AKL vs SS for Adults

ApolloFX

Earning My Ears
Assuming price is the same or very similar would you recommend SS or AKL Standard View for an adults only trip? I am concerned SS might be a little too much like an average hotel.

AKL for sure, especially since I'll be there in 4 days! Actually in general when it comes to Disney resorts, the only ones I've avoided after all these years going to WDW either solo or with other adults is the Contemporary and the Beach Club. I've never stayed at Value, but all the Moderates have been fine. I would say that adults only would especially enjoy Coronado Springs if staying moderate. When traveling, I normally avoid school vacation times. I'm sure you'll have a great time at either AKL or SSR...a plus of SSR is the proximity to DS.

I own at both so have stayed often at each.

While AKL has wonderful ambiance, views and restaurants, it is isolated.

SS recently finished a complete refurb so rooms are excellent. It has a relaxed upscale vibe I love and while a distance from the parks has easy walking access to Disney Springs… with everything and more than any single resort could provide.

I got lots of love for AKL and will actually be there in a couple of weeks but for adults only my choice would definitely be SS.

SSR is very, very spread out, and this could be a long walk to the bus and there are multiple stops. Lots of threads about the SSR buses. If you are driving, that doesn't matter.

The animals go to bed early, so if you're park warrioring, the animals might not even matter, because you never get to see them. If you have no time to see the animals, the AKL isn't too far off a normal hotel either. The furniture is dark and the decor is cute I guess, which is different.

SSR is newly renovated, and AK is showing some wear (assuming you are booking AK DVC inventory).

I've never stayed at SSR, but I assume the food choices are better than AKL, which are very limited and expensive. But you can get a zebra dome in the AKL gift shop, so that's cool. Also, SSR is near Jaleo, so there's that.

At either resort, you need to take the bus to all of the parks. However, at SSR you take a long "tour" through the resort itself, stopping at about 5 different stops. AKL does share with AKV, so you make 2 close by stops. You probably won't see animals from your room at AKL, but there are so many places where you can sit and enjoy watching the animals. And IMO, AKL has much better food, even at their QS, Mara.

At either resort, you need to take the bus to all of the parks. However, at SSR you take a long "tour" through the resort itself, stopping at about 5 different stops. AKL does share with AKV, so you make 2 close by stops. You probably won't see animals from your room at AKL, but there are so many places where you can sit and enjoy watching the animals. And IMO, AKL has much better food, even at their QS, Mara.
No question, we agree with the comment about the food options at AKL - best resort dining on property - in our opinion! That being said, many options are potentially within walking distance from SSR over at Disney Springs. I say 'potential walking distance', because depending where your room is, it can be a decent walk.

For us, AKL is a given - very relaxing and peaceful feeling - but it's not for everyone. If you plan on doing the parks a lot, the overall distances on the bus to the parks isn't much different from AKL and from SSR. Both have nice pool options. Both will have nice rooms. Good luck with your decision and have a great trip!

I don't think SS is like an average hotel at all! We love it there, especially with the refurbed rooms. I also love AKL simply because I love animals! But, for an adults only trip, I would definitely choose SS. Its proximity to DS and all the restaurants, shopping, etc.. make it a great place for adults. But if you're planning on spending all of your days in the parks, it's honestly a toss up for me!

AKL has always been a hit with adults and children as there is a lot to see...... If you are one to sit and watch animals also has a nice bar and lounge. Standard view always has a chance of a view of the parking lot but mnay areas in the resort to see the animals. SSR is great for its location to DS also a well laid out resort as there are always pools and food close. As far as transportation SSR in fact will have a less of a walk to a bus and is very convenient when you look at the bus schedules you will also be able to have less of a walk form at least 2 bus stops then you will in most other resorts. Just can't beat starting your morning walking to Artist's Palette getting coffee and something to eat knowing there is bus stop a few hundred feet away as opposed to AKL and others where you need to wlak to the other side of the resort. AKL your walk will be further. Our experience staying at SSR it was by far the resort we did the least walking to get to a pool or the bus. SSR is very nice to walk around as well. As far as transportation I just have never stayed at any resort that gets you to all parks fast.... from 30 years of experience and many resorts there is always the long ride to....... If you are looking for Food SSR is the way to go.. If you are looking to spend a lot of time at a resort and maybe leaving for Dinner or Lunch AKL get my vote.

To clarify my comments on the food, I am an adventurous eater with a city where I can eat anything, and don't find Boma all that special. Sure, it's fun for a few days. The bread service mobile order is fun, but it's expensive and Disney Springs is way, way more options.

If I were going to enjoy my resort and dining there I would choose AKL.

If I were going to be spending time and dining at DS I would choose SS.

Me would choose AKL, it's just unique and special.

You can't go wrong with either. SSR is beautiful with the refurb. It has a great romantic feel...DH and I love strolling over to Disney Springs or just around the grounds. You have SOOOOOOO many food options right there at DS.

AKL is unique and kind of dark and mysterious...you feel like you aren't in Florida! The food there is great too.

I'm no help. We love both.

The only reason I would pick SSR is if you want newer rooms or will be going to DS a lot, else AKL hands down. We find the theme at SSR is nothing really special, where as AKL is totally unique, JMO.

Assuming price is the same or very similar would you recommend SS or AKL Standard View for an adults only trip? I am concerned SS might be a little too much like an average hotel.
I would go with Saratoga. I just stayed there last weekend with my husband. We haven't been there in about 8 years with kids. We walked to Disney Springs and got to sit outside, have drinks and listen to live music. Another night we ate outdoors at Paddlefish on the water. There are many more adult things to do in Disney Springs

My vote is SSR, they have a great TS restaurant - Turf Club. You can walk to DD. I wouldn't stay at AKL unless it was a Savannah room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter