AKL - Free Dining and my guys don't want to stay there.

southjerseymom

DIS Veteran
Yes. That's right. I have Free Dining with Savannah View and my guys do not want to stay there. Have a back up room only POR Royal Room ressie and they want to stay there. Help me convince them! Mostly, they hate that the buses as the only transportation option.

There are about 5 bus stops at POR. I have not stayed there, but the number of bus stops within the resort was off putting to me the one time I went through. I was at AKL in June for a week with a group of 7 and I did not find the buses to be too bad. Kidani is picked up before Jambo.

Yes. That's right. I have Free Dining with Savannah View and my guys do not want to stay there. Have a back up room only POR Royal Room ressie and they want to stay there. Help me convince them! Mostly, they hate that the buses as the only transportation option.

Who are your "guys?" If they are your kids--I'd pull rank as the parent and say "We are staying where I want because I'm paying."

All my guys love AKL, DH & DSs 5&11. When asked where to stay for our next trip, the first choice for all of them was AKL. We have stayed at quite a few including Poly & Contemp but their hearts are at AKL as is mine. Pull the parent card, they will love it.

Jambi and Kidani are my least favorite places to stay at wdw, and I hate the bus, by even I'm scratching my head st that objection!

There is no difference for the parks. And I disliked the bus from por almost as much as from akl-j/k. So...

Husband or kids? Ages?

My kids don't care where they stay. Thdy don't even know how many hotels there are. They thought it was cool to stay at a monorail resort or to walk to Epcot but after that it's off their radar. If I asked them the names of where we've stayed they probably won't know or it'll take a while for them to remember.

When did you book your package? I couldn't find any free dining promotions for AKL.

We've had 2 stays at AKL and visit every trip to eat at Boma and we have never had a problem with the buses. AKL is out away from everything, but it takes maybe 5 extra minutes to get around compared to other resorts. Since the buses only service AKL and Kidani, there's no sharing with any other resort(s). I couldn't force my family to stay at a resort they didn't want to stay at, but no resort is perfect as far as transportation. We haven't stayed at POR so I can't comment on the buses from experience, but you will still be taking buses to all the parks as the only other transportation option is the boat to DS.

Last edited:
say "just try it this one time" :) and then you can get another resort next time :)

I would say that AKL wins over POR all the time :) All those bus stops and the far walks are too much for me....and there are animals and great restaurants at AKL!

Who are your guys? Husband and children or just the children? Have they been there to form that opinion? Savannah view at AKL is amazing. Just sitting out at on the balcony watching whatever animal is around is great. The lobby is similar to WL, and there are lots of interesting display cases. I. Love the pool area. So pretty. Food options are wonderful, you have both AKL and Kidani.
Bus transportation- how many times are the guys going to use the boat to Disney Springs from POR? They have to use bus for 4 parks!!! At either resort.

I'd start showing them pics on Allears.net and some good uTube videos ::yes:: If all else fails, pull rank and tell them this is where you really want to stay! And next time they get their pick. But I bet once they get there they'll love AKL.

I do like POR very much, but a savannah AKL view tops everything. How many boys do you have? AKL has bunk bed rooms. And a balcony is always nice, gives you extra living room.

AKL is the superior resort irrespective of any transportation issues. Unless there is a financial problem there's really no discussion necessary. :)

I have exactly the same problem! My guys don't want to stay there either! We also have a Bounceback with free dining. I cannot switch to another deluxe resort, all the standard rooms are sold out already. I have been calling often to see if there's any cancelations, it is a year away. People do cancel or change dates.

I'd like to try AKL, as it's the only deluxe resort we have yet to stay at. I am using Touring Plans to help with a room location. We don't want to be too far down an endless hallway.

For transportation, we are very happy with Uber. We used them quite often this past August and were very pleased.

I will say while planning to stay at this resort, I am arranging more resort time into our schedule. I want to enjoy the pool, the animals and take it all in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter