AKV: Some important dates to know

Caskbill

<font color="blue">DVC-Operations<br>DVC-Planning<
There have been a number of threads asking various questions about dates concerning AKV. I thought a recap here might be useful. This is the information I have which should be accurate. However please note that DVC has been changing dates a lot, so keep this in mind.

As of 2/7/07.
...Only current DVC members may purchase AKV points. Purchases will be for AKV Phase I and will include 2007 UY points
...Purchase price is $101/point
...Purchase 100 point minimum, and can select incentive of either $8.00/point, or matching number of developer points. If selecting developer points, those points must be used within 7-months, cannot be banked, and will expire if not used.
...Purchase 150 point minimum and member is considered 'Founding Member' for AKV. Name will be put on tapestry which will hang in lobby of both phase I resort, and another in lobby of phase II resort which will open in 2009.

Applicable Dates:

Feb 28th:
...Last day to purchase and become a Founding Member. (150 point minimum purchase). Note: This date may have been extended until March 5th (extension not substantiated)

March 5th: (Note: Edited. In another post by Scotch on 2/9/07, he reports his guide told him the March 5th date for the price increase and $8.00 incentive was moved back to June 4th. No word on developer points, general public sales, or what UY will apply.)
...Price increases from $101/point to $104/point.
...$8.00 incentive ends (no word on if a new incentive will start)
...Developer point incentive ends
...Sales open to general public. Do not need to be a current DVC member to purchase AKV
...Points sold will be for AKV phase II. This means buyers will get 2008 UY points. They will not get 2007 UY points.

May 16th:
...AKV owners may begin booking reservations using their AKV points. Those reservations may be for any DVC resort but only for dates of Sep 1st and later. An AKV owner for example cannot use AKV points to book BWV, for example, for an August 2007 stay, even though it would be within the 7-month booking window.

Edit: June 4th
...See note above for Mar 5th.

June 6th:
...DVC owners who do not have AKV as a home resort, may begin booking AKV using their regular Home Resort points.

September 1st:
...AKV Phase I opens.
...Those who have AKV Phase I points (2007 UY), maintenance fees begin. (There are no maintenance fees for the timeframe between time of purchase and Sep 1st)

Just FYI. Hope this helps.

May 16th:
...AKV owners may begin booking reservations using their AKV points.
June 6th:
...DVC owners who do not have AKV as a home resort, may begin booking AKV using their regular Home Resort points.
Have you heard whether these dates may be modified to accomodate the mandatory 1 month home resort priority period for owners at AKV?

-- Suzanne

Thanks for the consolidated info Bill! Looks like it is a much better deal to buy now than wait a month - you get 2007 points, developer points and a better price. Although I think they will offer some other type of incentive then too.

Also it would be good for people to know that if you have an existing reservation already and that reservation is in the upcoming 7 months you can have MS apply your developer point to the existing reservation and free up the original points. Be sure that the points that you are freeing up were not orginally banked or borrowed. I confirmed with MS that I could free up Septermer 06 points that I could bank before I had them do the conversion. I was able to switch out some of my Sept 06 Beach club points and since I was still in the banking window I banked them to September 07.

Have you heard whether these dates may be modified to accomodate the mandatory 1 month home resort priority period for owners at AKV?

-- Suzanne
Interesting observation. Those are the dates I was given. Unless the date was meant to be May 6th and not the 16th. That would make a little more sense. Or maybe it was the 6th and they moved it back to the 16th for some reason, perhaps to have more time for the computers to be ready, or something like that.

I'll see if I can clarify.

Also it would be good for people to know that if you have an existing reservation already and that reservation is in the upcoming 7 months you can have MS apply your developer point to the existing reservation and free up the original points. Be sure that the points that you are freeing up were not orginally banked or borrowed. I confirmed with MS that I could free up Septermer 06 points that I could bank before I had them do the conversion. I was able to switch out some of my Sept 06 Beach club points and since I was still in the banking window I banked them to September 07.

You can also re-allocate points to substitute developer points for points borrowed from 2007. Those borrowed points will be returned and developer points used instead.

Developer points do not show in your online account, and require a special form (and a little more time) to book with - call MS as usual, but ressies will not show immediately, either.

AKV MFs will be $4.62.

-- Suzanne
They didn't for previous openings, at least for SSR which is the only one I recall any difference at all. My guess is that that rule would not apply in this situation since it's already under the 7 month window. Of course one could ask the question why other DVC members couldn't book from the word go since it's under 7 months out. This would seem to be a fair compromise both ways.

Interesting.

We were told that at least a limited number of 07 UY points would be available to the general public....

So, is June 6th still the first date that Non-AKV owners can book at AKV? Just want to make sure that still stands, b/c I thought I saw somewhere else that any member could start booking in May (which didn't sound right to me):surfweb:
I want to make sure I call the second it opens up! We really want to stay there this fall. (though we would be very happy with OKW too- heck we'll be in WDW, right?!):banana: :love:

For selfish reasons, I hope they push back the June 6th date to June 16th (for that mandatory 1 month thing). I'm really anxious to stay there in early September, and on June 6, I'll be in the depths of the Grand Tetons/Yellowstone, and I don't know what cell phone reception is like (besides, I'd have to get up at 6:00 to call). So unless they push the date back to June 16, can someone save me a room? Oh, well-I can hope.

I hiked up to Lake Elizabeth in the northeast section of Yellowstone park, and was able to get a reliable albeit weak connection with my then super- cheapo cell phone. This was in Summer 2004.
-- Matthew

For selfish reasons, I hope they push back the June 6th date to June 16th (for that mandatory 1 month thing). I'm really anxious to stay there in early September, and on June 6, I'll be in the depths of the Grand Tetons/Yellowstone, and I don't know what cell phone reception is like (besides, I'd have to get up at 6:00 to call). So unless they push the date back to June 16, can someone save me a room? Oh, well-I can hope.

What is AKV's Phase I and Phase II?

I thought the different phases were for buildings.

September 1st:
...AKV Phase I opens.
...Those who have AKV Phase I points (2007 UY), maintenance fees begin. (There are no maintenance fees for the timeframe between time of purchase and Sep 1st)

Just FYI. Hope this helps.

I believe AKV dues start the later of 9/1 or your UY.

As always, you rule Caskbill! Thanks for putting this together in such a neat and easy format.

So am I correct in assuming that on May 16, AKV owners can book stays for dates from September 1, 2007 through April 15, 2008?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter