AKL - Killimanjaro Club Concierge

I❤MICKEY

DIS Veteran
We have been told by a friend that for the additional points we should consider Killimanjaro Club Concierge. They said that all day long you have complimentary drinks (soda, juice, beer and wine) and snacks (light appetizers). Is this accurate? Is it all day?

Any other benefits to these rooms?

Are all the concierge rooms savanna views? If not I don't think I would consider it.

There are snacks all day long. The beer and wine are usually from 6 to 8 and then cordials are served from 8 until 10. That is how I remember it from 2009...

The rooms are also cleaned daily with turndown service. We had a room with a pool view. It was super close to the concierge lounge and elevators which was a bonus, because my boys were 4 and 6 at the time.

I❤MICKEY;47964491 said:
Are all the concierge rooms savanna views? If not I don't think I would consider it.

3 of the 5 concierge 2BR lock-offs are (obstructed) savanna view and 2 are pool view.

if view is a big consideration, i would skip club level - due to being on the 6th floor and the roof overhang obstructing the view...there are lots of cheaper savanna view rooms with better views. i would mostly look at booking club level if i wanted to book the sunrise safari tour.

3 of the 5 concierge 2BR lock-offs are (obstructed) savanna view and 2 are pool view.

if view is a big consideration, i would skip club level - due to being on the 6th floor and the roof overhang obstructing the view...there are lots of cheaper savanna view rooms with better views. i would mostly look at booking club level if i wanted to book the sunrise safari tour.

Super, thank you. The view is more important to us than beverages and snacks.

I❤MICKEY;47964793 said:
Super, thank you. The view is more important to us than beverages and snacks.

IMO the views from the CL rooms are the worse at AKV, that's why they were given to DVC. You can't request the pool or savanna view, you get what you get.

The pool view is actually a view of the 5th floor roof with a portion of the pool beyond. The savanna view in addition to the roof hanging down blocking part of your view, it's a dead end. The animals don't wander by they have to be attracted with food to come down to the dead end. The only animals they we have seen there are some birds and some type of water buffalo.

:earsboy: Bill

The DVC TR forum has a great recent report w/pics of food offerings. That OP vacationed in Nov/Dec 2012.

We enjoyed our Club Level stay at AKV. Our primary reason for booking it was so that we could book the Sunrise Safari and get the discounted rate on the Wanyama Safari.

The food offerings change throughout the day. There is a continental breakfast in the morning, cookies and lemonade in the afternoon, appetizers, cheese and wine in the early evening followed by dessert. If you aren't in the lounge at the time these things are served, you miss out because they don't provide an endless supply and when they're gone, they're gone.

AKV Club Level consists of five 2BR lockoffs for a maximum of ten rooms if every one of those was locked off and rented as five 1BRs and five studios. Every 2BR that is booked takes both a 1BR and a studio out of inventory. For much of the year Club Level is booked 11 months out so you have to have AKV points to have much of a chance of booking a Club Level room.

Regarding the Savannah View KCC Villas. The vantage point is higher but you do see the animals well. We saw lots of Giraffes, Zebras, Ostrich, others as well, right below the balcony. They do a good job of placing browse (food) for the animals in that area to draw them back there.

The Club food offerings were nice although not enough to make a meal of except for breakfast. The juices that they have all day are really goooood!

For us the best benefit was being able to book the Sunrise Safari. That was the highlight of our trip. Imagine the regular safari ride at the park, taking a hour + with unlimited stops for photos, with a naturalist on board. Plus a backstage bus tour, where you get to at least see the holding areas for the animals. Plus an incredible breakfast. It was fantastic, and the price wasn't bad either. Did I mention the breakfast being incredible? It was.

We enjoyed our Club Level stay at AKV. Our primary reason for booking it was so that we could book the Sunrise Safari and get the discounted rate on the Wanyama Safari.

Can you share what the discount was on the Wanyama Safari? I have been looking at this and we are booked on a club level 2br through DVC points

Thanks

Can you share what the discount was on the Wanyama Safari? I have been looking at this and we are booked on a club level 2br through DVC points

Thanks
I did this tour a few years ago and I'm sure the prices have changed since then. At that time there was one price for Concierge guests and a higher price for other AKL/AKV guests.

I hope someone who has done the Wanyama Safari recently will post the current price for you. If not, since you are staying club level, you can contact them directly by phone or email to get the current price.

When we did the Wanyama Safari in late March of 2012, (Staying in KCC) there was no discount mentioned. I booked through the Concierge phone desk. Maybe there was a higher price for non-concierge guests, if so, it was not mentioned to me, or found on these boards.

When we did the Wanyama Safari in late March of 2012, (Staying in KCC) there was no discount mentioned. I booked through the Concierge phone desk. Maybe there was a higher price for non-concierge guests, if so, it was not mentioned to me, or found on these boards.
We did the safari in 2008. I managed to find some old posts from 2007 stating the prices at the time. It was $160 for Concierge guests, $210 for other AKL/AKV guests. That was five years ago so I have no idea what the current price is or whether they still charge a higher price for non-Concierge guests. Back then the tour was only offered two days a week so a lot has changed.

ETA: I just found a post stating that they were lowering the price for non-Concierge guests as of Dec 1, 2009 so that everyone would pay the same price after that date.

For much of the year Club Level is booked 11 months out so you have to have AKV points to have much of a chance of booking a Club Level room.

This is actually my hesitation with buying DVC. We :love: AKL and love having CL. Do you usually have to book ASAP at 11 months to get CL? Would hate to buy in if it's hard to book.

This is actually my hesitation with buying DVC. We :love: AKL and love having CL. Do you usually have to book ASAP at 11 months to get CL? Would hate to buy in if it's hard to book.

Don't buy if CL is important, you will sometimes be disappointed.

So few rooms and so many owners and as they continue to sell AKV, the competition will get even worse.

:earsboy: Bill

GoGoBeans said:

I have only tried to get it once at 11 months on the day and it was booked. We went on a waiting list and are still on it. This is for the first week of December though.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

For most things you can easily book 11 months out and even beyond. AKV Concierge is different. There are only 5 2BR lock-offs (and thus a possible 10 rooms, 5 studios and 5 1BRs) and one those 2BRs is an HA room. Throughout the year you can have trouble getting concierge even if you do try to book exactly 11 months out. In fact, if your computer after hitting send for on-line booking, which opens at 8 a.m. eastern exactly 11 months from your date of arrival, communicates with the Disney server slower than others doing the same at exactly 8 a.m., you will often not get the reservation. Don't buy AKV on the expectation of getting concierge.

If you love the lounge and ability to book the Sunrise Safari, you wouldn't be disappointed if you got the AKV Concierge level villas. If you want a grand view of the savanna, prepare to be disappointed.

Some members "walk" their reservation to get hard to get stays. They start booking their stay a week or more out from when they want to actually stay. Then they call Member Services each day to drop the first and add the last until they have the nights they want.

Thanks for the replies. I needed the dose of reality. I don't think I have the muster to stalk 11 months out and fret my nerves. So easy to get swept up in the Disney fantasy. :cloud9:

I booked CL at the 11 month window. We are at CL right now for a 3 night stay. The sunrise safari this morning was really great. The food/alcohol is ok. The food offerings change every 3 hours or so, but you will still need to supplement the finger food with a real dinner. Alcohol is available all day, you just have to ask for it. As others have pointed out the views are not that great. Half of the balcony is blocked with an over hang. We are looking at the pool, with a savanna in the distance. We have seen some animals. Do not book for the view. I wanted to experience the CL once. We have done it, and most likely will not do it again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter