AKL 2BR Standard View Lockoff vs OKW 2BR

Karen87

Disney Dreamin'
My question: would you choose an AKL Standard view (Kidani) or OKW? Would request water view at OKW.

Originally planned for a Savanna View at AKL for my grandsons' first WDW trip (we were at Disneyland the day they closed for Covid). Unfortunately with the DVC 50% borrowing thing and only owning 160pts/year, we cannot get a Savanna view room, and I can't afford to rent points (because we're going on a cruise after - still paying that off).

Our group is Me, DH, DD32, DS27, 2 grandsons - 8 and almost 4 when we'll be there. We're going the last week of May 2022 for eight nights, so we can't book our 8th night until tomorrow.

I am really disappointed, and considered going up the chain to complain in my best Karen fashion (lol - I've never asked for the manager in my life). The boys would love AKL, but I don't want to look at a parking lot while I drink my morning coffee. I've never stayed at OKW - the grounds look nice, and I know the location is better than AKL, but again, we're not relying on busses for transportation (Hubs and I are driving the Honda Pilot from TX, kids are flying).

Any input / opinions would be great. Thanks!

I love Kidani, but only if I can get a savanna view. You’ll enjoy drinking your morning coffee far more on a balcony at OKW. That said, the swimming pools aren’t important to us, we fix breakfast in the villa, and the availability or lack thereof of QS isn’t important to us either.

Thanks! We eat breakfast in the room, and usually either lunch or dinner. I don't need to be near the QS at all. The boys will want to swim, but they'll be happy at any pool.

I’ve stayed in both Savanna view and standard. I prefer standard because of less points....we just took our coffee to the viewing decks. Savanna view was disappointing to me because there was really not much out there early in the morning. OKW is lovely too and tranquil. And parking is great...but no elevator. Weather wise...on a rainy day you have that really great community hall at Kidani. Transportation wise its a toss up. It’s not a big deal from either resort to drive to three of the parks. Under no circumstances would I ever drive to MK....would rather take the bus.
Easy trip to Disney Springs too from OKW via boat. I would also not drive there....it can get crazy.
Sounds like a really great trip you have planned and you can’t go wrong with either resort. You’ll be making great memories.

Also many have tried to get the 50% rule waived....it’s been a hard no! Once they make an exception it would be an avalanche of why not me? It’s been a real pain, really putting a crimp in some of my plans.

Thanks! I don't mind about the no elevator as long as it's only 2-3 floors up. Pretty sure the boys will be happy wherever we stay.

If I recall correctly, it’s only two floors, so not too bad except moving in and out days with luggage. Kids are usually easy to please! It really is great parking practically right at your door.

There is a possibility, via a non-guaranteed location request, of getting savanna view with a standard view room at AKV.

At Jambo, none of the standard view rooms have parking lot view; the actual standard view is either pool or savanna and more than half the standards at Jambo have savanna view. You cannot request savanna view but you can make a non-guaranteed request that could potentially get you savanna view -- ask for a room on the Kudo Trail side of the building; all standards on that side have Sunset savanna view.

At Kidani, most standards have front entrance, road, parking area, back of the bus stop, or pool area views, but it also has some standard rooms that have Pembe savanna view. To have the best chance of getting one of the those, request a room near the Pumbaa elevator. That elevator sits between two building units on the north side of Kidani (front entrance faces west) in which all the standard rooms directly overlook the Pembe savanna. Be aware however, that the walks from those rooms to lobby and bus stop are very long.

Last edited:
My 2 cents is AKL, You can see animals everywhere at AKL. Theming and pools are beautiful. I usually watch the flamingos and the animals that wander up behind them at the pool at Jambo.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter