AKL Dining Veterans

MJS

DIS Veteran
We have never been to the AKL, and look forward to dining there on our upcoming trip so we can see the resort. We are trying to decide if we should go to Boma for breakfast, or try Jiko or Boma for dinner? What is the resort like at night? Is it better to view in the daytime or at night?

Thanks!

We have spent our last two vacations at the AKL and truly love it! They have some of the most unique food offerings at WDW. We love the Boma and it is hard to choose between breakfast and dinner. I love breakfast because of the made to order omelets, great fresh pasteries (sticky buns, worth the trip alone), roasted pork loin, breakfast pizza and Bobotie (corn beef, eggs, cream and potatoes), fresh fruit, Frunch (house speciality) and pots of Kenya AA (no Nescafe, yea!). Dinners are also special fork-tender prime rib, salmon, BQ chicken, seafood curry, african breads with hummus, home-made soups (try the Chicken Pepper pot or Gingered Carrot), potatoes with Afritude, lots of salads and Zebra Domes.

I think the best time to visit the lodge is near dusk the animals are active, the evening lighting in lobby is spectacular and it is fun to listen to the storytelling at the Arusha rock fire pit.

I've done all three meals and stayed at AKL twice. Hands down, Jiko wins. We've had dinner at Boma three times and breakfast there four times. All were tasty, but my last dinner at Boma was less memorable. The food, which once seemed adventurous, now seems mundane. Jiko, on the other hand, offered a great variety of food albeit at a higher price. It really depends on what you are looking for, though. I wouldn't make a special trip over to AKL for breakfast as you can find most of the same foods anywhere at WDW. Boma is more fast-paced and noisy, but some meals are better that way. Jiko is quiet and calm. As you can see, it'll really depend on what kind of food and atmosphere you are in the mood for.

Enjoy your trip!

Erin :D

Thanks for the responses. I agree that Jiko for dinner is probably the best choice in terms of food. We were thinking about Boma if the best viewing time was the am.

What time is dusk in April? Can you see the animals from Jiko?

You can't see animals from either restaurant, actually. You would want to plan time either before or after your meal for animal viewing. There are public viewing spots all over the hotel, so you'll having no problem finding a place to look at the animals. April is warm, but not hot. The animals will be fairly active all day. Don't worry about at being there at dawn or dusk, exactly.

Erin :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter