Alaska Cruise - turns out it's on grandma's bucket list - new question in post 74

That's great! Whether your daughter decides to do a land trip through the cruise line or rent a car and tour independently - she'll have a great time. If she decides to go the rental car route, I STRONGLY suggest reserving the car ASAP. They tend to be very expensive in Alaska, although when I reserved my car a year in advance, I got a very good rate.

For a one-time trip, I'd spend 2 or 3 nights near Denali National Park and take the shuttle bus at least to the Eielson Visitor Center at mile 66 of the park road (http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/visiting-denali.htm). A night or two in Seward would be great, too. The most scenic section of the Alaska railroad is between Anchorage and Seward - even prettier than the view from the road.

Thanks!! She's been reading everything she can find on the internet and has decided to do an independent pre-cruise tour.

She's thinking of flying into Fairbanks and starting her touring from there. It seems to her there are a lot of good day trips from Fairbanks.
That way they won't be going straight from their very very long flights (across the Atlantic and across the US) to very long train and bus rides.
That way when they get to Denali, they'll be up for the long rides deep into the park.
What do you think of that approach?

Also, in addition to the Eielson Visitor Center, which she's planning on doing, what other things do you suggest she do in Denali?

Also, is there anything specific you suggest they see in Talkeetna?

And finally, in Kenai, which length cruise of the fjords and whale watching do you suggest? And which company do you think is good?

oh...and one final final question, do you think it's worth spending time in anchorage?

Thanks!! She's been reading everything she can find on the internet and has decided to do an independent pre-cruise tour.

She's thinking of flying into Fairbanks and starting her touring from there. It seems to her there are a lot of good day trips from Fairbanks.
That way they won't be going straight from their very very long flights (across the Atlantic and across the US) to very long train and bus rides.
That way when they get to Denali, they'll be up for the long rides deep into the park.

Also, in addition to the Eielson Visitor Center, which she's planning on doing, what other things do you suggest she do in Denali?

And finally, in Kenai, which length cruise of the fjords and whale watching do you suggest? And which company do you think is good?

oh...and one final final question, do you think it's worth spending time in anchorage?

Where does your daughter live that she will be flying across the Atlantic? If she is going to take trains rather than rent a car, then flying into Fairbanks is a great idea. If she is going to rent a car in Fairbanks for drop-off in Seward, then I think Hertz is the only national car rental company with locations in both cities. (There are more flights into Anchorage than into Fairbanks, and they usually cost a little less into Anchorage.) I haven't been to Fairbanks, but there are plenty of things to do there for a few days. If/when I get to Fairbanks, I want to do a day trip to the Arctic Circle: http://www.northernalaska.com/

The park road at Denali National Park is 92 miles long. When you buy your shuttle ticket in advance, you choose how far into the park you want to go. The Eielson Visitor Center at mile 66 would be my minimum, but a lot of people go to Wonder Lake at mile 85 or even to Kantishna at mile 90. I stayed at the Denali Lakeview Inn (www.denalilakeviewinn.com) in Healy 2 nights and took the shuttle bus into the park one day. We were there in early August, and it snowed the day we went into the park! The web site for Denali National Park (http://www.nps.gov/dena/index.htm) will list other activities - including seeing the sled dog kennels.

Talkeetna is a cute town, and most of the Mt. McKinley flights depart from the airport there. We did a flight with a glacier landing out of Talkeetna on the day we drove to the park from Anchorage; http://talkeetnaaero.com/

The Kenai Fjords tours are all out of Seward. I went on a 6-hour glacier cruise (11:30-5:30), and that would be my minimum time recommendation. The Northwestern Fjords cruise is 9 hours. The Resurrection Bay cruises are much shorter (~ 3 hours), and they don't get very far into the bay. Warning - those cruises can be rough, so take precautions for motion sickness! There are several companies that do the cruises, and I have heard good things about all of them. Kenai Fjords Tours: http://www.kenaifjords.com/; Major Marine: http://www.majormarine.com/

Anchorage is a big city, but it's a great home base for exploring the area with a rental car. There's a lot to see north, east, and south of Anchorage!

I want to recommend my favorite Alaska guide book: Frommer's Alaska by Charles Wohlforth. The 2011 edition came out in February, and I imagine the 2012 edition will be out around the same time this winter. I prefer it to the "ports of call" books by Frommer and Fodor. I also suggest taking a look at the Alaska board at Cruise Critic: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55. One more thing: there are several discount coupon books that can save you a lot of money...IF you plan to do some of the more expensive tours on the land trip such as the Kenai Fjords cruise, McKinley flightseeing, and the Alaska Railroad. Some will also work in the port towns. They are the TourSaver @ $99.95 (http://www.toursaver.com/home/) and Northern Lights @ $55.00 (http://www.alaska-discounts.com/).

NancyIL has already given you a lot of information, if your daughter wants to drive herself vs. taking a cruisetour. I enjoyed my 8-day pre-cruise cruisetour immensely, but I was traveling solo, so driving myself was out of the question.

I *HIGHLY* recommend including travel on the Alaskan Railway. It's a wonderful way to travel. You are free to look at all the scenery (rather than the poor driver having to watch where they're going). And the scenery really is spectacular. I *believe* that you can book Princess's private cars, even if you aren't cruising with them, *if* they have room. The cruisetours obviously take precedence. But we had a few folks in our car who weren't doing a cruisetour. The regular cars are fine, but the private cars are much nicer. (Holland America also has private cars; I'm not sure if RCCL does or not. They didn't 7 years ago.)

I would take the longest Kenai Fjords cruise she can. There's a ton of wildlife out there (including seals and whales). Tell her to be careful though; a *LOT* of people come back from those cruises sunburnt! But it's a gorgeous area, with tons to see. On my second trip to Alaska, we actually stayed in Girdwood, and traveled to Seward. We used Kenai Fjord Tours, and they were great.

I really, really liked Fairbanks. It's a cool little town. There's a free shuttle run by one of the Hotel companies up there that you can take all around town. The University of Fairbanks has a phenomenal museum (Museum of the North), there's a really cool historical center there (Pioneer Village) and there are places nearby where you can do hokey stuff like pan for gold.

Anchorage is also a very nice city. There's tons of paths to bicycle along the shoreline, and places to rent the bikes. Downtown is very walkable, with lots of shopping. There's a very interesting Native American center there, also. And it's a great base to do day trips from.

I think them flying in early to either Fairbanks or Anchorage is a really good idea, to allow time to get over jetlag & catch up on sleep.

Sayhello

you both are GREAT!!!
i keep telling DD to come onto the board herself, but in any case, i've been copying everything and gmailing it to her (and the questions are hers)...

Nancy, we all live in Israel (we're originally from Michigan, but have lived in Israel for 21 years)....so it is a very very long flight...or rather flights...
i'm starting to look now if i can get her the longer legs with my frequent flyer points...(keep your fingers crossed)..

she is planning on taking the train and buses, just not an organized tour...
her husband broke his back a few years ago, and so must take things at a slower pace....it's easier when you go independent....that way she can pick and choose what they do...what's appropriate for him...and they can rest more or less, whatever works for them...

you both are GREAT!!!
i keep telling DD to come onto the board herself, but in any case, i've been copying everything and gmailing it to her (and the questions are hers)...

Nancy, we all live in Israel (we're originally from Michigan, but have lived in Israel for 21 years)....so it is a very very long flight...or rather flights...
i'm starting to look now if i can get her the longer legs with my frequent flyer points...(keep your fingers crossed)..

her husband broke his back a few years ago, and so must take things at a slower pace....it's easier when you go independent....that way she can pick and choose what they do...what's appropriate for him...and they can rest more or less, whatever works for them...
Whoa! Israel *is* a very long flight! I flew there a year ago last May, and the flight back to Ohio was bad enough! She definitely wants to get all the bang she can for her time!

With her husband's situation, I would *REALLY* recommend the train! You can get up & walk around whenever you want to, which can be a big relief for a bad back (believe me, I *KNOW*!) I'd also caution her that the Denali tours that NancyIL describes are VERY long bus rides on a school bus (not a nice motorcoach). I just couldn't face that long on a bumpy old bus. The bus does not make very many stops, although I do believe you can get off & get back on another bus. I don't know if her husband's condition affects his sitting or not, but just thought I'd mention that. Man! That flight probably isn't the easiest thing for him, either!

I agree that doing things at their own pace is probably better than being herded on a tour, given her husband's condition.

I did find that you can book the Princess Railcards without being on their cruise. There seems to be several options:

http://www.princesslodges.com/alaska-rail-tours-noflash.cfm#tourResults

Sayhello

With her husband's situation, I would *REALLY* recommend the train! You can get up & walk around whenever you want to, which can be a big relief for a bad back (believe me, I *KNOW*!) I'd also caution her that the Denali tours that NancyIL describes are VERY long bus rides on a school bus (not a nice motorcoach). I just couldn't face that long on a bumpy old bus. The bus does not make very many stops, although I do believe you can get off & get back on another bus. I don't know if her husband's condition affects his sitting or not, but just thought I'd mention that. Man! That flight probably isn't the easiest thing for him, either!

You are right that the Denali Park shuttle buses are school buses, and most of the roads aren't paved. The further you go into the park, the longer the bus ride. The buses do stop about every 90 minutes, and you can get off one bus and onto a later one if you want to spend more time in a particular area.

The tour buses are also school buses, but the driver gives commentary. (Some shuttle bus drivers also give commentary, but you can't count on that.) The Tundra Wilderness Tour is 7-8 hours long and goes to at least mile 53 of the park road. The Natural History Tour is 4.5-5 hours, but goes only to mile 17. Sorry, but I still wouldn't recommend it to others.

you both are GREAT!!!

I'm originally from Michigan, too (Kalamazoo), but have lived in Illinois the past 30 years. :)

I didn't realize Israel was THAT warm year round! I have a cruise booked for April 2013 that visits several ports in Egypt, and I imagine that will be pretty warm, as well! (Given the current political climate in Egypt, I may cancel that cruise.)

I'm originally from Michigan, too (Kalamazoo), but have lived in Illinois the past 30 years. :)

I didn't realize Israel was THAT warm year round! I have a cruise booked for April 2013 that visits several ports in Egypt, and I imagine that will be pretty warm, as well! (Given the current political climate in Egypt, I may cancel that cruise.)
It actually depends on where in Israel (although it isn't that big a place, comparatively). My sister lives right on the Mediterranean, and the weather there is very similar to Southern California. I was there in May and wore a light sweater. Then again, when I lived in Southern California, we didn't go outside if the temperature was below 60, as it was just way too cold! It's all relative!

Sayhello

Whoa! Israel *is* a very long flight! I flew there a year ago last May, and the flight back to Ohio was bad enough! She definitely wants to get all the bang she can for her time!

I agree that doing things at their own pace is probably better than being herded on a tour, given her husband's condition.

I did find that you can book the Princess Railcards without being on their cruise. There seems to be several options:

http://www.princesslodges.com/alaska-rail-tours-noflash.cfm#tourResults

Sayhello

thanks!!! she mentioned to me a little while ago that she thinks they might not go deep into denali for that very reason...

as noted, israel is tiny, but it depends where you are as to what the temperature is (on the coast, up in the hills, etc)....
but in general it has two seasons - rainy and dry....about 6 months each..
in the summer, it's hot everywhere, doesn't matter where you are....
the only difference is in some places it's humid, in other places it's dry (the desert).....and it doesn't rain anywhere...

in the winter, it depends where you are - in jerusalem it gets cold since it's up in the hills...

but down in the coastal area (i'm 10 minutes from the mediterranean) it's really quite mild all winter....we think it's cold but anyone from michigan would laugh at us....it drops to 70 and we're all in winter jackets and boots..
actually, most people are already in boots the moment the temperature drops into the 70's....

the summer temperatures in alaska is the dead of winter for us......and at that, it only gets that cold rarely.......
i already told DD that she'll have to buy long underwear to wear in alaska...actually i think they'll need to wear two pairs each....50 degrees is beyond what we're used to....
it all has to do with what you're used to....
and of course, it will be beastly hot here right before they leave for alaska, so it will be an even greater shock to their system...

as noted, israel is tiny, but it depends where you are as to what the temperature is (on the coast, up in the hills, etc)....
but in general it has two seasons - rainy and dry....about 6 months each..
in the summer, it's hot everywhere, doesn't matter where you are....
the only difference is in some places it's humid, in other places it's dry (the desert).....and it doesn't rain anywhere...

in the winter, it depends where you are - in jerusalem it gets cold since it's up in the hills...

but down in the coastal area (i'm 10 minutes from the mediterranean) it's really quite mild all winter....we think it's cold but anyone from michigan would laugh at us....it drops to 70 and we're all in winter jackets and boots..
actually, most people are already in boots the moment the temperature drops into the 70's....

the summer temperatures in alaska is the dead of winter for us......and at that, it only gets that cold rarely.......
i already told DD that she'll have to buy long underwear to wear in alaska...actually i think they'll need to wear two pairs each....50 degrees is beyond what we're used to....
it all has to do with what you're used to....
and of course, it will be beastly hot here right before they leave for alaska, so it will be an even greater shock to their system...
Tell your daughter to get them nice Gore Tex waterproof hooded jackets! In my experience, it drizzles in Alaska more than real rain, and a good Gore Tex jacket can make all the difference! Buy it a little over-sized so they can layer a fleece top under it if necessary!

Sayhello

Tell your daughter to get them nice Gore Tex waterproof hooded jackets! In my experience, it drizzles in Alaska more than real rain, and a good Gore Tex jacket can make all the difference! Buy it a little over-sized so they can layer a fleece top under it if necessary!

Sayhello

thanks, i'll tell her. I'm sure they have it in one of the hiking stores here.

well i just booked them two business class tickets to new york using my frequent flyer points (my son in law has to fly business on very long flights because of his back).
now i have to find them the rest of the flights - he'll have to rough it in economy for all the domestic flights. :)

Bob & I went the first week in Sept. It was way before Disney was going there, we were on a Royal Carib ship. We had great weather: coolish in am, but nice as day progressed, I understand this is rarer than normal. The key is to wear layers & peel off as youu go. We has one day that it sprinkled in am, sunny later. The problem is that Alaska is in the 2nd largest rain forest. I really think the temperature shouldn't be a deal breaker for you. Our side trips were in buses, trains, & one in a cab so you don't have to be outside all the time. The scenery & the experiences on these cruises is spectacular.
My one regret is that we didn't add the land package to our trip. If I ever get to go again, I plan to do that. Di

Bob & I went the first week in Sept. It was way before Disney was going there, we were on a Royal Carib ship. We had great weather: coolish in am, but nice as day progressed, I understand this is rarer than normal. The key is to wear layers & peel off as youu go. We has one day that it sprinkled in am, sunny later. The problem is that Alaska is in the 2nd largest rain forest. I really think the temperature shouldn't be a deal breaker for you. Our side trips were in buses, trains, & one in a cab so you don't have to be outside all the time. The scenery & the experiences on these cruises is spectacular.
My one regret is that we didn't add the land package to our trip. If I ever get to go again, I plan to do that. Di

hi Diane!! she's booked the RCCL and already has most of her hotels and train segments booked for before the cruise...they're going to be there a week before the cruise...
i don't know how she's going to be able to wait half a year until the trip!! :goodvibes

anyone know a nice hotel in anchorage? we can't figure out what's nice or even what area to stay in there...
I stayed in a B&B just outside of town. Nice place, but not terribly convenient. But Anchorage is small; no place is too far away. I can find the info for you if you'd like.

ABD uses the Anchorage Marriott Downtown, and it's nice, and well located. The Hotel Captain Cook is also really nice, and very well located to the waterfront, shopping, restaurants, etc. (I should add that I haven't stayed at either. Some folks on my ABD stayed at the Marriott & liked it, and we stopped for lunch at the Captain Cook on my cruisetour, so I saw the lobby, etc, and that was really nice).

Sayhello

anyone know a nice hotel in anchorage? we can't figure out what's nice or even what area to stay in there...

Anchorage hotels are expensive in the summer! I have stayed at Homewood Suites (midtown), Holiday Inn Express by the airport, and the Extended Stay Deluxe Downtown. Without a car, I would suggest the Hilton or the Marriott downtown. The Hilton is pretty close to the train station.

Thanks for all those suggestions. We'll check them out.

I'm having a good time helping her plan the trip!! :)

By the way, in the end she reserved the train trips directly with Princess, so she'll be in their train car for Fairbanks to Denali and from Denali to Talkeetna and Anchorage. We called them up and they were really sweet on the phone.

We still have to reserve her last train segment (anchorage/seward).
We'll try to do that one tomorrow.

oh and she'll rent a car just for when they're in fairbanks. She's already reserved one with Alamo.

Thanks for all those suggestions. We'll check them out.

I'm having a good time helping her plan the trip!! :)

By the way, in the end she reserved the train trips directly with Princess, so she'll be in their train car for Fairbanks to Denali and from Denali to Talkeetna and Anchorage. We called them up and they were really sweet on the phone.

We still have to reserve her last train segment (anchorage/seward).
We'll try to do that one tomorrow.

oh and she'll rent a car just for when they're in fairbanks. She's already reserved one with Alamo.

You're doing a great job! You ought to go with your daughter and son-in-law!

The train from Anchorage to Seward is early in the morning, but it's such a pretty ride. Will they stay overnight in Seward? We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express, and it was one of the nicer HI Expresses where we've stayed.

You're doing a great job! You ought to go with your daughter and son-in-law!

The train from Anchorage to Seward is early in the morning, but it's such a pretty ride. Will they stay overnight in Seward? We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express, and it was one of the nicer HI Expresses where we've stayed.

yes, they'll stay overnight in seward - so they're already there for the cruise..
i always arrive for cruises the day before - i'm a nutcase that way...

thanks for mentioning the holiday inn express...
i couldn't figure out which one was better, the HI or the best western..
we were having a tough time choosing which one..

i the HI looks really nice...

by the way, do you know where the boat will be docked?

she thought she might visit the sea life center in seward..
she's not going to go on a fjord cruise as she's afraid of getting seasick and she doesn't want to get sick before getting on the big ship...
so she'll just do little things in seward....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter