• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

!AKL! NEW Sunset Safari anybody try it!

Hi,

Please tell!!!!

Allison an associate

We're scheduled to do this next month............ I'm hoping that someone goes on it before we do!!!!!

Did this Monday night..it was wonderful!

Got to tour the AKL savannahs in their VIP vehicle.....the safari took roughly 1.5 hours...got lots of info about the animals on the savannahs and their care.

Mike, our driver, and Liesl, our guide, were fantastic!

After the safari (and getting chased by a few giraffes) we had an African sundowner where we got to snack a bit before moving on to our next stop.....a family style dinner at Jiko.

I've eaten at Jiko before and loved it, but this really took the cake. It was served family style so we got to try 4-5 appetizers, 3 entrees, and I gave up counting how many desserts :hyper: And the chef kept coming out explaining what everything was and after he saw we were stuffed silly from dessert, he brought out ANOTHER dessert for us to try. Plus, there was a wine pairing with each course...yum!

We got a personalized menu, and 2 photos (that were taken at the sundowner) and a conservation hero button. As an added bonus, Joe Rohde was at the table next to us (alas, didn't get to chat with him tho)

It was a fantastic experience!!!

Sounds awesome -- how active are the animals at Sundown (besides the giraffes)?

*very*

Keep in mind, the tour started at 4pm so it wasn't quite sunset yet.

We had a great time watching the tommys run all over the place....and the impala as well.

All of the animals were quite frisky...most kept their distance from the safari vehicle, but the giraffes had no such qualms LOL One literally got close enough that we could touch it, but they asked us not too..

I did the sunrise safari last year. Is the sunset safari open to concierge guests only?

yes, they offer it 3 times a week to concierge guests

Bumbles, was this the vehicle that was used for the safari: cick here for photo. I had taken a special safari in the Animal Kingdom Theme Park and was told that this was the only vehicle of its kind at WDW and the AKL was going to borrow it three times a week for the new Sunset Safari. Is this the vehicle that was used?

yup..that's the vehicle...when they said the top came off and we could stand up, I assume it rolled back or something...nope it goes up...very cool (and you're sheltered from the direct sun)

Rutt and Tuke..it's $150 pp and worth every penny....the dinner alone with the wine pairings was worth how much IMO

I was wondering if you got to tour all 3 sav. or just one!
you say about a african sundowner what is it?
THANKS for all the info!!!!

I was wondering what the inside of the VAN looks like, are you standing on the seats,do they fold up or what?

AND bumbles what is a African Sundowner some sort of snack?

Originally posted by kenman
I was wondering what the inside of the VAN looks like, are you standing on the seats,do they fold up or what?

AND bumbles what is a African Sundowner some sort of snack?

Kenman, you sit on the seat (the seats pull down) until the top gets raised, then you stand up (you don't have to stand up but the view is much better if you do). I described a little bit about the safari vehicle in my current thread here on the Dis: click here for my thread. Just look for the post on the first page entitled, "Anniversary Celebration, Part One" (note: I took a VIP Safari and not the Sunset Safari).

As to an African Sundowner, it is described as follows:
A sundowner consists of having a cocktail of your choice usually perched on a raised area (e.g., an escarpment, hill, rocky outcropping of rocks) as you marvel at the amazing African sunset. This is definitely an unforgettable experience!

The AKL decided to incorporate this African tradition and offers it at the end of the savannah portion of the Sunset Safari (that was what was told to me by a Cast Member). I hope someone who has taken the Sunset Safari can provide us pictures of their experience, including the traditional African Sundowner. ~Sigh~ I can't wait to see some photos. I bet the safari was wonderful.

do children go on these special safari's?? Is there an age requirement?? I'd like to plan one for next summer, and would like to know if my 7 yo would be welcome???

Buzz5985, people have posted that the minimum age for the Sunset Safari is 16 years. As to the Sunrise Safari, I don't believe there is an age requirement (my daughter was younger than what you have listed when she went on the Sunrise Safari).

I know that they schedule these on Sunday and Monday evenings. I think that the 3rd night is Thursday.

We'll be doing it one week from tomorrow!!!

Hope that this helps.......

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter