AKL Jambo House vs. Boardwalk

ForeverJ

Earning My Ears
Hello!
Planning a January vacation with my DH and DS (6 months). We want to stay at a deluxe resort for 8 nights with a couple of rest days/no park days in between our stay. I’m torn between both resorts and need a little help. I feel that AKL has better dining options and scenery, but the transportation is lacking. Boardwalk has better transportation, but lacks the better dining options. We are currently comparing both studio villas.

My DH has never been to Disney before and we will be traveling with our 6mo son which will definitely make traveling a little more difficult. If you had to choose, which resort would you prefer and why? Is there one that offers bigger studios than the other? We are both foodies, but love convenience as well. The difference in price is only $160 so we’re not concerned about the price.

Are you thinking of renting a value studio at AKV or a standard studio at BWV? If so, change to a pool/garden studio at BWV or a standard, or savannah view at AKV. Hard to get studios that cost less points are booked at 11 months by dvc owners.

Of those 2, I would pick BWV. Just for the ease of transportation. And the ability to ride the skyliner.

Currently, there is no opening date for Animal Kingdom Lodge, only Animal Kingdom Villas is open.

We are DVC members at both and stay at both every year.

Currently, most things are closed at Jambo House and it seems a bit like a ghost town. At the moment, the food court is open for breakfast and dinner only. The store is closed.

At the moment, the main pool at Jambo House is pretty empty right now, so it’s easy to get a chair.

The Boardwalk is coming back to life, with the Boardwalk Inn opening soon. The Boardwalk Ice Cream just opened, Trattoria is open, Big River Grille is open, and the Boardwalk Bakery is open. The store is open.

The Boardwalk puts you within walking distance of two theme parks.

Animal Kingdom Lodge has giraffes! My spouse loves the giraffes! 🦒

If you are looking for better dining options, I would go with BWV. Keep in mind, you can walk to EP, DHS, BC/YC and Swan/Dolphin from BWV, so you can easily dine at all of those locations without taking any form of transportation (you can certainly boat or Skyliner to DHS if the walk seems too long). Especially with a baby, being able to put the baby in a stroller and simply walk to any of these destinations will make your stay so much more convenient. When DS was younger we loved staying at the EP resorts and simply stroll on the Boardwalk or into EP WS in the evenings. I, personally, would not want to be stuck at AKV for 8 nights with an infant and only the dining options that resort has to offer.

I would choose BWV too for ease of transportation. Also, there are many food options in walking distance, not just on the Boardwalk but also at the Swan, Dolphin, Yacht Club and Beach Club. Currently Boma and Jiko in Jambo are closed, and I'm not aware that they have an opening date. Only Mara is open in Jambo; Sanaa in Kidani is the only TS open at AKL right now. Obviously, many things can change by January!

Are you thinking of renting a value studio at AKV or a standard studio at BWV? If so, change to a pool/garden studio at BWV or a standard, or savannah view at AKV. Hard to get studios that cost less points are booked at 11 months by dvc owners.

Of those 2, I would pick BWV. Just for the ease of transportation. And the ability to ride the skyliner.
It would be a savannah view for AKL and a garden/pool view for BWV

Just want to reassure you that the Boardwalk does not lack for good dining options. With all the places within walking distance at BW, Y/B, and Swolphin plus Epcot, there are a lot more practical choices there than AKL. I adore AKL for other reasons, but consider the Epcot area resorts to be the epicenter of good eating (and drinking, lol)!

Thanks everyone! I was already leaning toward BWV and this pretty much confirms that it’s a better option. I didn’t consider Swan/Dolphin for good options so that swayed me as well! Being able to keep the baby in the stroller and walk to a lot of places is definitely more convenient.

It would be a savannah view for AKL and a garden/pool view for BWV
Savannah view at AKL is a very special experience, much more so than a Boardwalk studio. If you stay at AKL, you'll also have access to two feature pools, the one at Jambo and the one at Kidani. And yes, being able to get a good meal without having to walk out into the rain is a major bonus in a resort, as well.

Savannah view at AKL is a very special experience, much more so than a Boardwalk studio. If you stay at AKL, you'll also have access to two feature pools, the one at Jambo and the one at Kidani. And yes, being able to get a good meal without having to walk out into the rain is a major bonus in a resort, as well.
This is true and why I considered AKL. I’ve stayed there before and the savannah view was truly magical. I also enjoyed the quicker access to food, however the bus rides to the parks were so long. I doubt we’ll use the pool in January, as I’ve been many times in Jan. and it was always too cold. My DH who has never been would probably enjoy convenience to parks/more dining options over the view. I also think with our resort days, boardwalk may be more fun to explore the surrounding resorts without being too far from our room.

This is true and why I considered AKL. I’ve stayed there before and the savannah view was truly magical. I also enjoyed the quicker access to food, however the bus rides to the parks were so long. I doubt we’ll use the pool in January, as I’ve been many times in Jan. and it was always too cold. My DH who has never been would probably enjoy convenience to parks/more dining options over the view. I also think with our resort days, boardwalk may be more fun to explore the surrounding resorts without being too far from our room.
Have fun at the Boardwalk!

I think the studios at BWV are larger than AKL. I think BWV and Beach Club have some of the largest studios on property. We haven't stayed in a studio at AKL but have at BWV. Loved it and bought DVC resale on the way home. We love AKL too, but with an infant, I think BWV is more convenient.

I have stayed at studio Villas at both Boardwalk and AKL. AKL are definitely smaller and seem darker. BWV are bigger and brighter. However, I always would go with AKL given the following conditions...I can have a savannah view and all food options are available (BOMA and JIKO currently closed). I've also never had issues with the transportation there...buses were always fine for me. All that said, BW, both Inn and villas, is also one of my favorites ...it is definitely always my choice when in EP area. There is no doubt if you like spending time at EP for one of the many, many festivals (and face it, when is there not one really these days😃) or seeing all that's new at HS these days, you can't beat the convenience of a BW stay and being able to walk to 2 parks. Don't forget to get those park reservations!

Overall, if restaurants all open at AKL and you can get a Savannah view in January, then I'd stay there. Otherwise, stay BW. Either way, u really can't go wrong, REALLY!

I think the studios at BWV are larger than AKL. I think BWV and Beach Club have some of the largest studios on property. We haven't stayed in a studio at AKL but have at BWV. Loved it and bought DVC resale on the way home. We love AKL too, but with an infant, I think BWV is more convenient.
I have stayed at studio Villas at both Boardwalk and AKL. AKL are definitely smaller and seem darker. BWV are bigger and brighter. However, I always would go with AKL given the following conditions...I can have a savannah view and all food options are available (BOMA and JIKO currently closed). I've also never had issues with the transportation there...buses were always fine for me. All that said, BW, both Inn and villas, is also one of my favorites ...it is definitely always my choice when in EP area. There is no doubt if you like spending time at EP for one of the many, many festivals (and face it, when is there not one really these days😃) or seeing all that's new at HS these days, you can't beat the convenience of a BW stay and being able to walk to 2 parks. Don't forget to get those park reservations!

Overall, if restaurants all open at AKL and you can get a Savannah view in January, then I'd stay there. Otherwise, stay BW. Either way, u really can't go wrong, REALLY!
BWV studios are 359 sq. ft.
AKV studios are 366 sq. ft. (Kidani) 365 sq. ft. (Jambo non value)
Of the two I prefer AKV, but in OP’s situation w/ a baby & assuming they can hop into Epcot for food options, BWV is probably a better choice. Save AKV for when DS is older & can appreciate the animals & enjoy the water play area at Kidani :)

BWV studios are 359 sq. ft.
AKV studios are 366 sq. ft. (Kidani) 365 sq. ft. (Jambo non value)
Of the two I prefer AKV, but in OP’s situation w/ a baby & assuming they can hop into Epcot for food options, BWV is probably a better choice. Save AKV for when DS is older & can appreciate the animals & enjoy the water play area at Kidani :)

Something I had seen before said BWV was bigger. Looks like they are pretty close though.

Polynesian has studios at 477 sq feet. OKW has studios at 390 sq ft. Both of these are larger than BWV and BWV (also SSR and BRV which have about the same layout and size as BWV and BCV).

With a baby, I would choose the Boardwalk, because it reduces the necessity of transferring the child to and from the stroller.

Something I had seen before said BWV was bigger. Looks like they are pretty close though.
We own at both :), i do agree the rooms at AKVJ seem smaller at first glance. I assume it’s due to the dark wood in the units. There though, we spend far more time on our balcony enjoying viewing the animals

The boat to MGM can take as long, if not longer than bus from AK. Typically, though we do drive to the parks, might just be our luck of the draw to have good bus service there as so many complain service is sketchy at both AKs

OP, I’m guessing the TS dining options will open by fall at AK, as they are so popular, including with so many non-guests of that resort.

Now that the BW pool has been, um updated (groan), the Jambo pool gets the nod from me. Kidani has nice children’s water area & lots of shade but, that resort is a definite 2nd choice for us when staying at AK.

Enjoy, both are lovely resorts.

We own at both :), i do agree the rooms at AKVJ seem smaller at first glance. I assume it’s due to the dark wood in the units. There though, we spend far more time on our balcony enjoying viewing the animals

The boat to MGM can take as long, if not longer than bus from AK. Typically, though we do drive to the parks, might just be our luck of the draw to have good bus service there as so many complain service is sketchy at both AKs

OP, I’m guessing the TS dining options will open by fall at AK, as they are so popular, including with so many non-guests of that resort.

Now that the BW pool has been, um updated (groan), the Jambo pool gets the nod from me. Kidani has nice children’s water area & lots of shade but, that resort is a definite 2nd choice for us when staying at AK.

Enjoy, both are lovely resorts.

That boat is so slow and hot and stuffy. We usually walk from BWV to DHS. We drive to the other parks. We have only done the bus once from AKL and that was to/from MK. It wasn't bad. Really bummed they killed off Pennywise; poor clown :sad:

Boardwalk without a doubt !! Having to stay at AK on an upcoming trip - BW full, not excited about it - transportation is great and the International Gateway, Y&B a short walk, so much to love at our home resort!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter