• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Alaska Cruise - Covid Testing Question

Hi All, as far as I know the Amtrak train from Seattle to Vancouver is not running yet, although hopefully before the cruise season starts. All Amtrak Seattle to Vancouver bookings currently are buses.

Hi All, as far as I know the Amtrak train from Seattle to Vancouver is not running yet, although hopefully before the cruise season starts. All Amtrak Seattle to Vancouver bookings currently are buses.
I was able to book our tickets for the 9th so yes, hopefully they have that train up and running by then!!! 😧 I did read an article that says they were running test runs and another said should be open by June 3rd.

Last edited:
Oh, thanks for the tip! I booked it for our July trip (and they gladly took my credit card lol), so hopefully it's running soon! The bus just wouldn't be the same.😐

As of right now the rapid test will need to be completed by a certified provider. “Taking a rapid antigen test at home is not sufficient to meet the pre-entry requirement – it must be authorized by the country in which it was purchased and must be administered by a laboratory, healthcare entity or telehealth service,”

this is something about the changes that’s confusing me, it states an at home test is not sufficient but in the last part mentions telehealth service is which is a test performed at home but via video call with the company to witness, only aware of this as its what we Brits are currently needing to use for travel to the USA

I think they consider 'telehealth at home' as not really 'at home' (the one that I do privately in my bathroom no one is monitoring) vs someone sitting there with you on the telehealth watching what you do.

thank you, this is what I figured was likely the case but because it states taking a test at home is not sufficient it was confusing and I defined don’t want to get it wrong and not be allowed entry, they should word it as an unsupervised/non telehealth home test is not sufficient in the first instance

Oh, thanks for the tip! I booked it for our July trip (and they gladly took my credit card lol), so hopefully it's running soon! The bus just wouldn't be the same.😐

I agree! It was not very clear on the website what type of transportation it was, so I called. I hope it is running by May, otherwise we will be renting a car. The train would be awesome though, much preferred to bus.

Just wondering what happens if you test positive after the cruise and can't fly home. Would Disney help with accommodations and how long would you have to quarantine for? I know it's all speculation at this time, but still something I'm concerned about.

? I know it's all speculation at this time

No speculation please (That gets the threads closed), but based on what they do in Florida, you would be on your own for accommodations and quarantine will be based on current Canadian requirements which are still TBD.

I agree! It was not very clear on the website what type of transportation it was, so I called. I hope it is running by May, otherwise we will be renting a car. The train would be awesome though, much preferred to bus.

When you are on the Amtrak home page, you will see two symbols - a bus and a train. Prior to June 3, they only show bus service.

Beginning June 3, train service is shown.

The train runs an early morning and evening route from Seattle to Vancouver. The mid-day routes are by bus.

The same is true on the return from Vancouver. There is an early morning and evening train. Mid-day is by bus.

When you are on the Amtrak home page, you will see two symbols - a bus and a train. Prior to June 3, they only show bus service.

The train runs an early morning and evening route from Seattle to Vancouver. The mid-day routes are by bus.

The same is true on the return from Vancouver. There is an early morning and evening train. Mid-day is by bus.

Thanks! They updated it since I last looked at it. Glad that the services are coming back, sucks that it is after our trip.

Thanks for mentioning this! I had just looked a day or two ago and they all had buses connecting to the train. Now it shows two times with just the train! Woo hoo! Maybe now I can finalize my travel plans!!!

According to this, it looks like U.S. Citizens returning to the US do not need to test when returning by train? Screen Shot 2022-02-18 at 5.45.15 PM.png

According to this, it looks like U.S. Citizens returning to the US do not need to test when returning by train?
That is correct. US citizens have only ever been required to test when re-entering the US by air. US citizens entering by land or sea have not needed a test except for the limited set of circumstances where CDC guidelines require testing on cruises.

If this rule is still in place by that time (I'm sailing Alaska in May) I would expect that DCL will offer a test on the ship the day before for a fee. They do that now for international travelers who need it to return home. Or they will offer one at the port when disembarking. I'm hoping everything has improved so much by then that the testing requirements will no longer be in place.

They are already offering post-debarkation testing for a fee. We are on the cruise returning from Hawaii, so I e-mailed Inspire and they confirmed that they will offer it in Vancouver.

Post-Cruise Testing Service for Guests Returning Home
Some Guests may be required by their home country or state public health authorities to show proof of a negative COVID-19 antigen or PCR test result before returning home by air. Inspire Diagnostics, Disney Cruise Line’s third-party testing provider, offers this optional service for $98.33 per person for PCR testing, and $41.40 per person for antigen testing. Guests are responsible for knowing what type of test their home country/state requires (PCR or antigen), and the window of time in which it must be conducted. Testing is conducted at the terminal after disembarking the ship. Results take approximately 45 minutes to 2 hours, depending on the type of test. This service is available for cruises beginning on or after January 31, 2022. For more information and to book an appointment, visit the Safe Passage website.

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/why-cruise-disney/experience-updates/debarkation-day-us/

thank you, this is what I figured was likely the case but because it states taking a test at home is not sufficient it was confusing and I defined don’t want to get it wrong and not be allowed entry, they should word it as an unsupervised/non telehealth home test is not sufficient in the first instance

We did an at home PCR which was monitored via a Zoom meeting and that was acceptable to Disney for the 90 Day Covid recovered exemption. Husband's came back positive, mine came back negative but I used his results that were emailed to us to submit to Safe Passage for the exemption.

Thanks for mentioning this! I had just looked a day or two ago and they all had buses connecting to the train. Now it shows two times with just the train! Woo hoo! Maybe now I can finalize my travel plans!!!

Of course I didn't have time to dig the passports out the other day and today went to sit down and book everything since schools are closed (so I have the day off) and the trains aren't showing up on the website! :sad::sad::sad:

Of course I didn't have time to dig the passports out the other day and today went to sit down and book everything since schools are closed (so I have the day off) and the trains aren't showing up on the website! :sad::sad::sad:
Just checked in the Amtrak app and our July reservation for the train from Seattle to Vancouver, BC now says "Service has been canceled" on it. 😕 Haven't heard anything from Amtrak directly about it yet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter