• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Alaska cruise 2023 - Other cruise lines?

Agree. We were Deck 2 last summer, and it was a chilly week, so I don't think I'd have been out there anyway. We sat on 4, outside at Cabanas, stood in line for characters (many of whom were outside). I didn't miss the balcony at all.
YMMV, we did a cruise last August and had many days where we used the balcony, had a few hours of watching pods of whales on one of the ā€˜seaā€™ days.

While it is not a ā€œsmallā€ ship, you may want to look in to Holland America Line (HAL). Their ships are generally smaller than even the Magic & Wonder, with lower prices than Disney. They do cater to a slightly older demographic, but Alaska tends to lower that on any cruise line; that destination offers so many adventurous activities, I find it odd that people consider it an old-people place to go.

Alaska cruises also seem more casual, probably thanks to the active days and colder weather. If you sail Cunard, you still have to dress up. Otherwise, very few ships are requiring certain dress.

I have not sailed HAL - yet - but it is in contention for my next AK cruise (I have done Disney, Princess x2, and NCL). Celebrity is probably second in consideration. I could easily jump on Princess again in any year. Price and itinerary are my biggest determinants. Now, itā€™s airfare that is the holdup.

Other than Disney ships, I donā€™t bother with most entertainment; not a big fan of what is offered. And I prefer ships without a lot of loud music (I would have been this way at any point of my life - and itā€™s not even autism, just not a wild party person).

A small shipā€˜s biggest drawback to me is similar to being in concierge or staying at a B&B - too much being fussed over / known by everyone. I like the ability to just be part of the (not too big) masses. But I will talk to pretty much anyone.
Thanks, I've got some time, it won't be until 2024, I've got my WDW/DCL trip this summer and Hawaii over the holidays first.
My husband and I are in our 60s, so older demo is ok:)
Appreciate the info. I'm retired, and the joke in my family is that we are much more active on vacation than we are on a daily basis, often ramping up the active and exercise to get ready. While I've gotten a little more selective in my hotel choice as I've gotten older, we aren't "hang at the hotel/pool people. We do some small group things like food tours, etc

but mostly explore on our own.
I think that is why we haven't cruised before; not interested in big group excursions or just hanging on the ship.
I'll enjoy the shows on my upcoming Wish cruise, but it's not an itinerary I would choose on my own. It was a grandchild request. I grew up on the Gulf coast, plus grandparents in Galveston, so beach days are ok, but not super special. My granddaughter and niece are looking forward to Atlantis Waterpark, but I'm super nervous about it.

What ship were you on? Did it have an Alfredo's? Also, we really like the International Cafe on the Princess ships.

Been to Alaska 3 times. Once on the Wonder (our best cruise ever - DVC Member Cruise back in 2015 and we loved that because it was a full inside passage out of Vancouver) and twice on Princess (Emerald Princess and Crown Princess). We enjoyed our Princess cruises as well. However, we have also taken Regal Princess in the Caribbean, and I have to say that Regal Princess is a step above IMHO what the Emerald and Crown were.

Princess has incredible pizza, especially if there is an Alfredo's/Gigi's on the ship...
We were on Royal Princess! It did have Alfredos and we LOVED it. I am gluten free and it was the best gluten free pizza I think I've ever had. DH and DD can eat normal food and they were also huge fans. We had lunch there three times.

I didn't hit up International Cafe at all, but DD loved it. She would get a snack and a water and go dance around in the piazza. She really liked all the live music.

There were a few things we didn't love about Princess compared to Disney, but it wouldn't put us off sailing Princess again for an itinerary we were excited about.

We were on Royal Princess! It did have Alfredos and we LOVED it. I am gluten free and it was the best gluten free pizza I think I've ever had. DH and DD can eat normal food and they were also huge fans. We had lunch there three times.

I didn't hit up International Cafe at all, but DD loved it. She would get a snack and a water and go dance around in the piazza. She really liked all the live music.

There were a few things we didn't love about Princess compared to Disney, but it wouldn't put us off sailing Princess again for an itinerary we were excited about.
Glad you had a good time! My wife is GF as well and it is good to know about their GF pizza! We had gotten it in Slice on the Caribbean Princess a few months ago and she liked it. Also, the chef at the International Cafe made her special GF breakfast sandwiches every day.

Royal Princess is sister to the Regal Princess (though Regal has an added aft pool that Royal I do not believe has). We have really enjoyed Princess. Like you, I would definitely say DCL is our 1A (and, quite honestly, Virgin Voyages may be becoming our 1B), but outside of that, Princess is probably our preferred line. I've tried to like RCCL and have done 3 cruises with them, but for us, we liked Princess as well as the new Carnival ships (Mardi Gras, etc.) better than our RCCL experience.

That said, everyone likes different things in cruises and that is just what works for us. YMMV...

Glad you had a good time! My wife is GF as well and it is good to know about their GF pizza! We had gotten it in Slice on the Caribbean Princess a few months ago and she liked it. Also, the chef at the International Cafe made her special GF breakfast sandwiches every day.

Royal Princess is sister to the Regal Princess (though Regal has an added aft pool that Royal I do not believe has). We have really enjoyed Princess. Like you, I would definitely say DCL is our 1A (and, quite honestly, Virgin Voyages may be becoming our 1B), but outside of that, Princess is probably our preferred line. I've tried to like RCCL and have done 3 cruises with them, but for us, we liked Princess as well as the new Carnival ships (Mardi Gras, etc.) better than our RCCL experience.

That said, everyone likes different things in cruises and that is just what works for us. YMMV...
I'm going to have to get one of those International Cafe GF breakfast sandwiches next time! Thanks for the tip!

My husband and I really need to try out a Virgin Voyages sailing! I think we would really enjoy it.

I'm going to have to get one of those International Cafe GF breakfast sandwiches next time! Thanks for the tip!

My husband and I really need to try out a Virgin Voyages sailing! I think we would really enjoy it.
The food on Virgin and the hammock on the balcony are absolutely amazing. It is a bit different of a cruise, though, but we have really enjoyed the change. One thing I really like is that there's no "upselling", so all the restaurants are "specialty" (there is no MDR) and they are all included. Really the only thing extra is booze and specialty coffees (Coke products, etc. are included). Also, Virgin includes all gratuities in the price of the cruise, so that's already included. This includes when you buy a drink, so no additional 18% upcharge on drink prices. Virgin pays their staff so that they do not have to rely on tips (I 100% believe that this is a Richard Branson/British thing and it is so refreshing!).

Also, the president of Virgin Voyages is Tom McAlpin, who just so happened to be president of DCL awhile back...

The food on Virgin and the hammock on the balcony are absolutely amazing. It is a bit different of a cruise, though, but we have really enjoyed the change. One thing I really like is that there's no "upselling", so all the restaurants are "specialty" (there is no MDR) and they are all included. Really the only thing extra is booze and specialty coffees (Coke products, etc. are included). Also, Virgin includes all gratuities in the price of the cruise, so that's already included. This includes when you buy a drink, so no additional 18% upcharge on drink prices. Virgin pays their staff so that they do not have to rely on tips (I 100% believe that this is a Richard Branson/British thing and it is so refreshing!).

Also, the president of Virgin Voyages is Tom McAlpin, who just so happened to be president of DCL awhile back...
Yes, I love all of that! I'm a TA and when I did the Virgin Voyages training, I said over and over that many of the differentiators and ways of doing business that Virgin Voyages was highlighting to us felt very much like the way DCL has sought to set itself apart in the cruising industry. The similarities between the two lines - while they're largely going after different market shares - are very clear.

Definitely want to try Virgin, especially now that they have more itineraries.

Yes, I love all of that! I'm a TA and when I did the Virgin Voyages training, I said over and over that many of the differentiators and ways of doing business that Virgin Voyages was highlighting to us felt very much like the way DCL has sought to set itself apart in the cruising industry. The similarities between the two lines - while they're largely going after different market shares - are very clear.
Ha! Funny world. DW is a "FirstMate" as well!

Last edited:
Virgin is a good experience. Hope you like it.

Quite honestly, not sure I've ever had a "bad" cruise, no matter what line!

I feel the same; however, I have never been on a cruise ship that had an accident or a major mechanical issue. Our son got covid on our July cruise, and we quarantined for part of it. We still had a great time. I don't think I have ever had a bad vacation to be honest, and we have had some doozy major events happen during vacation.

Majestic Princess is going to be my first cruise. It's a one-way Vancouver to Whittier itinerary with DD and my mom. We got the obstructed balcony for a very reasonable price and I can't wait! I love how high-tech they are with the medallion (think magic band) for everyone. I am over the moon planning and learning the ropes online. I saw an Alaskan Disney that was twice as much but not sure what they include in comparison. I added a few excursions like dog sled, mining, and horseback riding. Any one want to talk Princess, I'm all (not Mickey this time) ears.

I will be on Holland of America in May on an Alaskan cruise , will report on the experience after. I have been on Virgin twice (first and second cruise of my life). Loved Virgin, wonderfull staff , wonderfull food, exceptional shows. Lots of places to hang-out.

Weā€™re cruising to Alaska on Discovery Princess this September. My sister and her family, the folks we normally cruise DCL with, have no interest in visiting Alaska, so mom and I decided to book with Princess. We throughly enjoyed our January 2022 Southern Caribbean cruise aboard Regal Princess.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel youā€™ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter