Akershus or Cinderella's RT?

blistex

Mouseketeer
We are doing a quick and kind-of last-minute trip in Feb and my 4 year old is currently obsessed with Rapunzel and Disney princesses in general but most especially Rapunzel. Of course there aren't any ADRs currently available (or when they are they are at terrible times for preschoolers like an 8:45 PM dinner seating) but I'm stalking them for cancellations. We do have the dining plan so if we do Akershus we could still do Trattoria Rapunzel breakfast with our credits versus spending two on CRT (assuming I could get it).

For those who have done both, would you pick Akershus or Cinderella's? For reference, Rapunzel is #1 and #2 is either Cindy or Belle depending on the day, neither my daughter nor my 6 year old son are very adventurous eaters but they are all-in for character interactions.

Rapunzel isn't generally at CRT. If she's your top priority, then I'd make the Trattoria breakfast your #1.

Also, there are a few free services where you can get a text if an ADR matching your criteria opens up, rather than stalking the system. I had very good luck with the touring plans reservation finder which only requires you create a free account, not a paid subscription.

We haven't done the Rapunzel breakfast yet, but I honestly think I would do Akershus and Trattoria just based on the fact you get to meet Flynn too. And you get two meals out of it.
Akershus is fine for breakfast for the less than adventurous types, lunch and dinner are a harder sell. Breakfast they have a little appetizer buffet (that might be beyond what the kids may be willing to eat), but they bring the standard breakfast stuff to the table(eggs, sausage, potatoes) and you can have as much as you like. And lunch and dinner are good, the names of the food really just sound weird. It's actually pretty normal food.
We had dinner at CRT last month. It was really good and I would do it again. But we had a long trip and credits to burn. I'm not sure I would use two at the expense of a meal where your little one could meet her favorite princess.
About getting reservations, try touring plans reservation finder. It's free and they will text/email you if there is an opening for your desired restaurant at the time you would like.

We have had breakfast at CRT on every trip except for one, the year we ate at Akershus. CRT is 100% grander than Akershus. We preferred the food more at CRT, and had a better experience at CRT overall. The next trip we returned to CRT, and continue to eat there every trip even though DD is now an adult.

Rapunzal was at CRT in July. She even made a recording for DD’s best friend at home saying “Hi,”’to her.

Definitely try and get Bon Voyage brft at Trattoria for Rapunzel and Flynn. Good brft and interaction - very in character! If not available, try Touring Plans Reservation Finder as PP mentioned - just need to set up free account. You can put in requests for 2 reservations, and they will text you if one pops up, and you can go on to try and grab it. If you miss it, you just have to restart request. You can also check Feb. cancelled ADR thread here on Restaurants forum, where people will post if cancelling and you can PM(private message)them to try and grab it(you will need 10 posts to do this). You can set up to watch the thread to see when new cancellations come up. People often cancel the day or two before to avoid fee, so may have to keep checking even while there.

Between CRT and Akershus, castle is just magical to be inside and everyone should definitely try once I think, but depends on how you want to use credits. You will definitely see Cindy here since she is the photo at entry. The other one you may consider is 1900 Park Fair dinner at Grand Floridian which had Cindy, Prince Charming, and usually the stepmother and stepsisters who are hysterical (occasionally mice fill in which are also cool to meet). It is a buffet so lots of options, and can tie in to MK or Epcot day since off the monorail, or do on non park day as well. Good luck!

A friend told me she thought the character interaction was better at Akershus but the food was better at CRT (her opinion of course, everyone has a different one!), and the online reviews indicate Rapunzel occasionally shows up at both but I know that's very unlikely so I'm not counting on it and am pretty sold on the Bon Voyage breakfast if I can get it (found one yesterday for 11:55 AM breakfast - I guess it makes sense the canceled reservations are more likely for awkward meal times but argh!) - we can also just pay oop for that one if we do CRT.

Tentatively our plan is to arrive around lunchtime on the 20th and do either Epcot or AK (looking like Epcot) and then do MK for our full day on the 21st, and if I get lucky I can get a Bon Voyage reservation for the morning of the 22nd before we have to drive home. So if we do a park breakfast it would likely be at MK, so CRT or Akershus would be lunch or dinner. This will be our 3rd family Disney trip and we're in FL a fair amount so luckily this doesn't need to be a be-all-do-all vacation, but based on feedback and internetting I'm thinking maybe I just plan to do CRT if I can get it and if not we do Akershus as a second choice?

1900 Park Fare is on my future list - right now my kids get scared by Daniel Tiger, and we can't even go to Hollywood Studios because of the Storm Troopers constant prevalence last time, so anything with villains is off the menu for now.

We did not enjoy our meal at Akershus - both the food and character interaction was sub-par. It was nice that it was only 1 credit on the dining plan. I would maybe do breakfast there again. We are doing CRT dinner this year and I am really excited. It's been probably a few years since we last ate there.

If you are doing the dining plan, Akershus gives you one of the best values for 1 credit, even for breakfast (and we really like breakfast - bonus is that you can get in line for Frozen Ever After before the park opens).

While it is clearly better value to do Akershus and Trattoria, I would highly recommend trying to get CRT. Having been to Akershus 4 times before finally getting CRT this last trip, I have to say CRT is magical! There is nothing like being in the castle, the princesses were amazing and the breakfast was more enjoyable in our opinion than Akershus ever was.
I highly recommend the touring plans reservation finder to get it. We were able to get a before park opening reservation for CRT and it was an amazing experience and a highlight for our DD.

We have always done the castle, but did Askershus when my daughter was around 8ish. While we enjoyed Askershus, she never asked to do it again. However, the castle has been a staple every year~ it is one of her very favorite things to do on our trips. The castle is just magical and the food was so much better! To us, and to my now 19 year old DD, nothing beats eating in THE castle with THE princesses. It is pure magic.

If Rapunzel is her favorite, I would do the Bon Voyage breakfast as well. Honestly it was one of the best character meals we've eaten at (we've eaten at a lot of them~ lol) The food was amazing and the character interaction was great! Plus we got to see the princes~ Eric and Flynn Ryder. It was a great experience and Rapenzel is a highlight there.

If not, be sure to catch Rapunzel in MK at the princess meet and greet.

We are doing CRT in March however, it is with my son and not daughter. My daughter, 13, has been a few times but does not like princesses. However, my son, 12, was so excited when he found out that I was able to get a reservation he started jumping up and down telling me thank you, thank you! It is a truly special place - something about being in the castle.

We have done Akershus, CRT and Trattoria.

If Rapunzel is #1, do Trattoria. It’s outstanding.

Between CRT and Akershus, we actually prefer Akershus! We love the breakfast there and more relaxed feel vs. CRT. The little princess parade at Akershus is cute.

On the other hand, I think CRT is so special because it’s in the castle - but truly, we actually like Akershus better.

If Rapunzel is #1, I think I would try and get Trattoria and then also do Akershus instead of just doing CRT. Just my opinion!

Also, I have had great luck with the free touring plans reservation finder. We book our latest visit well into the 180 day window and I was able to get Trattoria and Beaches & Cream that way. I have also gotten other in-demand ADRs that way. It just texts you when there is an opening and you can try to grab it.

We are doing a quick and kind-of last-minute trip in Feb and my 4 year old is currently obsessed with Rapunzel and Disney princesses in general but most especially Rapunzel. Of course there aren't any ADRs currently available (or when they are they are at terrible times for preschoolers like an 8:45 PM dinner seating) but I'm stalking them for cancellations. We do have the dining plan so if we do Akershus we could still do Trattoria Rapunzel breakfast with our credits versus spending two on CRT (assuming I could get it).

For those who have done both, would you pick Akershus or Cinderella's? For reference, Rapunzel is #1 and #2 is either Cindy or Belle depending on the day, neither my daughter nor my 6 year old son are very adventurous eaters but they are all-in for character interactions.
I did both and Akershus was more food and more time with the princesses. Trattoria for breakfast was amazing! You saw Rapunzel, Ariel and Prince Eric and Flynn Rider. Might have a hard time getting CRT but I was able to find Akershus the day before when people cancel so check every day. Good luck!

You should absolutely do Trattoria--it is a very fun breakfast.

We've eaten at both CRT and Akershus many many times, and will likely do both many more. You can't go wrong with either. We hands down prefer the food at Akershus (but then, we do like Norwegian food and love all the cold cuts and smoked fish at the buffet; whereas CRT tastes like mediocre event catering food to me), and hands down prefer the ambiance at CRT (the castle is so beautiful with big floor to ceiling windows, and the experience of walking up the circle stairs and having your family announced as Cinderella's guests is very "grand"). Obviously, Akershus is a MUCH better deal in terms of dollars and cents, whether as credits or out of pocket, and it is also an easier rezzie to find openings the night before for on the app because unlike CRT you don't have to prepay.

Akershus is very nice, has good food, is a very good use of a dining credit, and is of course one of the rare princess character meals available. No regrets on our visit there.

But CRT is an amazing, must-do-at-least-once in your lifetime experience. You're INSIDE Cinderella's Castle. The food was okay, but the ambiance is unmatched and the service we had from our waiter was by FAR the best, most personalized, amazing service we've ever had at any Disney restaurant anywhere.

Who knows how old your kids will be by the next time you have the chance to visit? My daughter was princess crazy at 6 and CRT was one of the highlights of her life. Within two years, she grew up and moved on to other interests. If you have the opportunity to do CRT now and haven't done it before, strike while the iron is hot.

I do love CRT....the inside of the castle is so cool and the food is good. But, we also really like Akershus. Id probably pick Trattoria al Forno with Rapunzel and then Akershus.

I guess you have to decide if being inside the big fancy castle for one meal is more important that being inside the smaller castle at Akershus and then also having guaranteed time with Rapunzel at Trattoria.

Also .... just fyi....I am pretty sure you have to pay for CRT in full when you book it even if you have the dining plan. I think they do a reimbursement/ credit and then use your dining plan credits on the day of the reservation. Maybe someone who knows for sure can confirm , but i just wanted to mention this.....

Also .... just fyi....I am pretty sure you have to pay for CRT in full when you book it even if you have the dining plan. I think they do a reimbursement/ credit and then use your dining plan credits on the day of the reservation. Maybe someone who knows for sure can confirm , but i just wanted to mention this.....

Thanks for the tip, I didn't realize that but I'll expect it now if I ever manage to get it. I did just an hour ago manage to scoop up a Bon Voyage res for late morning on the 22nd and the husband is on board for that so at least we've got one guaranteed Rapunzel in!

So far I'm not having luck with either Akershus or CRT but it seems like Akershus nearly always has some kind of availability the day before and our time is really flexible so I feel like I should be able to get that if I can't get CRT. (Or decide not to?) Maybe I'll let my son decide since so much of this little trip is sister-focused, and he does enjoy a princess too.

I do love CRT....the inside of the castle is so cool and the food is good. But, we also really like Akershus. Id probably pick Trattoria al Forno with Rapunzel and then Akershus.

I guess you have to decide if being inside the big fancy castle for one meal is more important that being inside the smaller castle at Akershus and then also having guaranteed time with Rapunzel at Trattoria.

If the dining plan is listed on your MDE account and you also make your ADRs under that MDE account, then it will give you the option for CRT (as well as any other pre-pay ADRs that accept credits like HDD and SOA) to use DDP credits to hold the reservation or to pre-pay with a card. If you pre-pay, you are charged immediately. If you elect to hold the reservation with dining credits, they won't be redeemed until you dine. You can of course choose to pre-pay and then later get refunded/have them use credits when you go, but your money would be tied up from when you make the ADR until a few days after you dine since it takes a few days for the refund to be processed. As long as you have the DDP connected in MDE though, you will have the option of using credits to reserve.

Strange analogy, so bear with me. I went to college at a school with an amazing Lacrosse team, and when my parents came to visit me on the first parents' weekend, they wanted to get a LAX hat for my younger brother. My mother was hemming and hawing in the store, trying to figure out which hat would be best. I replied, "Mom, he hasn't seen any of these. He doesn't know there are 6 choices. Get the cheapest." She did, and he was thrilled with it, wore it everywhere.

I see many people posting about how magical CRT is, and how their children continue to love it even into their teen years. Since you say you come to Florida fairly frequently, you can always save CRT on a future trip, knowing that it will be still be amazing when DD is a little older.

But you can't go backwards. Meeting Rapunzel will never be as magical for your DD as it is at this particular moment in time. And going to Akershus will be amazing for her, and unspoiled by comparisons to CRT.

Basically, if you do Bon Voyage/Akershus it will give your DD two amazing experiences, while still preserving the ability to "top" them on a future trip to CRT.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter