• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Alaska cruise without entering the US

Daniel MacQueen

Earning My Ears
Probably one of the most bizarre and possibly stupid thread title I've ever written!!

Was looking at cruises recently after watching the podcasts describing the Alaska cruises and would really love to be able to see the scenery up there.
The only problem is that due to my own youthful stupidity many years ago I'm unfortunately not able to enter the US.
I was hoping there was a possibility to take a cruise from Vancouver and just stay aboard the ship when it called in at the Alaskan ports. Or would that not be possible due to the ship being in U.S. waters?

I can hope to get a positive answer but I expect I'll just have to accept that I'll never see Alaska just like I'll probably never see Orlando again.

There are Vancouver to Vancouver cruises, not just Disney either. Do remember that the ships have to clear customs at each port. You might need to consult an immigration attorney or submit a query to the US Department of Homeland Security to get some more legal status. While Alaska may be off the table, there are some equally amazing places in the Yukon and British Columbia. You could even consider private charter from Prince rupert or other areas.

Thanks for the reply.

Canada's definitely on my to-do list of places to go, hoping to have a nice long vacation driving from Toronto - Vancouver sometime in the near future.

It's just the teams descriptions of the Alaskan scenery seen from the sea sounded so wonderful

I’m pretty sure Homeland would not let you board the ship. Even if the cruise sets sail from Vancouver, the ship’s manifest must be provided to them a few days in advance for clearance. Since the ports themselves do not screen passengers when they get off the ship, I don’t think the cruise line will take your word that you will not get off or put measures in place so that you do not. That’s the kind of situation where an immigration lawyer might be needed, or at least a call to a manager with the cruise line.

Nowadays you can’t board a cruise unless you are clear to enter all ports. You can’t just promise to not get off the ship.

I don’t think this is something you’ll be able to do.

But Canada is pretty strict, and yet there are legal processes to go through to see if they’ll allow people back in. Surely the US does, too?

For an Alaska cruise, you clear US customs before you even set foot on the cruise ship (this is true for all cruises leaving from Vancouver for Alaska, not just Disney). So no, without being able to enter the US, you cannot sail from Vancouver on an Alaska cruise.

Overstayed on the Visa Waiver Program, lost the privilege of entering the U.S. visa free forever and not much chance of ever being approved for a tourist visa
I understand Disneyland Paris is pretty nice and we really enjoyed our DCL - Norwegian Fjords cruise last year. We took a DCL - Alaska cruise a few years back and there were similarities with the Norwegian Fjords cruise. You don't see glaciers on the Norway cruise and the Alaskan cruise does have more wildlife sightings, but the fjords of Norway are spectacular.

May I ask what you did?

I was curious as well since Canada seemed to be no problem, and they're who people seem to have issues with when they have DUIs.

But I agree...I don't see it happening. The same reason that you have to have a visa for some countries a ship visits on an itinerary even if you don't have any intention of getting off in that country. There's no guarantee to CBP that you wouldn't - and then if there is an emergency and you had to be evacuated... Yeah. I don't see it happening.

Probably one of the most bizarre and possibly stupid thread title I've ever written!!

Was looking at cruises recently after watching the podcasts describing the Alaska cruises and would really love to be able to see the scenery up there.
The only problem is that due to my own youthful stupidity many years ago I'm unfortunately not able to enter the US.
I was hoping there was a possibility to take a cruise from Vancouver and just stay aboard the ship when it called in at the Alaskan ports. Or would that not be possible due to the ship being in U.S. waters?

I can hope to get a positive answer but I expect I'll just have to accept that I'll never see Alaska just like I'll probably never see Orlando again.
Once the ship is in port you are "in" that country, even if you don't get off.

When you board a ship, you must be eligible to debark the ship at any port stop it may make. Even if you promise faithfully to not get off the ship, they will not let you board, if you cannot enter that country.

Once the ship is in port you are "in" that country, even if you don't get off.

When you board a ship, you must be eligible to debark the ship at any port stop it may make. Even if you promise faithfully to not get off the ship, they will not let you board, if you cannot enter that country.
That’s not entirely exact. We once did a TA that stopped in Morocco. The day before that stop, all guests had to turn in their passport so they could be verified by the local authorities. Holders of an Israeli passport or of an Israeli visa were prohibited from entering the country. Those guests had to stay onboard for that port stop. I’m certain the U.S. and Canada pre-check every guest but smaller countries wait until the day of to approve guests.

There's no guarantee to CBP that you wouldn't - and then if there is an emergency and you had to be evacuated..

I had that worry when I went to Puerto Vallarta a couple of years ago, the flight path from the U.K. to Mexico goes straight through the U.S.
I couldn't help worrying what if the plane had to make an unscheduled stop on the way. I'd have to stay on the airside of the airport no matter how long it took to sort out any problems with the plane.

Overstayed on the Visa Waiver Program, lost the privilege of entering the U.S. visa free forever and not much chance of ever being approved for a tourist visa

This is such a shame that they changed this to a forever ban. It used to be 10 years.

This is such a shame that they changed this to a forever ban. It used to be 10 years.

It is still a 10 year ban, my ban ended 5 years ago. However, my chances of being approved for a tourist visa after already abusing the privilege are very low indeed.

Interesting question. I would say no. I believe you have to clear U.S. Customs at the Vancouver port. We just did that cruise this June, and I seem to recall doing that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter