AKV-between the 2 buildings

vbalacek

Mouseketeer
Has anyone heard whether there will be any type of shuttle bus or easy walking path between the Villas and the AK Lodge itself? Or whether when making reservations (once all construction is done) you can reserve the main lodge?

I am trying to convince DH for an add-on, but he is concerned the new building seems more like a stand alone DVC that an attached DVC (we own at VWL, where we can easily walk over and enjoy WL). He loves the restaurants and facilities at AK Lodge and would be more susceptible to my push for an add-on if he knew we could take advantage of those amenities easily (as we always travel with the 3 DK, nothing is too easy, but one can wish....):wizard:

Thanks.

There will be no shuttle. There will be a sidewalk from one to the other, front door to front door will be a little less than 1/2 mile (e.g., a little less than the distance from Boardwalk to Epcot). So whether you can "easily walk" over depends on what you think about that distance. After both buildings are done, you will lock in particular building (Jambo or Kidani) that you want at time of reservation. Kidani will have its own check-in, valet, bus stop, restaurant, store, pool, etc., but guests at each can use things at either building.

Will it be one bus stop or two? If it is two you could grab a bus at least one way.

Has anyone heard whether there will be any type of shuttle bus or easy walking path between the Villas and the AK Lodge itself? Or whether when making reservations (once all construction is done) you can reserve the main lodge?

Yes, you will be able to reserve a room in the main lodge. 1/3 of the DVC rooms will be in the current building (now called Jambo House), with the other 2/3 being in the new Kidani Village facility.

Just be careful in reading too much into specific floorplans and amenities you see on DVC's website. Since they are converting existing rooms at the lodge, they are somewhat limited in how the finished product will look. ALL of the concept art, floorplans and model room photos that DVC has published are for the new building. The converted rooms will have different floorplans (i.e. the one bedroom units at Jambo House will only have one bathroom) and probably won't seem quite as cohesive as other DVC units. If you're not too concerned about the exact makeup of the rooms and just want to be near the restaurants and such, it probably won't be an issue.

If you're staying in Kidani Village, walking distance will vary a lot depending upon your room location. As stated, it's about .5 mile door-to-door, but given the enormity of the savannah and its location right between the buildings, there will be no shortcuts. Guests staying at the far ends of the Kidani Village facility will have to walk about .20 - .25 mile just to reach the lobby, and then the additional .5 mi to Jambo House.

According to the member site there will be a 2500 ft walking path between the front door of Kidani Village and the front door of Jambo House.

My only concern is that there is nothing mentioned about any type of quick service food setup at Kidani. Would we have to walk from Kidani to Jambo House for a quick snack at The Mara? Hopefully, they will set something up in Johari Treasures (Kidani Shop) similar to the shop in the Beach Club Villas where you can get pastry, ice cream, and other quick service items.

Will there be a point difference between the buildings?

No. At least, I don't think so. An ownership points chart is an owership points chart. I don't think building a new structure, since it's still part of the same ownership, would allow them to make adjustments to the point chart strictly for that structure.

No. At least, I don't think so. An ownership points chart is an owership points chart. I don't think building a new structure, since it's still part of the same ownership, would allow them to make adjustments to the point chart strictly for that structure.

Until a unit is sold, there is no legal reason to keep DVD from changing the point charts for that particular unit.

I think the odds of a change are slim since DVD knew about the differences in the facilities from the start. But stranger things have happened.

Point chart that exists now will be the one applicable to both buildings. The difference is that there will be no "Concierge" or "Value" (smaller) rooms in Kidani. In fact, 75% to 80% of all rooms, once both buildings are done, will be Savannah point cost rooms. There will be the existing AKL bus stop and a new one at Kidani. (Note, we just bought and actually asked most of the questions in this thread; the one I missed asking was whether there will be some quick order food and drink place in Kidani)

Thanks so much for the info. I'm glad you have the option of lock-in in your building preference. By any chance, did they say what the new restaurant at Kidani would be like?

Thanks so much for the info. I'm glad you have the option of lock-in in your building preference. By any chance, did they say what the new restaurant at Kidani would be like?

From the dvcmember site:

Sanaa
Indulge your senses! Sanaa, meaning "work of art," defines the atmosphere and the cuisine at this restaurant — with beautifully prepared food and an atmosphere simmering with style. Wait for your table in the comfortable 24-seat lounge that is adjacent to the spacious dining room. Savor breakfast and dinner here, and take a taste of art.

We asked our guide, and he said family casual sit down (TS) restaurant with a HUGE glass window looking out over the savannah.

Point chart that exists now will be the one applicable to both buildings.

I'm sure that is DVC's intent at present time, but as I said, there are no legal roadblocks which would prevent them from re-classifying unsold units. I've been told there was some internal discussion of creating a separate point class at SSR for some of the later buildings. Jim Lewis came on board with DVC after SSR was already in the pipeline, so perhaps it was something he considered. New management often brings a new perspective.

Deciding to create a higher point chart for the Kidani units at AKV would undoubtedly be a PR blow to DVC, making such a move unlikely. But legally it remains an option.

I don't think adjusting the point charts are something DVC will even have to worry about. A lot of the rooms at the AKL are specific to that building (consierge and value) plus there should be enough people who like the convienience of staying in the lodge who won't care about not having a second bathroom or the extra size in the room.

Personally I'd rather stay in the Villas building, but the OP shows that there are different likes for everyone which is why I think the DVC program is as successful as it seems to be.

I don't think adjusting the point charts are something DVC will even have to worry about.

I agree from a demand standpoint--both locations will hold their own appeal.

If they did change the point charts, I think it would have more to do with it dawning on someone that they could squeeze a bit more money out of the project. As it stands, all Standard and Savannah rooms at Kidani will cost the same as their Jambo counterparts. Yet the Kidani rooms are larger and a the second bathroom. "Hey, why don't we charge an extra point per night for the bigger rooms?" More points per night means more points for DVC to sell.

I certainly wouldn't put-off an AKV purchase out of fear that this could happen, but functionally it's possible.

ALL of the concept art, floorplans and model room photos that DVC has published are for the new building.
That's true except for the GV floor plan which is for the GVs in the Lodge. The GVs in Kidani Village will be two stories and a bit smaller, 2201 sq ft vs 2349 sq ft for the GVs in the Lodge.

I don't believe they have the option of changing points now that they have already sold some contracts as the people can contend that the promise of two buildings was made and the points chart was set. I was only asking because I hadn't looked at the chart and thought maybe it was a preferred/standard type thing with the buildings.

I don't believe they have the option of changing points now that they have already sold some contracts as the people can contend that the promise of two buildings was made and the points chart was set. I was only asking because I hadn't looked at the chart and thought maybe it was a preferred/standard type thing with the buildings.

I think this is one of those cases where what guides say and what DVC is legally held-to are different things.

I don't know that there has even been an enforcable "promise of two buildings" on any level. The resort development overview still shows Kidani as "pending construction", and I suspect the same is true within the POS.

Even still, the POS doesn't contain the point charts. The POS dictates the guidelines under which DVC can alter the point charts once they are published. But individual units (rooms) wouldn't be subject to any point charts until they are moved into inventory. I don't see any reason why DVC couldn't create a separate point chart just prior to moving the first Kidani units into inventory for active sales.

I really don't think one needs to be concerned about a change in the point charts as to Kidani. If you look at them, you will realize that they came up with those point charts with the larger rooms of Kidani in mind. Everyone should note that for the vast majority of rooms (Savannah point cost) most times of year, the points needed are higher than BCV, VWL or BWV preferred, i.e., they have already built into the chart the highest point costs on site.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter