• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Aladdin's final performance on January 10, 2016

Beauty and the Beast and The Little Mermaid both featured a widower with children
[...]
Snow White in the original story her mom dies
Cinderella in the original story her mom dies
Sleeping Beauty in the original story her mom dies
Here's my own Google list of Disney mother issues (I'm including yours, too, for sake of completeness):

Snow White: dead mom, evil stepmom
Pinocchio: no mom, though that makes sense in context of the story
Dumbo: traumatic separation from mom
Bambi: no explanation needed
Cinderella: dead mom (yes, it's true that this is due to the original story, but it's still notable that Disney liked picking stories/plots with dead or absent moms)
Sleeping Beauty: mom is not named but visible on the sidelines (in the original Grimm story "Dornroeschen" the mother actually does NOT die but falls with the entire court into a 100-year long sleep with her daughter... no Prince Philipp in that one...); interestingly, the queen is named "Leah" in the Wikipedia entry for the Disney movie, but I don't know where they got that one, I don't think it appears in the movie
Sword in the Stone: Arthur is an orphan
Jungle Book: Mowgli is an orphan
The Rescuers: One of the main characters, Penny, is an orphan
Oliver and Company: orphaned kittens
The Little Mermaid: dead mother
Beauty and the Beast: dead mother
Aladdin: Aladdin is an orphan, Jasmine's mom is dead
Lion King: this one bucks the trend by having dad rather than mom die
Pocahontas: absent or dead mom (she's not mentioned, if I remember correctly)
Tarzan: orphaned
Lilo and Stitch: orphaned
Finding Nemo: dead mom
Ratatouille: no mom
Enchanted: no parents
Princess and the Frog: another outlier, mom is alive, dad is dead (my 9-year old daughter, whose looking over my shoulder as I am writing this, reminded me that Charlotte seems to not have a mom)
Tangled: Flynn Rider is orphaned
Brave: mom is in mortal danger but survives (also, in this one, I love that the mom is an interestingly written character rather than an ornament)
Frozen: dead parents
Big Hero 6: dead parents

In add fairness, we have to consider that many children's and young adult stories to have dead or dying parents in them, partially because trauma and loss tend to drive a story and add danger and urgency to the plot. Also, much of the source material is from fairy tales and older stories, in which child bed fever and other dangerous diseases were still a reality, probably resulting for the many stories that have step moms in them. Looking at the above list, I notice that it's obviously not just the moms, but there are also a good number of dead dads, so that my put a bit of a dent into my theory.

I wonder if some of Walt Disney's issues with loss had to do with his own history. When I read his biography, I found that he did (when he was an adult, it happened in 1938) lose his mom in an accident in a house that he had bought for his parents after his success with Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. According to the Wikipedia entry on Flora Call Disney (citing Pat Williams's "How to Be Like Walt" as source) her death "plagued her son Walt with grief for the rest of his life." So it wouldn't be surprised that he felt drawn to stories that circle around loss and overcoming the adversity and sadness that comes with such losses.

Of course all of this is utterly off topic for this thread (unless we consider the loss of a beloved show a traumatic loss o_O)... It's just something I find extremely interesting.

MommyLove, OT, but what template (if any) did you use for your layout? Your pages looks awesome!
Thank you, Christine! :love:

My pocket pages that use the white stitching are from this set of templates:
http://www.designerdigitals.com/digital-scrapbooking/supplies/product_info.php/products_id/15552
I may have edited a couple pockets here and there to accommodate what photos I have and which ones I want to have bigger, etc. Pretty easy to do. I love all the stuff in that store. For the Disney-themed goodies, I love Project Mouse. If you click on the layouts in my sig it will take you to the gallery where I post all my Disney pages.

After 9 pages of conversation I had to put my two cents in.

My DD (3) loves Frozen, but she also loves Aladdin. We haven't seen the Aladdin musical, but won't be now. I know that she would have adored it. Probably more than Frozen because she talks about Genie a lot. My DS (11) & DS (12) are sick of Frozen and won't tolerate a show dedicated to it. I am also in agreement with other posters that there isn't nearly enough Disney goodness for boys. We just returned from our first WDW trip and there are far more character meet pictures for my DD because of the sheer number of princesses compared to princes and other male characters. Disney has decades of stories to pull from that don't include Anna & Elsa.

Thank you, Christine! :love:

My pocket pages that use the white stitching are from this set of templates:
http://www.designerdigitals.com/digital-scrapbooking/supplies/product_info.php/products_id/15552
I may have edited a couple pockets here and there to accommodate what photos I have and which ones I want to have bigger, etc. Pretty easy to do. I love all the stuff in that store. For the Disney-themed goodies, I love Project Mouse. If you click on the layouts in my sig it will take you to the gallery where I post all my Disney pages.

Oh...Kathleen! You are an enabler! I've scrapbooked for YEARS, was on 2 DTs, and then went back to work FT 4 years ago & could barely keep up with Project Life...until this summer when I said "I don't care how much I own in physical scrapbooking supplies, I'm going digital!" :)

I love Frozen and think it would be a good show. It would be interesting to see if they add in any hidden tricks or get a life sized reindeer for Sven like they had with the Elephant for abu. I don't care how much Frozen they shove into the parks I love it all :)

For the love of all that is good in this world... ENOUGH FROZEN. I have never gone from liking a movie to hating it with every fiber of my being due to sheer overload until now. Frozen was a perfectly good movie, which Disney has ruined by exploiting it at every turn. It is sick.

I totally agree. When I was in WalMart in Orlando this summer they had Frozen everything include GRAPES with the logo on the package. What makes them FROZEN? Did she eat grapes in the movie???? I am waiting to go down the sanitary products aisle or the toilet paper aisle and fine frozen products there too!!!

I totally agree. When I was in WalMart in Orlando this summer they had Frozen everything include GRAPES with the logo on the package. What makes them FROZEN? Did she eat grapes in the movie???? I am waiting to go down the sanitary products aisle or the toilet paper aisle and fine frozen products there too!!!

I work in a grocery store: we sell Frozen Kleenex!

I mentioned on Facebook this morning that it definitely seems like the Disney Parks -- not just Disneyland Resort but WDW too -- are in a big transitional phase right now. They are gearing up to break ground on Star Wars Land next year, and they are adding a bunch of things to WDW in general. At the same time, things are disappearing from DLR and WDW, left and right. From pumpkin carvers, to fried green tomato sandwiches and bumblebee cupcakes, to Aladdin, to the Halloween Carnival, to the Ranch, petting zoo and BBQ, to the Osborne Lights at WDW.... a lot of things are disappearing or being reduced. The other day I was reminded that the pretzel rods had supposedly disappeared from DLR as well, because, apparently, they were not selling well. :confused:

There are probably other things that have been cut back or reduced, but they are lesser-known things that wouldn't be announced in a Parks Blog.
I also read on the WDW forums that they are getting rid of the current popcorn they sell & replacing it with Popsecret & people are upset because for one they like the popcorn they currently have but also, the new popcorn has dairy & people who cannot eat dairy won't be able to eat it like the current popcorn which is dairy free. And the vanilla dole whip swirl is no longer available. Dole whip is but the vanilla soft serve is gone. There has been way too much change in such a short period of time. I hope people complain so, that Disney knows what the public actually wants. My DH & DS's are happy about Starwarsland as they don't think there is not enough boy stuff at Disney which I agree but don't change everything so fast & keep some of the stuff we all like & enjoy going to see every year that makes us want to come back.

Last edited:
I actually love Frozen but will miss the Aladding show tremendously. All things Disney are constantly changing and I am thankful for that, as it keeps me planning for new things to experience.

I actually love Frozen but will miss the Aladding show tremendously. All things Disney are constantly changing and I am thankful for that, as it keeps me planning for new things to experience.

Really? That makes me sad, Aladdin is such a fantastic production!!! Definitely going to make sure to see it again one last time when we are there in a few weeks.[/QUOT

Where is the Aladdin show at?!?! I have not come across it on the website and LOVE Aladdin!!! 1st trip Nov. 11-19

Oh...Kathleen! You are an enabler! I've scrapbooked for YEARS, was on 2 DTs, and then went back to work FT 4 years ago & could barely keep up with Project Life...until this summer when I said "I don't care how much I own in physical scrapbooking supplies, I'm going digital!" :)
Cool! Do you keep a gallery? I was a SAHM mom until January when I got a full time job, and yes, digital scrapbooking makes scrapbooking even POSSIBLE for me!

Didnt like the frozen movie. Didnt get the hype over it.

Gimme little mermaid anyday.

Then last year at epcot some people were waiting up to 8 hours to meet the characters.
These are probably the same people who are now moaning that maelstorm has gone and a frozen ride will be put in its place.

So for everyone who queued up for hours to meet these characters from the film, without them realising they partly responsible for all these frozen rides and shows.

What can ya do?

Anyway i am pleased that i saw the show three weks ago, i didnt know at the time that it was being pulled in january.
Genie was great :-)

I emailed Disney and got a response, which surprised me. I had aimed my criticism at the overuse of Frozen, but they sent me the "Disneyland will never be complete" quote and reminded me that Walt favored change. I wasn't questioning that, sigh.

We went to see Aladdin a few days ago, during Dapper Day. I'm glad we did that.

I'm considering a day trip to catch the last performance on January 10th - and then booking it back to Phoenix for classes that start up the next day!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter