AKLodge Concierge Tours

dclfun

DIS Veteran
Well, I called to try and book the new Wildlife Expedition Safari and after Juanita in the itinerary planning office did some further checking I will not be able to take this tour. She sent me an email saying that only a standard size manual wheelchair is allowed on this vehicle and since I have the vent on the back of mine and can't transfer from my power chair, they cannot accomodate me. Also there is a new evening tour involving the truck-type vehicle at the Lodge itself followed by a dinner at Jiko with wine-pairings, etc. I wasn't interested in this one however it also is NOT w/c accessible. I'm planning to cancel my reservation there and am very disappointed. I can understand not being able to do many of the "rides" at the parks, but I don't understand why a vehicle that accomodates people in power chairs can't be provided or wasn't thought of. Andrew...I know you were counting on doing these tours. At least I've done the Sunrise Safari in the past and know that one should work for you. The number to itinerary planning at AKLodge for concierge guests is 407-938-4755. Kathy

Kathy, I can certainly understand your disappointment. I am sorry that the AKL concierge tours tours cannot find a way to accommodate your chair.

I have done the Sunrise Safari on a previous trip, and hope to be doing it again next trip.

Although I ride a power wheelchair, it is no longer from rear anti-tip wheels to front of footplates than a manual and about six inches narrower, although considerably heavier. I will ask concierge at AKL as soon as they contact me. If push comes to shove, I can transfer to a manual provided they can loan me one without armrests so I can make a sliding transfer.

I wanted to do the Sunset as well, as much for the dinner as the safari. Maybe my wife can go alone, and I can join them afterwards for dinner.

Andrew

:sad2:
That is sad that they would not be able to make accomidation.
Maybe if more people who can't be accomidated the way things are request it, they will begin to see a need (not likley, but we can hope).

Andrew- My chair maneuvers really well and as I mentioned I had no trouble on the Sunrise Safari. I really don't understand why they don't have a lift vehicle and expect people with mobility challenges such as ours to be left out. I called their office directly since I wanted to book the tours asap as they don't hold alot of guests and was shocked to hear they had no accomodations for a power chair. I'm sure they'll assist you in whatever way possible though with the manual chair loan, etc. The dinner sounded wonderful- it's $150 a person. If you can only do the dinner and not the tour, perhaps they'll offer you a discount. Please let us know what was done to assist you and I hope you have a great time! Kathy

I have finally made contact with Animal Kingdom Concierge.

I have been told that Sunrise Safari is wheelchair accessible provided you can ride the regular Kilimanjaro Safari vehicles.

I have been told that the Wanyama Safari (formerly called Sunset Safari) is not normally accessible because it does not have a wheelchair lift, but that they will provide a special van for me.

She had no information on the Wildlife Discovery Excursion at Animal Kingdom so I am waiting until I check in, when I will ask again.

I will report back in due course, though this won't be until I get back home to my computer.

Andrew

That will be interesting to hear about. Hope it works out.

I attended the Animal Kingdom Theme Park's Wildlife Discovery Excursion tour during my August vacation. It was a very informative tour and I completely enjoyed it.

I took a few photos of the tour vehicle and placed them into an on-line photo album: click here. Hopefully the photos will give you a sense of the layout of the tour vehicle.

There was a wheelchair lift in the back of the vehicle and I do have one photo of it in my on-line album: click here (you can catch glimpses of the lift in another photo or two). The lift was not used during our tour since the three people who were using motorized scooters were able to board the vehicle on their own.

Thanks for the pictures Janet. (nice to see you around here sometimes.) :flower:

I wish I’d had the presence of mind to put a person in front of the wheelchair ramp when I took a photo of it. That way you folks could get a better idea as to its size. Of course, a measuring tape would have come in very handy that day (I could have given you folks the dimensions of the wheelchair ramp).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter