the food...), and don't need to do them every single time either. So we end up with plenty of time to do the things we need to, and be relaxed about it.

Loved this segment, and hearing the different views on AK. Goes to show everyone is different, and enjoys different things, as well as has vastly different opinions.

Just for reference, for our family, Animal Kingdom is a 2 day park. We can't imagine anything less, but then again, we LOVE simply taking in the scenery. We generally spend a day just walking around, seeing shows, and taking pictures. (mad photo person here). Our 2nd day, is hitting major rides, hanging out at the Boneyard with our 3 and 9 year old, and hitting anything we missed the first day.

We are probably on the odd side, but if we could choose just two parks to visit, it would be Animal Kingdom and Magic Kingdom. Could do without MGM at all, and while we love Epcot, there is just not enough for the kids at this age yet. (Although we also do 2 days there as well).

Keep up the great work guys!

With the exception of the Nemo show and some of the stuff in that game area by Primevil Whirl, I really love the AK.

I do get that it is not the park for everyone and wouldn't go there in the humid summertime unless a small person I loved had their heart set on it...but I love the place and feel it is the best themed park in Orlando.

I love AK - I think the trail with the animal exhibits around the tree of life is one of the most magical places in Disney World. And despite being right in the middle of the park, I think most people miss it as they dash from ride to ride.

We are probably on the odd side, but if we could choose just two parks to visit, it would be Animal Kingdom and Magic Kingdom. Could do without MGM at all, and while we love Epcot, there is just not enough for the kids at this age yet. (Although we also do 2 days there as well).

Keep up the great work guys!

I totally agree with you on the two parks to visit. last 7.5 day solo trip I visited AK 5 times, Mk 3 times, Epcot twice, and HS 1 hr to ride TSM at rope drop.

This was another great report by Theresa and Kathy. :thumbsup2

Our family really likes Animal Kingdom, but I do find the layout to be a bit frustrating. I find that I have to refer to the map and signs far more at Animal Kingdom than at the other parks. Maybe that's the point, to make you feel like you're lost in the jungle, I don't know. Also, I don't like how you have to backtrack from the Festival of the Lion King show to get back to the rest of the park. It's not all that far of a walk, but I guess I just don't like having to retrace my steps.

One thing in the podcast that made me laugh was the discussion about Kali River Rapids. We rode it for the first time on our last trip, and I couldn't believe it when I saw that we were back at the loading dock already. I think the "Rapids" in the name refers to how quickly the ride is over. :)

I love Kali!!!

I know there are many things about it that suck, but I love that ride sooo much...and nobody ever wants to ride it.

If they had just not done the suckiness to it, it would have been PERFECT.

This was another great report by Theresa and Kathy. :thumbsup2

Our family really likes Animal Kingdom, but I do find the layout to be a bit frustrating. I find that I have to refer to the map and signs far more at Animal Kingdom than at the other parks. Maybe that's the point, to make you feel like you're lost in the jungle, I don't know. Also, I don't like how you have to backtrack from the Festival of the Lion King show to get back to the rest of the park. It's not all that far of a walk, but I guess I just don't like having to retrace my steps.

One thing in the podcast that made me laugh was the discussion about Kali River Rapids. We rode it for the first time on our last trip, and I couldn't believe it when I saw that we were back at the loading dock already. I think the "Rapids" in the name refers to how quickly the ride is over. :)

Too funny, I always say the exact same thing. I always tell someone to be sure to have their map handy at AK, I've gotten turned around more times than I can remember and the backtracking from FOTLK bugs me too.

I love AK except for the humidity. It it were a little cooler and drier I would definitely do two days there. We did an evening EMH there one night and it was just lovely. Cooler and very pretty at night.

I always think its funny when people say DAK is a half-day park. I can understand if you're local or been several times and just want to hit the big rides. But for someone who has never been there is not only so much detail to take in, but story as well. In Discovery Island alone there is an elaborate story line about the settlers of the island and what their heritage is. The whole story is told in the beautiful carvings and sculptures found through out that section. How many people (like me) have just rushed pass this area to get to the main attractions? I work at DAK nowadays, and with earlier closing times I encounter many families who don't have enough time to experience the whole park in one day. It is so huge with so much to do. And if you're not a big fan, I highly recommend any of the backstage tours. Just finding out how we take care of the animals will get you excited. DAK is by far my favorite park. Even though I work there and go there on several of my days off, I'm still finding something new every time.

To add to my previous post; I also think that too many folks look at AK as another MK. It really does need to be looked at for what it is. NOT another Magic Kingdom. We have one of those already. :goodvibes

I applaud Disney for doing something different in ALL there parks. AK to me is an example of pure genius. Heck, I could enjoy my day there just taking pictures, and taking in the scenery. I truly feel that I am no longer in Florida when in the park. The areas, to me, are that well themed.

In the end, I'm actually hoping that the addition of "Avatar Land", which I am excited about, doesn't make the park more, well, "standard theme park" like. We have enough of those already. :)

Ok, here we go. Hi Im Saramc and Ive never taken my kids to Animal Kingdom* other than when DS was 5 months old and we were there for a half day. but that doesnt really count, he slept the whole time we were in the park.

We were not super hudge fans of the park. So as the kids have gone on trips and were little ( 1 and 4 last time we went) we thought there was too much dark scary rides and nothing really for them.

Listening to the podcast, we changed our minds. The next trip DD will be three and DS will be 6. Were going to Animal Kingdom the first day. We will give it the college try. DS is already big enough to go on Dinosaur and I think if he wore earplugs it wouldnt scare him so much. He loves Dinosaurs but not such a fan of loud noise.

We are thinking of starting early with breakfast at tusker house and hitting the safari and trying to see what we can see.

Thanks guys for shining the light on a park we were passing by. :)

Haven't listened to that segment of the podcast yet, but I love just wandering around AK looking at all the little details. Last visit, I spent a few hours just taking pictures. Here's some of my favorites.

DSC_2703.jpg

DSC_2710.jpg

DSC_2739.jpg

For those who are a glutton for punishment, you can see all of them at my album on Google + (I don't think you have to be a member to see them, but let me know if this doesn't work.)

Awsome photos! You definately have a knack for photography. I feel the same about Animal Kingdom as you. Its just so darn nice to look at. Last trip i went with my 4 year old and 6 mo old. While Mommy and the 4yo went on everest I got to just stroll around the park and apreciating everything. The details are phenomenal and i do believe it to be the best looking park.

I can definately see why people may not like the park however. This park has more of a passive layed back allure to it. Alot of people like to go to the parks and be entertained. So they need ride after ride, attraction after attraction. Whereas in Animal Kingdom half the experience is just sitting back and looking. Now this is probably something that is hard to do when you have several kids with pent up energy always asking "whats next". Its also hard to do when theres tons of people and the paths seem so narrow and hot. But if your like me and just have an infant strolling around the park, a solo traveler, adult couple, then you can definately have an excelent time.

Oh and the lion king and nemo shows are also top notch. I'd definately pay $15 just to see nemo. Now that i'm a dad i'm a little bit more emotional and this show is a tear jerker.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter