AKL or POFQ

MacKenzie Jordan

Earning My Ears
We are leaving the end of Oct, we originally booked POFQ, today i found an amazing pass holder deal for AKL, it will cost $150 more total to stay at AKL, so thats really a nonissue, which resort does every prefer? We have no kids, so it is just my husband and I, we are in our late 20s if that matters. We are renting a car and typically drive to the parks (my husband hates the buses). I am having a hard time deciding, French Quarter is on my bucket list, but AKL looks amazing. TIA

AKL is amazing. I would only pick it if I had time to enjoy the resort much to do.

Been to AKL and have always wanted to stay at POFQ, but I gotta vouch for how great AKL is. Especially if you are not rope drop people, AKL mornings are just amazing. Even if you do rope drop every morning, you'll still get a great experience. The food is great, the rooms are great, the resort theming is great. If you have a off day scheduled, this might be the best resort for that. That being said, transportation time is much better at POFQ. If you plan to spend a lot of time at EPCOT and DHS, then POFQ is right next door. AKL is only close to AK, long drive everywhere else. AK and even MK is a bit of a haul from POFQ. At that price point, I would take the AKL every time. But at standard pricing, I would go with POFQ.

AKL all day everyday for me. It’s really unlike any other resort that in itself makes it a must do. The place has a special atmosphere about it that I can’t describe. The rooms are lovely and themed appropriately and the view you get is second to none. The pool is brilliantly themed and a lovely area to chill out by, and oh my goodness the food...

The food options at AKL are excellent and I would say has some of the best dining spots on Property. Jiko being a personal favourite of mine.

POFQ in itself is an amazing moderate resort and also looks lovely but AKL will win hands down every day for me.

Enjoy your trip no matter what you do! :-)

Can you split your hotels? We have a 7 night trip and are doing 3 hotels - POFQ because we added a day, POP because of the price and so I could do n#3, AKL because I love the hotel. Transferring is easy and no big deal for us

Stayed at both - AKL once with Savannah view and POFQ twice. Both are lovely.

POFQ pros - closer to parks (apart from AK); small resort so very little distance to everything (buses and food court); only one bus stop; location on the water; short walk to POR with shared facilities; boat ride to DS.
POFQ cons - rooms are all on outside corridors; not so luxurious.
AKL pros - ambience (deluxe resort with enhanced facilities); choice of food; animals; indoor corridors; larger rooms.
AKL cons - distance from parks; shared bus stop with Kidani Village; large hotel with possibly very long walks along corridors to rooms.

If there was a big difference in price I would choose POFQ and save the $s for spending but if there's not much to choose I could well go for AKL because of the ambience of the hotel. DS and his wife always stay at AKL (more your age than DH and I :)). It's their favourite.

You'll have a lovely time I"m sure regardless of where you decide to stay.

Mrs TT

Easy decision, stay at AKL!
It is a Deluxe resort with: balcony, great dining (TS and QS), beautiful theme, live animals, beautiful pool and awesome CM's! POFQ is small, one bus stop, boat to DS and a 'kiddie' themed pool. There is only a food court at POFQ.

It would always be AKL for me hands down. It is beautiful and relaxing!!

I tried POFQ last fall figuring I should give it a chance, but it did nothing for me. I am an odd duck who does not see the appeal and “romance” of New Orleans, so the themeing was totally lost on me.

AKL on the other hand is breathtaking and beautiful IMO.

We have stayed both multiple times, without question we would choose AKL. Great food, great atmosphere, amazing people. There is just something special about it.

Last edited:
AKL!! We used to stay regularly at POFQ. Then we went to AKL. It was so special we bought DVC there.

HANDS DOWN AKL! It is about as unique as it gets to have animals right outside. It has excellent dining options, beautiful pool area, gorgeous hotel that we enjoy just wandering and looking at all the art. We enjoy talking to all the CMs as there are many from all over Africa. Grab a drink pull up to a fireplace or a porch watching the animals.

POFQ is ...... the lowest level moderate, more in line with value resort so no comparing them.

HANDS DOWN AKL! It is about as unique as it gets to have animals right outside. It has excellent dining options, beautiful pool area, gorgeous hotel that we enjoy just wandering and looking at all the art. We enjoy talking to all the CMs as there are many from all over Africa. Grab a drink pull up to a fireplace or a porch watching the animals.

POFQ is ...... the lowest level moderate, more in line with value resort so no comparing them.
I agree with you about AKL. i don 't think there really is any comparison between the 2, but we have really enjoyed POFQ when it suited our needs. I think it's small size elevates it a bit for me. No long hikes to and from anywhere.

French Quarter is my favorite moderate but I would take Animal Kingdom Lodge hands down. We stayed there last June in a standard room. Well what was standard to AKL was a savanna view only we were above one of the people pens. What completely sold us on the place thou was during a light rain we got to sit on our balcony and watch a young giraffe playing tag with its mother. Made the whole stay totally worth it.

Another vote for AKL.

I know you said you are driving, but for trips to AK from AKL, the bus might be faster. Just something to keep in mind. :)

Have a great trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter