Kelwel

Earning My Ears
First off, why does there need to be so many resorts making the decision super difficult? I am traveling with my DS 8 yrs old to Disney world for the first time at the end of May. He is a thrill seeker and when we go to Disneyland we are at the parks from rope drop to close. It is easy there to do that since the resorts are nothing special and the parks are across from each other.
We will be at WDW for 7 nights and 7 days (get in late on arrival so I am not counting on anything that day but also leave late the last day). I want this trip to be more relaxing, meaning I want to also enjoy the attractions at the parks (kiddos, wilderness explorers, meet and greets) along with all the rides.
My dilemma is if AKL (standard view) is worth the extra $700 I would spend at my second choice POFQ? AKL is my dream resort and I love animals. My son likes them but again loves rides and the pool more.

I am not sure what to expect at the parks. Is each park an open to close park filled with activities for a first timer while using genie+ and lightning lanes? I don’t plan to get park hopper. Or will we be done early to enjoy the resort? Or do we stay at cheaper POFQ and use those evenings we might get done early to explore other things like the boardwalk, mini golf, etc.? length of transportation and hallways at AKL makes me hesitant. The EEH for Epcot and MK are a tempting perk of AKL. Or the money saved by staying at POFQ could be used towards after hours at HS. Too many choices!
I have read and watched so many videos. My son doesn’t have much of an opinion. He just wants a pool with a slide and to be happy. Nice but also not helpful. Any help would be appreciated.
Also split stay is not a great option considering the stay longer promotion which allows the cheaper rates (I looked and it was only $100 cheaper for the split stay).

You will get loads of different opinions, but I will give you mine.
Save the money. I love AKL,,but POR is nice for 2 people as well. I would suggest one of the days that your at AK, book dinner at Boma at AKL. Go early walk around, you can see lots of animals from there as well.
700 can get loads of extras and pay for LL if needed. POR has a fun pool, great quick service and boat to Disney Springs which is nice compared to busses.
Enjoy.

If you are going to be in the parks from opening to close and aren't getting a savannah view room, I don't see spending an extra $700 to be worth it, quite honestly. POFQ is fabulous - smaller resort with great amenities and great bus service. I agree with PP, if AKL is something you are interested in, book a dinner there and walk out to the animal viewing area.

Edited to add: there are so many resorts because so many people travel to WDW. Disney would much rather they stay onsite than be forced to find off-property resorts to stay in. More resorts, more guests, more $$. If there weren't as many resorts, onsite availability would be even scarcer and more expensive.

If you are going to be in the parks from opening to close and aren't getting a savannah view room, I don't see spending an extra $700 to be worth it, quite honestly. POFQ is fabulous - smaller resort with great amenities and great bus service. I agree with PP, if AKL is something you are interested in, book a dinner there and walk out to the animal viewing area.
I agree with both, too. If you aren't getting a savannah room, I would not spend an extra $700. You could get a partial savannah room, but it's not as likely as roof or parking lot view. Use the money for other things at Disney - a nice meal at AKL or even water park tickets.

While I agree with the previous posters.. one thing to think of is that with AKL, you will be getting the deluxe after hours at MK & Epcot. That along with the little extras you get in the deluxe hotels make it worth the upgrade for us. We have stayed at AKL & we didn't have a savannah view. We had 2 pool view rooms.

While I agree with the previous posters.. one thing to think of is that with AKL, you will be getting the deluxe after hours at MK & Epcot. That along with the little extras you get in the deluxe hotels make it worth the upgrade for us. We have stayed at AKL & we didn't have a savannah view. We had 2 pool view rooms.
Thanks. The deluxe amenities seem like it might be worth it plus all the activities at the resort. I hope to take advantage of those things for my DS but I just don’t know what WDW is like for us. Plus it would just make me happy to walk by it every day. Glad to have a non-Savannah room opinion.

Thanks. The deluxe amenities seem like it might be worth it plus all the activities at the resort. I hope to take advantage of those things for my DS but I just don’t know what WDW is like for us. Plus it would just make me happy to walk by it every day. Glad to have a non-Savannah room opinion.
We took our daughter & son in law during this stay. I wanted both of us to have our own space. We simply couldn't afford 2 savannah view rooms so I opted for the pool view. We were on the 4th floor and we were able to see some of the animals as we walked to our room from the lobby. There were so many places to view the animals too. Yes, I would have preferred a savannah room but we made do. And the deluxe after hours were wonderful! It was far less crowded & we were able to walk on to almost anything.

I think you can't go wrong with either resort! But I've learned if you can make it work without putting yourself in a bind, just go with your gut! Otherwise, you're going to keep switching it up. I have done that soooo many times, lol.

Edited to add: there are so many resorts because so many people travel to WDW. Disney would much rather they stay onsite than be forced to find off-property resorts to stay in. More resorts, more guests, more $$. If there weren't as many resorts, onsite availability would be even scarcer and more expensive.
Yes all about money. It is just so different from Disneyland where it doesn’t matter where you stay. I didn’t anticipate it would be so hard to decide! The three categories with general similarities in each category but also significant differences. Plus I guess I just expected more Disney theming in the resorts, mainly the rooms, to make the decision easier

Another vote for POFQ. While AKL is lovely, it's not 7 days worth of lovely. I agree with pp to visit AKL for a meal and explore the resort animal viewing areas and the lodge displays.

At POFQ, the bus service is great, resort is small, food is quite tasty and the boat to DS is quite enjoyable especially in the evenings to catch a bite or do some shopping. POFQ has a pool, waterplay area and playground all in the same area which is adjacent to the main dining. You also have access to the pools and dining at POR. There are lots of well manicured lawn areas for your DS to play and they have evening movies playing outside he might enjoy. You can enjoy the activities of both POFQ and POR.

I am also not convinced the EEH is worth it for 2 extra hours when you are already tired from a long day. I would use the extra money for dining, mini-golf, a waterpark, shopping, etc.

Yes all about money. It is just so different from Disneyland where it doesn’t matter where you stay. I didn’t anticipate it would be so hard to decide! The three categories with general similarities in each category but also significant differences. Plus I guess I just expected more Disney theming in the resorts, mainly the rooms, to make the decision easier
It is a hard decision! Maybe ask your son again, since it seems the trip is focused on him. If he hasn't seen videos of the two resorts, show him to see if it sways his or your opinion. Just make sure he understands he probably won't see animals from the balcony. There are benefits to both, the compactness of POFQ and it's theming, and it's more centrally located and has a boat to Disney Springs. AKL is deluxe and has the EEH benefits, though we have found the first hour isn't really helpful because there are still day guests in the lines. The second hour is better, and MK is the better of the two EEH. A lot of Epcot closes. If he's still ambiguous, I'd save the money and use it towards other things that may enhance your trip. Look into some of the backstage tours they have at DAK, or even the Savor the Savannah Package. Lots you can do with that $700. It will be a great trip either way!

AKL is without question our favorite resort anywhere, not just WDW. It's so unique, peaceful, and just an amazing resort with some of the best resort dining options on property. I recommend it all the time to people who ask. I think the conversation around long hallways and long bus rides can be a bit misleading. If you stay at Jambo house, the resort is a bit more compact than at Kidani (and since you don't mention DVC, you're probably talking Jambo). The bus ride to MK can be long. If you're planning more than one day at MK, it might be more of an issue. If you're doing all the parks, the overall bus rides are no better or worse than any other resort..... We had 2 boys who grew up on AKL stays, and the resort was an absolute favorite of theirs, waking up to the animals outside, the pool, and the activities.

All that being said, it doesn't sound like you would be utilizing the resort the same way we did (and still do, even though our boys are much older now!)! If you're going to be in the parks from morning until later in the evening, than I don't think I'd recommend spending the money. POFQ is a nice place, you can save the money, and spend it more on the parks and in the parks! Sounds like you'd have plenty of park time to not worry so much about the extra hours of the deluxe!

Great options, none bad! Hope you have a great time with your family!

I am not sure what to expect at the parks. Is each park an open to close park filled with activities for a first timer while using genie+ and lightning lanes? I don’t plan to get park hopper. Or will we be done early to enjoy the resort? Or do we stay at cheaper POFQ and use those evenings we might get done early to explore other things like the boardwalk, mini golf, etc.?
I just wanted to touch on this part of your question. In 7 days, you won't get to experience absolutely everything at the parks even with genie+ and lightening lanes. I would not count on being done early, but you may be tired and want to relax. The parks also aren't open as late especially animal kindgom so on those nights if your kids are night owls you would have time at the resorts. But I wouldn't count on getting done early unless you don't want to do any shows or anything and are just looking to do the biggest thrill rides at each park. Even then it's a stretch.

I would split stay if I was in the position, but some people don't like that. 4 nights one, 3 nights the other. They are both beautiful but completely different resorts. I would also try to rent points from someone on the boards to be able to afford it easier. You would get a savannah view cheaper then normal room at Disney website. But watch out cause its not flexible. You need to really commit. The Disney stay longer is 30 percent off 5 days or more at the deluxe. 25 percent for 1-4 nights. PO is 25 percent 5 or more or 20 percent 1-4. So a split would be 25 percent off the deluxe and 20 percent off the PO. Not too bad. Not 30 percent but still ;]

Either way. If it's your dream, do it. You said it is your dream resort. I am a firm believer on trying something new that you really want. If it costs money, and you can afford it, I would say go for it. You never know if you will be in the position to do it again in the future.

Last edited:
$700 TOTAL extra for 7 nights for AKL over POFQ? I absolutely would be booking AKL, especially since POFQ is the value of moderates.

Stunning unique resort. Amazing lobby and lots of public areas to view animals, do activities or just put your feet up and enjoy. Lots of activities and your son is a perfect age for that hotel. Beautiful pool and excellent dining options with multiple table services. Deluxe extra park hours!!! a huge perk that I would use and take a mid day break for the pool. Not sure since COVID but so many of the CMs were from Africa and even the kids liked talking to them about their country. It's is a special hotel.

My kids loved AKL at your son's age and refused to stay at POFQ because the pool was for babies. I stayed there later and meh. We have booked AKL Standard and been upgraded to Savanna, which was awesome. We have booked Pool and felt that was not worth the price. I would book Standard again to save the money because there are so many spots to watch the animals. And if you are saying only $100 per night more, I think it's totally worth it unless you are literally just sleeping and showering at the hotel.

Last edited:
First off, why does there need to be so many resorts making the decision super difficult? I am traveling with my DS 8 yrs old to Disney world for the first time at the end of May. He is a thrill seeker and when we go to Disneyland we are at the parks from rope drop to close. It is easy there to do that since the resorts are nothing special and the parks are across from each other.
We will be at WDW for 7 nights and 7 days (get in late on arrival so I am not counting on anything that day but also leave late the last day). I want this trip to be more relaxing, meaning I want to also enjoy the attractions at the parks (kiddos, wilderness explorers, meet and greets) along with all the rides.
My dilemma is if AKL (standard view) is worth the extra $700 I would spend at my second choice POFQ? AKL is my dream resort and I love animals. My son likes them but again loves rides and the pool more.

I am not sure what to expect at the parks. Is each park an open to close park filled with activities for a first timer while using genie+ and lightning lanes? I don’t plan to get park hopper. Or will we be done early to enjoy the resort? Or do we stay at cheaper POFQ and use those evenings we might get done early to explore other things like the boardwalk, mini golf, etc.? length of transportation and hallways at AKL makes me hesitant. The EEH for Epcot and MK are a tempting perk of AKL. Or the money saved by staying at POFQ could be used towards after hours at HS. Too many choices!
I have read and watched so many videos. My son doesn’t have much of an opinion. He just wants a pool with a slide and to be happy. Nice but also not helpful. Any help would be appreciated.
Also split stay is not a great option considering the stay longer promotion which allows the cheaper rates (I looked and it was only $100 cheaper for the split stay).
I’ve only ever been able to afford a couple days as a split stay but AKL is by far my favorite.

Only you know what is “worth it” as far as budget goes. That being said, I would pick a Deluxe hotel over a moderate every time. I always tell people we let the kids choose what we do at the park but I choose the resort because that’s what my husband and I enjoy most. AKL is beautiful with great restaurants and two awesome pools.

My kids love AKL. We also enjoy having a balcony. The dining options are great (Boma, Sanaa). Sanaa has a quick service breakfast that is amazing. I have never stayed at POFQ.

We love POFQ and it’s a great resort choice if you’re going to be spending a lot of time at the parks. We love the size of the resort , it’s very quaint compared to other resorts.
The first day you could take the boat to DS.
AKL would be a good choice if you’re going to spend more time at the resort IMO.

They are both nice resorts and you would be happy at either. That said I’m a big fan of AKL and if it’s your dream resort go for it! I find myself needing a little more downtime at WDW than I do at Disneyland and it’s a beautiful and peaceful place for resort time. They also have a great pool.

We've stayed at every resort and they're all great. AKL is a favorite for sure, POFQ is our favorite moderate unless we are in the grand destino tower at CSR. So I don't think you can make a bad choice. I would also throw out there PoP. My DS LOVES the values, they are by far his favorite.

Just a couple of things maybe you haven't thought of. AKL is wonderful but it's remoteness is also its con. It's not convenient to get anywhere on property. So don't count on midday breaks and bus rides will be much longer than POFQ.

As far as the long hallways at AKL don't let that deter you. You can view animals the whole way so they don't seem that long. Also at AKL don't miss simbas cubhouse. My kids love it here. They have free and inexpensive crafts, games, movies, video games. There's always something going on.

Also it rains A LOT in FL. If you are coming during the summer it will pretty much rain everyday. It is rare that it will rain all day though, so just keep that in mind. Most buildings at POFQ you will need to walk uncovered areas to get to your room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter